The New EUCantina Forums
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Holonet News View previous topic :: View next topic  
The New EUCantina Forums
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

By this point,(April 2011) you've probably noticed something a little different about the EUCantina forums. Don't panic.

Almost a year ago, I told our members that we were looking to change the look of the forums. It needed to be updated, a bit cleaner, and something that was more likely to attract new members. I knew how much the brown layout was loved for sentimental reasons, but my fellow staff members were pressing for an update. And so, finally, we have created this new theme. A few things to note:

First, to ease some troubled minds, know that the brown layout still exists. All you have to do is go into your profile, look under preferences, and change the board style to "ChunkStyle". The forums will return to their brown form and all will be as it once was. The default forum is what you see before you. It will look like this for anyone who is not signed in, and anyone who has not changed their style to "ChunkStyle". Hopefully this will satisfy those who never wanted the change. You can just pretend that it never happened.

Every thread location is still the same. We have all of the same buttons and features, but we will likely upgrade and improve those. The chatbox is still at the bottom of the main forum index. The only real difference so far is in appearance. The color scheme, background, layout, profile section, and header have all changed. One really cool feature can be found in the top right corner of the site. You'll see what I mean as you go to different threads and pages.

I'll be announcing a contest that is related to the new theme tomorrow. The prize will be a copy of The Force Unleashed, signed by Sean Williams. Keep an eye out for that.

Outside of the new theme, I wanted to make note of a few other changes that have happened around the forums the last few days. The Star Wars Galaxy section is now directly under the Main section. The Creative Works forum has been moved into the Community section. The ridiculous number of spam accounts that we all tried to ignore for so long have been removed. We've also fixed the registration system so that spam accounts can no longer sign up, and users can activate themselves. That means no more waiting for an admin to activate you. As soon as you've signed up and activated your own account, you can start posting. This was one of the major suggestions we got last summer.

I hope that everyone who decides to use this theme enjoys it. I know many of us loved the brown, but I love the new theme even more. If you have any suggestions for the new theme, leave them in the
Site and Forum Suggestions section. If you just want to give general feedback of what you think of the new theme, you can post it here.

I'd like to encourage everyone to tell your Star Wars loving friends about the EUCantina forums and our new look. With the member sign up being so easy, we'd love to expand and add more great new members like we have over the past week. We've had a pretty close and small group here for a long time, and that's been great. But to be honest, that makes for a forum with little activity. I think everyone will find themselves enjoying these forums more if we increase our numbers.

Special thanks to Mara for all of her help in setting this up!

(Oh, I can just picture some of your faces when you first see the blue instead of brown.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Congratulations on the new forum theme! I think it looks a lot better. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, Ben! I enjoyed putting my computer skills to the test with this one! I've never worked on a full site like this. It was a lot of fun. Smile

Hope everybody likes the new site! It looks incredible. Personally, I am still partial to the brown. But this does look quite awesome. Cool

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It looks fantasic! Great work guys.

I'm also happy that the old brown layout can still be used, sentimental guy that I am. I'll be switching back and forth depending on my mood.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Let us have a moment of silence for the traditional brown layout. *crickets chirp* All right, all right, I'll admit it. The new layout is cool. Nice job to all involved.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Be sure to check back here around 5:00 PM EST today for the contest announcement.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Took a couple of days to get used to the new look, but it's growing on me now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Great work! I'm greatly enjoying all the new features and the overall look of the forums Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like the work you have done with the forum. Good job.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote  

I gotta say I really like the job you guys did. I actually also find the new format easier to read. So big round of applause to everyone who made the new change happen and look so professional!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara you and your crew outdid yourselves! It was something to get to play a part in the changes and to help suggest images and such. The layout of the threads in the forums is something that I've been hounding SOS and OMB about for a while. And when I was modded I'd been working to get things ready. But wow it had almost felt like a dream - sure we saw it in the staff chats but I go on a day trip come back and we're live! YAY!

Very rewarding to see the final project!

Kudos Team!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

We've had the kind folks at Club Jade and Lightsaber Rattling link to the newly redesigned forums. Thanks to both of them! Don't forget to invite your friends to join us here. Put out the word of Facebook, Twitter, or other forums. We'll greatly appreciate it, and growing the community here can only improve it for everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Quote:
By this point, you've probably noticed something a little different about the EUCantina forums.

Gee, ya think? Laughing

Quote:
Don't Panic.

PANIC!!! Run around in mass hysteria! RUN!

I love the new site! A big thank you to everyone involved in making it. Yes, I'll miss the old site (I was surprised when you called it brown. I thought it was orange!), but this one looks so cool!

Okay, I thought all the little stars in the background was dust on my computer screen at first, but once I realised (it took me five minutes of frantic wiping of the screen before I realised) I instantly fell in love with it!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:

PANIC!!! Run around in mass hysteria! RUN!

I love the new site! A big thank you to everyone involved in making it. Yes, I'll miss the old site (I was surprised when you called it brown. I thought it was orange!), but this one looks so cool!

Okay, I thought all the little stars in the background was dust on my computer screen at first, but once I realised (it took me five minutes of frantic wiping of the screen before I realised) I instantly fell in love with it!

God bless you Life- It was Orange! We'd broke into Austin's PC and changed his color setting so we could have a Orange theme for years without his "official approval" And since the theme's changed already WE GOT AWAY WITH IT! Laughing

Oh and loved the bit about the dust! I've done similar in the past. Wink

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Phew. Thanks, Rogue. I was worried for a minute there! I kept on bringing things down to my sister and asking her what colour they were!

Yes, I really did do that! And the dust thing, too Very Happy
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Holonet News

Page 1 of 3