Avatar: The Last Airbender and Korra Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I was extremely dubious when season 3 began, but I have to say, I'm enjoying it more and more as it continues. The fight sequence from "The Terror Within" was one of the show's best and I feel they're finally nailing down the character dynamics.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay. Zaheer is offically my favourite Korra villain. They built up the suspense of who this guy is like with Amon, but this time the reveal wasn't a disappointment. Cool

EDIT: I need to talk some more lol.

I love the whole idea of the Red Lotus. In the original series the nations (at least the Fire Nation) were nationalistic and the White Lotus sought to open doors into the walls that separate the nations and embrace the fact that they are all one people - hence Iroh's familiarity with the other nations and their philosophies - while the Red Lotus wants to take it a step further and break those walls down completely.

I really want to see what Zuko's reaction to all of this. You would almost think he would be sympathetic to Zaheer's philosophy since he stepped down as Fire Lord, but he clearly opposes the Red Lotus. Because Zuko is now a high ranking member of the White Lotus, Zaheer's accusations of the White Lotus being the lapdog of corrupt leaders lands pretty close to his feet. I wonder if he will defend the Order, or take steps to reform it.
EDIT: Huh. I'm not seeing anything on the Avatar wiki that Zuko is a high-ranking member of the White Lotus or a member at all. Something gave me the impression he was. That's a bit disappointing...

I also wonder what role, if any, the new Fire Lord will play in all of this. Personally, I'd like her to be a good leader to contrast with the Earth Queen and President Raiko.

I also really like how this is connecting back to Book 2. In Book 2 - other than a mention of Amon and President Raiko - it's like Book 1 never happened. I'm happy that there's more continuity this time around.

I don't think Legend of Korra has ever gripped me the way it has now.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I agree, Reep, Zaheer's group is just as engaging as Amon (pre-reveal) and way more interesting than Unalaq.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I actually really liked the final two episodes. Maybe I'm just relieved to finally have a Korra season finale that feels satisfying... not that everything wrapped up nicely, but this ending made me feel more confidant that Bryke actually have an overarching plan for this show.

While Amon and Unalaq started out promising but ended with disappointment the Red Lotus were awesome for the entire season. Their philosophy was fascinating and they felt like the most dangerous opponent yet. At the end of Season 2, I complained that Unulaq's threat was so extreme that the next two seasons couldn't hope to top it. Although the stakes were higher for the world in Season 2, I felt like the stakes were higher for the characters in Season 3 (which is something I get a lot more invested in). I actually felt genuine fear for the characters this season.

One of my biggest complaint about the ending of Season 1 was that, although Amon was physically defeated, I felt that his ideology was left unanswered. He did have some points that were left ultimately unaddressed. Same goes for Zaheer. And by the end of the last episode, I think Korra knows it. She assisted the world leaders and brought down a terrorist, but is that all the Avatar is - a lapdog of governments? By the end of Season 4, I suspect a lot of my complaints in the earlier seasons will be forgiven in hindsight.

I loved how this season tied the other the others together thematically and left on an emotional cliffhanger.

I'm looking forward to next season.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how awesome Jinora's initiation ceremony was!

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Agh! Season 3 was epic! I think I missed ever commenting on Season 2, but I didn't like it at all. It was boring, not the least bit captivating, and over the top for such a villain, among other things. Season 3, however, has restored my faith in the series. I loved all of it. Smile

Edit: Also, the feels! I almost cried.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I didn't cry, but I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the entire finale. I can't remember feeling that concerned for the characters since the Book 3 finale of the original series. I actually cheered out loud when Suyin took out P'li and when Korra started breaking her chains while in the Avatar State.

And about Book 2. It's been too long to comment too much - other than how awesome theWan episodes were - but I seemed to like more than most people, but it was still a definitely a significant step down. UnaVaatu was so cheesy. It's the sort of thing my sisters and I would have laughed at when we were kids.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I HATED that ending Mad .

They wheel Korra out as FDR and everyone is patting her on the head saying, "oh, you poor thing..." way to crap on the main character...not that it's very hard to do. It's obvious that no one cares about this show. Nick doesn't care, the viewers don't care, that's why it is unofficially canceled, and most of all the writer's don't care. If they did then Korra wouldn't be the worst character on the show. Can anyone really deny that is not true?

I was most dissapointed because I finally thought that the show was going to live up to it's potential and deal with some of the philosophical and complex emotional issues that it brought up, and then they had to just go and make the villain a cardboard Lex Luther YET AGAIN.

I won't go on complaining, I know why this show is bad. I just don't know why they did it that way.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I HATED that ending Mad .
They wheel Korra out as FDR and everyone is patting her on the head saying, "oh, you poor thing..." way to crap on the main character...not that it's very hard to do. It's obvious that no one cares about this show. Nick doesn't care, the viewers don't care, that's why it is unofficially canceled, and most of all the writer's don't care.

I care.

Seriously, though, I do get what you're saying. Korra being presented as a relative weakling when push comes to shove is one of my persistent gripes with this show, along with character work in general (though I need to point out that Korra did beat Zaheer... it just took a big toll on her).

I'm holding out hope that Korra will some epic character-defining moments in Season 4 and until then I'm going to avoid being too harsh. Once all four seasons are released, I'll be able to judge it as a whole. I'm still a Legend of Korra defender.

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I was most dissapointed because I finally thought that the show was going to live up to it's potential and deal with some of the philosophical and complex emotional issues that it brought up, and then they had to just go and make the villain a cardboard Lex Luther YET AGAIN.

As I mentioned earlier, I think (hope?) that this will be addressed in Season 4. I'm not sure why exactly Korra is crying at the end of the final episode, but my initial reaction was that she is feeling so conflicted because her enemies are always defeated physically, but never answered.

If this was a standalone, I would agree that the ending would a letdown - Here's a villain with an interesting philosophy, let's beat him into the ground and silence him! The end - but I think it made for a great setup to whatever comes next... provided that what comes next is awesome. I want to have faith in Mike DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko because I think they've earned it after the masterful job they did with the original series. Season 4 is going to make it or break it for me.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's a very good point. I did like this season for the most part and if the story is continued into the final season, and not just dropped like the last two story lines, it could be something quite good.

I think season one works OK for a stand alone series. It's not great, but it's probably the most clearly defined story for the series so far.

Season two is the most disjointed for me. I still don't really understand all that spirit world stuff and so far the only consequence of merging the two realms is that people are mildly annoyed by spirits floating around. The Avatar origin was pretty cool, but it seems like they built a mostly pointless season around just telling that one story.

Season three has been the best and it hammered out some of the problems of the series. The new characters were all well developed. But it felt more like a first season of a show to me. If it had been the first season I would be pretty happy about what could come next, but since it's the second to last, it's a bit too little too late.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree that I don't understand what exactly the point of season two was supposed to be. I didn't feel any of the characters learned anything or grew very much. I am immensely pleased with season three because I feel the ending is going to force some growth on the characters next season.

As for Korra being the least likable character of her own show, I have to disagree. I'd give Mako that title.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't mean the least likeable character, I meant the least developed character. And if Mako is the least likeable think about the fact that most of Korra's characterization came from her dating him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would agree that Mako is the least likable character. However, I do find Korra likable, even if her character development seems stuck sometimes.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Season 4 to start October 3rd! Seems like they want to get it over with as fast as possible. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I know. It's strange. Still... huzzah for the short wait! I'm not going to watch trailers or anything. With this little amount of time before the release, I may as well go in spoiler free.

It sounds like Mike and Bryan are giving the Avatar universe a rest indefinitely after Book 4 of Korra ends. I'll probably give whatever they do next a try, even if I will miss getting new stuff from the Avatar universe.

Anyone going to be playing the video game btw? I'm normally not much of a gamer, but I thought I'd give the PC version a try. The gameplay looks pretty cool.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 19 of 21