2013:What will the last major novel of Del Rey's contract be
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

In 2013 the last year of Del Rey's contract what do you want the last SW novel to be about?
a)A Post-Fate of the Jedi bridge novel to another 9-book series coming
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
b)The final adventure of Luke,Han and Leia
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
c)A Skywalker family adventure with Luke,Mara and Ben by Tim Zahn
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
d)A Second sequel novel to Allegiance by Tim Zahn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
e)A sequel to Shadows of Mindor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
f)A novel about a second Outbound Flight to another galaxy in the Legacy era
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Nah, he should be awesome enough that he sacrifices himself regardless.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Agreed.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I still think the final adventure of the Big Three should end with the Big Three perhaps leading an Outbound Flight II to another galaxy and never returning and Jaina or Allana likely grown up inherits the Falcon from Han.

Maybe the final adventure shouldn't happen till 2017(the 40th anniversary of SW). But 2013 would be a perfect date for it and Matt Stover should be the perfect author for it since he has always wanted to write it and it will mark the 30th anniversary of ROTJ.

Then again another good idea for a final adventure of the Big Three would be a 3-book hardcover trilogy of Episodes VII,VIII and IX based on Lucas' original ideas for the sequels and would be written by James Luceno or Matt Stover as I proposed in my other thread.

By the way what does anyone think of VileHero's idea of a Tim Zahn post-FOTJ adventure novel or a trilogy of novels with Luke and Ben Skywalker and a Thrawn clone lurking in the Unknown Regions but as a good guy and has to face a threat and has to face being a clone and the Legacy of Thrawn?

Exclamation Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

ronbond007 wrote:
I still think the final adventure of the Big Three should end with the Big Three perhaps leading an Outbound Flight II to another galaxy and never returning and Jaina or Allana likely grown up inherits the Falcon from Han.

Actually, I wouldn't mind that scenario at all... if it was done right. Color me intrigued.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Big 3 just wandering off and never being heard of again? Not a heroic enough end for me.

@VZ. Pleas no more Thrawns, that's what the Hand of Judgement is for.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Don't mind him VZ I'd love to see a Thrawn clone lurking in the Unknown Regions especially in the Legacy era and he was encoutered by Luke and Ben Skywalker. I heard a while back that Zahn would like a Thrawn clone up team up with Ben Skywalker and face a threat likely in the Unknown Regions. That would make an excellent SW novel.

Also I heard that Zahn would love to do a Skywalker family novel with Luke,Mara and Ben before LOTF to write the Skywalker family properly. I think Zahn should do a Ben Skywalker hardcover duology with the first hardcover novel to be a Skywalker family adventure with Luke,Mara and Ben likely having an adventure in the Unknown Regions set before LOTF and the second set after FOTJ with an adult Ben Skywalker returning to the Unknown Regions perhaps with his dad Luke and meeting a clone of Thrawn who is good and unsure of himself and under pressure from the Legacy of Thrawn and has to face a galactic threat that only the Thrawn clone could solve. Perhaps Luke and Ben team up with the Thrawn clone to defeat the threat. That would make an awesome SW hardcover duology from the master of the SW novels.

Very Happy Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
The Big 3 just wandering off and never being heard of again? Not a heroic enough end for me.

Well, I saw it as a more of a fade into the background kind of ending... only a bit more permanent. You know that they'll never come back... but there's still enough mystery left. I dunno, I'm a sucker for that type of thing.

Reepicheep wrote:
@VZ. Pleas no more Thrawns, that's what the Hand of Judgement is for.

Well yeah, and that's probably all that we're likely to get.

I talked to Zahn about it way back during Celebration III, and he talked about the merits and potential pitfalls of a story like that. It sounded to me like a topic he'd heard before, though whether from other fans or as an internal idea, I've no clue. We know there's cloning going on in the EU, obviously, and (in my opinion) the return of Thrawn turning out to be a big hoax in the Hand of Thrawn books disappointed me when I first read them. But even then, they did find a clone of him that was almost finished. And frankly, The Force Unleashed II and Crosscurrent have shown that cloning might make a bit of an EU comeback.

The genetic material for Thrawn is out there, most likely. I mean, it's not like the Empire to not have backups. Look at the Death Star. We've only ever had one Thrawn grace the EU, and I'll admit that it's unlikely to happen. But I think that my proposed pipe dream has at least the potential to tell a good story - a character who both is, and isn't, Thrawn.

But perhaps a story like this would run too similar to The Force Unleashed II...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't just say no more Thrawns, I say no more clones. They're wearing me thin. I'd prefer some characters to die and stay dead.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Amen to that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Old Master Ben wrote:
I don't just say no more Thrawns, I say no more clones. They're wearing me thin. I'd prefer some characters to die and stay dead.

Well, you can take solace in never getting Anakin Solo back! Wink

Right now, and for me, clones are a mixed bag. I think it's got potential. I didn't much care for the Emperor's clone, but C'Boath worked for me because he ended up crazy. Much in the same way that the Crosscurrent clones look to be... absolutely disgusting with all the cannibalism going on. Then on the flip side, you have the cookie cutter Secret Apprentice who will, by all accounts, end up being the same basic character.

I don't want clones to come in and take over the life of characters who die, but I think there's a place for clones to show a very different side of a character we haven't seen before. I'm not adverse to new characters being created to take over the same basic role, but... it is science fiction!

But then again, I grew up during the Spider-Man Clone Saga and loved the seemingly never-ending storyline to death. So there is a good chance my viewpoint is just crazy! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*sigh* Y'all just had to go remind me of Anakin Solo. Just when I thought I was done grieving. Wink But, hey, I'd rather he stay dead than be cloned or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't mind clones like the army from The Clone Wars. What I don't like is when a clone is used to bring back a character who died. I just feel like it makes that character's death insignificant. Even with Palpatine. Darth Vader sacrificed himself for his son and to rid the galaxy of his emperor, only to have Palpatine return in clone form. It makes Vader's sacrifice less significant.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes! I totally agree.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I hope that at San Diego Comic Con or Celebration V they will announce whether there will be post-FOTJ novels or what novels are coming in 2013. It's only one week to Comic Con and 4 weeks to CV.

Exclamation Very Happy Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote  

I voted for the bridge book because that's the most likely and I don't want to see the others (as much as I liked Shadows of Mindor, I'd rather Stover do something new).

However, what I really want to see, in fact, something I'd love them to do a gigantic series about, is a Droid Revolution, something with all the droids in the galaxy going to arms about. Probably them demanding sentient rights. I think that would be awesome.

Now as far as Thrawn clones go, I think it would be cool if they created another major Chiss character, but I think it would be a good angle if he was NOT another Thrawn but someone new. Right now we don't have any major Chiss characters.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 4