Our Novels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote  

My stuff is in The Library Cool

Still working on Dirt Tripper, mostly because I haven't been working on it... Laughing

There are a couple ideas I've come up with for stories but I'm not sure I can write them. One idea was a city populated by monsters instead of humans. On top of that, it would be a detective novel, with the detective investigating a murder and going around interviewing various monsters for clues. I took one stab at it a while back, got a paragraph down, but didn't like the way it was going. Maybe some day I'll give it another go.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Update on the Aeterna story:

First chapter is nearly finished. I would like to post a disclaimer for those who have issues with harsh language because in the beginning there are a couple characters who make frequent use. I am using it to put them in a certain light and it will be phased out before too long.

The reason for this is the way the fiancÚ is being portrayed. My original idea for her was to have them be very much in love when she died, but instead I've decided against that. The 2 will be maintaining a physical relationship. She has become a self-centered person living in a lot of denial so as not to take responsibility for her actions that led to the end of the engagement. She had gotten scared of the actual commitment and had cheated out of a desperation she felt. She is being portrayed in 2 ways. The first occurs in the first book and will be her as a self-centered person who uses the main character (now named Jacob) for physical release. She still loves him deep down, but to access that she has to live with what she's done to him and she can't make herself do that. She is killed by the man she cheated with, who has become obsessed with her and believes that by killing both himself and her that they can be together forever. These first few chapters will be very dark but I've researched it all in order to portray it as realistically as possible without alienating most readers.

The second incarnation of the woman will come when Jacob is seeing people in the 3rd book. He sees her as this perfect loving person who is just outstanding in every way. Being perfect, she knows she is just his perception of her. She is his memory of all that was good inside of her. I won't spoil how this all goes down but there it is.

There ya go Mara, now the parts with harsh language don't have to be read and you can skip to the actual story Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I actually finished my novel back In December, I'm very proud of it, even won an award at my school for most original idea.
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/requiem/6052490 I've actually sold a few copies.

As of right now I'm writing a short story about drug overdose, it's been pretty intense and a dark story but I think it is one of my best. [/url]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow, very impressive! Only know a few people to finish and publish an actual novel, so that's pretty awesome. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Wow, very impressive! Only know a few people to finish and publish an actual novel, so that's pretty awesome. Smile

Thank you, it took me about half a year to complete but it was a fun project to work on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm...listening to one of the EU podcasts a little while ago, I was suddenly inspired with a story idea. I'm very excited about writing it (and it should be fairly short), but I'm a little puzzled about how to go about it. I can't tell my idea, as usual, cause it would give away the climax that I'll be working up to. The main thing that has me baffled at the moment is that this story will have to be largely dialogueless...and dialogue is something I've always relied heavily upon in the past. So...

I'm going to start on it today some time, probably, and will see how it goes from there. I also have another short story in the works (again a secret), and I have a better idea how to go about that one. Will see if either one ever gets finished. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been trying to write a novel for years now, but I can't seem to get it right. I think I've tried to bite off more than I can chew. I've played around with a couple ideas, but I think they were all too ambitious for a first novel (I even attempted a novel that combined prose and poetry). So I've decided to take a step back and write a children's book, possibly a series. I want it to be a simple, idealized story about knights in the chivalric tradition. The sort of thing I wished I had as a child. That way the story can be fairly conventional, but it will still appear fresh in contrast to modern children's stories. Wish me luck. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote  

Will they be mouse knights? Depending on how young an age group, I'd suggest substituting human characters with animal characters. I know as a kid I always like those kind of stories. Animals have a great appeal to children, and if it were illustrated, it would certainly look cool. It would add to the fantasy of it, and provoke their imaginations.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wrote and published a book of essays back in 2008-2009, but since I do not hold some of the same views anymore, I took it down. Don't want to be making money off of something I don't follow.

Also since 2008/2009, I've been working on a serial, however, due to brutal language and violence, there are those who won't "get" what I am doing. A few friends of mine, who are all published authors, have compared Jake to Brett Easton Ellis American Psycho with a touch of Chuck Palahniuk.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Will they be mouse knights? Depending on how young an age group, I'd suggest substituting human characters with animal characters. I know as a kid I always like those kind of stories. Animals have a great appeal to children, and if it were illustrated, it would certainly look cool. It would add to the fantasy of it, and provoke their imaginations.

I've considered doing animals. I don't think I'd do mice though as that's been done to many times (Narnia, Redwall, Despereaux etc). I might do cats or dinosaurs, or just stick with humans. I've even thought of making the knights ride dinosaurs instead of horses. That way I could join my two childhood passions. But then another part of me wants to stick with a classic knight story. So we'll see.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Have them ride hippogriffs. Now that would be cool, and I bet kids would love it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ooh, jousting in the clouds. Cool

I pity the loser though...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Good luck, Reep Smile .

I've never written a full novel. A good few short stories and some novellas, both for personal recreation and for publication in various places, though. To add my thoughts, and possibly confuse yours, I'd go for keeping the main characters as humans. That way kids can better imagine themselves as the heroes (a bit like asking kids at the time of the OT: 'do you imagine yourself as Luke, Han or Chewie?'. Or for those growing up on the PT: 'do you imagine yourself as Obi-Wan, Anakin, or Jar Jar?'), but have a trusted side-kick in the form of an animal. Like a dog, or something. But a very smart animal, like Frasier's Eddie, or Kim Possible's mole rat. Or have the character have an affinity for animals. Or both. It's your story!

Another piece of advice I got from an author is to separate it into three acts, and write each of them as a self enclosed story, like a novella, and then once you write all three, you can go back and put in an overarching story. Or even include that as you write it, if you're feeling up to it. A bit like how Knight Errant was presented.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Another piece of advice I got from an author is to separate it into three acts, and write each of them as a self enclosed story, like a novella, and then once you write all three, you can go back and put in an overarching story. Or even include that as you write it, if you're feeling up to it. A bit like how Knight Errant was presented.

That's good advice actually. Although if I'm writing for kids, the story shouldn't top 200 pages so it might nit be necessary to break it down. I'll keep it in mind for the future though.

I'm leaning towards humans right now. I love talking animals and all, but I think knights are cool enough without needing to make them animals. I'm also leaning towards horse-mounts. Again, a classic chivalric story for kids is hard to find these days. I intend to change that. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

Isn't that how Star Wars happened? Sounds like wise advice to me. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 3