Choices of One by Timothy Zahn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm rather surprised everyone liked it so much. I thought it was good, but I was not overly enthused. Unpopular opinion is unpopular. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I'm not sure why I wasn't very impressed, but I wasn't. I must say, though, the Riptide excerpt is like the best Star Wars I've read in ages. I know it was short, but I read straight through it with no distractions, and I was completely captivated. Which is a rarity for me these days. Certainly hope the entire book is like that. Smile

Why are people saying that the whole book is Han's story? I don't mean to presume, perhaps Zahn himself has said this? But I would imagine Han would have had more of a part if this were the case. Not to say that he didn't, because he did. But I thought the story was about the choices each one made. Not just one. But that's just me.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Seriously, who cares if Luke and Mara see each other? I don't. I thought it was a good book and I didn't lose one moment of thought worrying if Luke would recognize Mara or vice-versa.

Canon Nazis. Laughing

Seriously though, Luke and Mara's meeting is something that I can shrug off, it won't keep me awake at night, but it's just an irritant. Sloppy story-telling. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
Why are people saying that the whole book is Han's story?

Because it opened with Han being presented with the dilemma of making a full commitment and it ended with Han having made that commitment. Everything in between led from point A to point B. This was essentially Han's story. Yes, there were some fun excursions along the way with Thrawn and others and a resolution for the Hand of Judgement, and other characters had choices to make. But the real choice was Han's direction. It was the moment he truly left his smuggler past behind and fully commitment to an ideal beyond himself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Speaking of The Hand of Thrawn, do you guys agree with the underlying principles? Can there be a benevolent Empire or is the Rebellion style way of doing the right way to go?

Given the Galactic Alliance is pretty effed up, I think the galaxy is pretty much screwed in every potential galactic government.

I honestly have to wonder how the Galactic Republic existed for twenty-five thousand years. The EU seems to be chiseling away at the prestige of that claim. I think the Expanded Universe and any sort of a successful galactic government are mutually exclusive.

I can't for the life of me remember who said it (one of the Communist guys: Lennin, Stalin etc) but he actually had a great point. After he saw the harm Communism had done he said that no matter what system of government you set up it's going to go wrong because every government is filled with human beings. Thus it's doomed from the start. There can be no such thing as a perfect government on this earth (I assume this also applies to a galaxy far, far away).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote  

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was Han's story. Seriously, it was a book with several threads, and all of them meet, but Han was not the only one or even the primary one. He was significant though.

So with canon, how is it suppose to go? Can Luke not know who Mara is until the Thrawn Trilogy, or can Mara not know who Luke is, or is it both? It's been a long time since I read those books, and I didn't pay close attention, so I'm not sure how fine a line Zahn walked on that one.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I couldn't care less if they knew each other before the Thrawn trilogy. I actually think that would be cool. My point was simply that Mara should not have been so clueless as she was on who Skywalker was. Some are saying she did know it was Luke Skywalker, and perhaps she did, but she sure was selling it pretty hard to herself that she didn't. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Oh, I couldn't care less if they knew each other before the Thrawn trilogy. I actually think that would be cool. My point was simply that Mara should not have been so clueless as she was on who Skywalker was. Some are saying she did know it was Luke Skywalker, and perhaps she did, but she sure was selling it pretty hard to herself that she didn't. Confused

Well, Vader did try to kill her.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have to say I was waiting they met each other before TTT since I began to read Allegiance. Just like the did in this book. Because, let's be sincere, how many of you do remember all the people they met 7-8 years ago?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
So with canon, how is it suppose to go? Can Luke not know who Mara is until the Thrawn Trilogy, or can Mara not know who Luke is, or is it both? It's been a long time since I read those books, and I didn't pay close attention, so I'm not sure how fine a line Zahn walked on that one.

Luke doesn't know who "Mara Jade" is until he meets her in HttE. (Well, technically, when Karrde mentions her name before that.) He doesn't know that she was the Emperor's Hand until that book.

Mara has known who Luke Skywalker is for a long time, at least since Jabba's Palace. I think it was clearly obvious that she'd made the connection in Choices of One. She was trying hard to convince herself because she didn't want to feel obligated to turn him over to Vader.

(Luckily for her. :D )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

JediMara77 wrote:
(Luckily for her. :D )

Ha, too true. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just finished the book, and I had mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I liked Mara's journey, and I liked how well Han was written. I really liked the Hand of Judgment, though except for LaRone they all kind of seem the same.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I'll admit, this next comment is based heavily on the fact that I read this sporadically over many weeks, but I just couldn't get into it as much as I wanted to. If I enjoyed it more from the get-go, I'd've been more motivated to keep with it, but nay.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
I think the problem is that it seems that Zahn is operating under the premise that the Unknown Regions is as large, if not larger, than known space. I find the idea appealing, and I don't think it even conflicts with the films, despite the scene in Attack of the Clones. Lucas' treatment of the Outer Rim in general seems to mesh with Zahn's Unknown Regions. But the Atlas and SW maps in general don't support the idea, except for some allusions to the idea that the two dimensional slice of the galaxy is all that comprises known space, and the third dimensional "height" of the galaxy that's unseen in the maps is all unknown.

So I'm re-reading Vision of the Future and I came across the passage which confirms my earlier speculation:

"...a holographic map of the galaxy, with sectors of the New Republic, the Empire, and the rest of the known regions marked out in a bewildering array of a dozen different colors. The whole variegated mosaic stretched across perhaps a quarter of the huge spiral. fading into neutral white where the edges of the Outer Rim Territories gave way to the vastness of the Unknown Regions beyond."

In Zahn's EU, the known galaxy comprises only a quarter of the spiral galaxy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote  

New cover for the paperback...

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

MUCH better cover.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 14 of 17