Shadow of Mordor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow of Mordor
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So I don't know whether we've all discussed this before, but unlike most people on the planet, I had not read or watched Lord of the Rings before this year. But now, I have! I started with the Extended Editions (oh my gosh, so long), and then watched the theatrical versions. I will admit the first time through I was very critical, mostly because Jackson assumes you already know the story. I didn't, and was extremely confused, especially during The Two Towers.

But now that I've had a second viewing, I'm really falling for the whole universe. As such, I heard about Shadow of Mordor and had to purchase it. I've only put in a few hours so far, but is anyone else playing this game?

This morning I saw the following comment on a review site, which cracked me up:

"I love that this game exists, mainly because to me, the most memorable moments of the original trilogy are those during which Aragorn is wading into the crowd swinging Narsil. A welcome respite from so many hours of watching Sam deliberate whether or not he should try to make out with Mr. Frodo."

Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote  

I very much want to, it looks really amazing. In any event it went on my Christmas wish list.

I would personally recommend you read the books now. They help fill in some details and it's also pretty fun to see what they changed to make things more acceptable to a modern audience. (For example Arwen has a more prominent role in the films whereas she's mostly relegated to the appendixes of the actual books). Personally I like the Lord of the Rings more than Harry Potter but that's largely due to me favoring swords over magic (pretty much any RPG I have the option between sword/bow wielding warrior and mage I always pick sword/bow because, for whatever reason, I find it more satisfying than shooting fireballs of death at enemies).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

After a reviewer friend described it as the best game he's ever played, I felt that I must own it as soon as possible. But I have a rule, after one too many disappointing first day purchases, to never buy so quickly. I fear I must wait a few months. Anyway, have you seen that video of one player turning 19 orcs against one was chief?

Also, you haven't read the books or watched the films until recently? Oh Mara. It's not that I'm angry, I'm just disappointed .....
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm very picky about control schemes of video games. It looks a lot like assassin's creed or dragon age 2. I was hoping for something a little less button mashing.

It looks great, but I'm not sure about the controls. I also didn't see from the gameplay I've seen what kind of rpg elements it has, if any. I have a feeling that it might not be the game for me.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I will admit that the first couple hours I played, I wasn't interested. It felt boring and repetitive. But that was possibly due to my lack of familiarity with the game and controls. As time goes on, I find myself becoming more and more addicted. Observations to follow:

1. There is little to no RPG element, at least not according to my definition. And I was led to believe it was an RPG. But nay. Other than choosing in what order you play quests, and where you wander on the map, you have no other choices. You rarely talk, and only in cutscenes, so there are no dialogue options, and I very strongly feel that the outcome of the game will not be affected by any choice I make. It feels more like an open world action/exploration game than an RPG.

2. Don't play for the story. The story is there, and it is mildly interesting, but it seems to be the element they push the least. To be honest, I cannot tell you where in the story I am at the moment.

3. The combat is pretty cool. I enjoy it, now that I've gotten used to it. You get a sword, a dagger and a bow. I never used my bow and arrows until I realized I could be lethal with them when used correctly. Now I use all three interchangeably. And I truly feel like I'm controlling the combat in the game, rather than mashing buttons and hoping for the best.

4. The orcs. Are you mostly interested in messing with some orcs and thereby affecting the structure of Sauron's army? Ah, well then this is why you play. It is beyond obvious that the orc army is the focal point of the game. You constantly battle various orcs throughout the map, and each captain/war chief has a personal vendetta with you. Fail to kill one when you clash, and he becomes more powerful. He will also remember you and reference the last time you fought. You can manipulate the power struggle among the various orc leaders almost like a chess game, and this is an interesting element.

5. Assassin's Creed-esque elements. Sneaking, running, climbing and scrambling through the game is, I am told, exactly like Assassin's Creed. Call it copying, but I love it. I love having to sneak through an orc stronghold to accomplish an objective without being caught. You can stealth kill the orcs you do have to cross paths with, and it all works very well.

6. The Elf Lord. I do not fully understand yet where he came from or what he is doing there, but you are guided by the spirit of an Elf Lord. He is pretty darn cool and grants you some totally awesome abilities. He also talks more than you do. So most of the story elements are made known through him. Overall he gets a plus in my book.

Those are my major observations. Do not lose me at #4, though. Had anyone told me the game was mostly your manipulation of the power struggle in Sauron's army, I would not have purchased it. But there is something emotionally manipulative about battling these orc captains and chiefs and such, because they remember who you are, and they remember how you fought, and their dialogue reflects that. In the end, you want to best them, you have a mighty need to remove their heads from their shoulders, so to speak.

I think the game is fun! It is not at all, not even remotely, what I thought it would be, but it has grown on me in a very positive way. I would definitely recommend it.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Page 1 of 1