Avatar: The Last Airbender and Korra Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Anyone else get the sense that Korra will be the last Avatar?

I think I started suspecting it early on in Book 3 and now that I'm re-watching Book 2, I'm seeing more signs that point to that ending. Think about what the Avatar is: the bridge between the physical and spirit worlds and the keeper of balance in the world, especially between the four nations. Thing is, when Korra left the spirit portals open, bridging the two worlds, she rendered obsolete one of the major duties of the Avatar. Then there's the other duty. The United Republic of Nations is tasked with uniting the world with or without the Avatar and, now that the Air Nomads are taking on more responsibilities, the Avatar is needed less and less. Or so it seems. All of this leads up to Korra's depressed state at the end of Book 3. She feels that the Avatar is no longer needed.

All three villains have tried and failed to destroy the Avatar, but what if Korra separates herself from Raava of her own free will, thus ending the Avatar cycle? This idea ties a lot of ideas in the show together. Korra's inability to truly defeat every villain she's faced (physically, yes, but she hasn't answered their philosophies). The theme of being open to change and that things we think of as permanent might not be. There was an era before the Avatar, so why not an era after the Avatar?

So that's my theory, but if this actually happened, I think my thoughts would be very mixed. As a standalone series, I think it would be an interesting ending and it would be a good way to make the story more cohesive, but I have a problem with it (other than "No!!! Avatar forever!!!") in light of the larger story, including the original series.

In the Avatar Wan episodes, the story goes that people lived on separate Lion Turtles, ignorant of each other's existence and therefore hostile to each other's differences when they come in contact. One of the reasons Wan became the Avatar was to make peace between the four nations. At the end of his life, Wan thinks he has failed but Raava assures him that the Avatar will be back and they will never give up (until they achieve balance?). I get the sense that each Avatar leaves the world a little more balanced than it was and that if balance is ever truly achieved the Avatar will no longer be needed. It makes the Avatar universe feel like an allegory for the history of our world - with the conflicts resulting from our separation from each other in the past - and the idea of progress.

However, that is not at all the sense I got from the original series. I've heard these words a million times: "Long ago the four nations lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked." Before the war, the world was at peace. It was, relatively speaking, balanced. The Avatar disappeared, the Fire Nation went on a rampage, and went Aang woke up, the world was severely imbalanced and Aang was shocked to hear of a war that had been raging for a hundred years because the time he lived in had been so peaceful i.e. balanced. I always got the sense that Aang had one of the most difficult tasks of any Avatar, because it was the Avatar's job to maintain balance - not steadily progress from the imbalance in Wan's time to some endpoint in the future. That is why an Avatar like Kuruk could be a "go with the flow" Avatar. The world was already pretty balanced and he didn't have any major tasks to do. Hopefully I'm making sense.

Also, remember that the White Lotus, an order that transcended the borders of the nations, presented themselves as those who still cling to the ancient ways. I always took this to mean the time before the war, or maybe earlier before the nationalism and rigid borders of the four nations during the Hundred Year War. This also doesn't fit with the idea of a world that gradually becomes more balanced.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree. I see that as the continued problem of the show ramping things up to world changing/devastating consequences.

I like the mythology and the world, I would watch a show about the small problems and personal lives of any of the past avatars. But I understand that if this series is going to close out the Avatar Universe, then it wants to create a definitive ending and not just have this be a moment in time for that Universe.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I like the mythology and the world, I would watch a show about the small problems and personal lives of any of the past avatars.

Yeah, agreed. One of the things I liked about Book 1 of Korra was that the threat was relatively small and localized. Obviously, Amon was a significant threat, but its not like the world would have imploded or anything if he took over Republic City. That's about as big a threat as I imagine the average Avatar would face.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The trailer confuses me. What is going on? I feel the show will suffer due to the fact they want it over and done with. As many shows have suffered before. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't seen the trailer. With this little time between seasons, I thought I'd be able to resist the temptations.

EDIT: I found this comparison of Aang and Korra the other day. I thought it was pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k4o2YAf2A

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

After season one when the show was picked up it was planned for four seasons. You'd think that would mean they had an idea for what the show would be doing and how it would end up, but it doesn't really seem that way.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Whoo! Book 4 has begun!

I don't have too much to say about the first episode, but I did like it. I can't say I like those new Airbender outfits though. They remind me too much of Banshee from X-Men. No offence to Banshee, but I just think the traditional monk robes and staff fit better for this world. Oh, and I guess the internet was right about Kuvira being the new villain.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Agreed on the outfits, Reep. Although I am digging Korra's new look. I was very pleased with the new episode. I was unaware that there was gonna be a time gap between books 3 and 4, but was pleasantly surprised and happy about the chance to see all the characters grow up. I'm very interested in Kuvira as the new Big Bad. Her goal is admirable, but she's clearly willing to go too far to achieve it.

Also, Prince Woo is obnoxious and needs to go. You want that kinda character done right, see Varrick.

Those without swords can still die upon them

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I was unaware that there was gonna be a time gap between books 3 and 4, but was pleasantly surprised and happy about the chance to see all the characters grow up.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

The glory of that moment still moves me.

Those without swords can still die upon them

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jinorra's haircut is stupid. Korra's is OK. I'll miss the tassels. haha

I liked the trailer, but it was all action scenes, so who knows. Kuvira or whatever was so predictable as the villian that I am not too thrilled.

Oh yeah and
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I thought the first episode was okay. Opal being all angry with Bolin doesn't make much sense, though. But outside of that it was decent.

I'm with Dog in that I'm not too thrilled with Kuvira at present. But we shall see.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, so far Kuvira doesn't intrigue me like the other villains did. Hopefully she'll reveal an interesting philosophy or motivation at some point, because right now she's just consolidating territory to gain power and that's about it.

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Opal being all angry with Bolin doesn't make much sense, though.

What confused me was why Bolin joined Kuvira's team in the first place. Seemed kind of random.

Also, I should add on to what I was saying earlier. Korra might not be the last Avatar, but at this point I would be surprised if the role of the Avatar isn't at least changed in some major way going forward.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Really good episode today! The character-based episodes have always been my favourites. I think Korra now rivals some of my favourite characters from the original show. I still like Aang, Zuko, and Iroh better than Korra, but I think she's on par with Katara, Sokka, and Toph - maybe even a bit higher.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, one of the best episodes of the series so far. But that cliff hanger ending was a killer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 20 of 21