Season 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm actually glad they did that. I like her better just being a bad bounty hunter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, but that's not the issue. Some fans will be happy with some things, and some fans will be happy with others. There will never be a time when they all agree. So you can't base erasing something on, "Oh, well everyone likes it better this way." If that were the case, we could just erase the deaths of Chewie, Anakin Solo, Mara Jade, and perhaps even Etain Tur-Mukan. Most fans would like it better if they lived. The problem here is that everything that was previously established is just wiped away, as if it never existed. And you know why? Because George has finally gotten back inuniverse. TCW is something that almost everyone has heard of. You ask, "Oh, you know the Star Wars EU?" And people will give you funny looks. You ask, "Oh, you know The Clone Wars TV show?" Most will know.

It's the publicity, the money, the popularity. Someone said that George said, "As long as the fans keep enjoying TCW, we'll keep producing it." Well what about the EU? Fans certainly enjoyed that, and he doesn't really seem to care. Confused

I'm not throwing all the blame on George here, because I am only a lowly fan. I really don't know where the hacks and slashes come from. I don't want to wrongly blame a higher-up for something they didn't do.

But...in a universe where everything has always been about continuity, it's just sad to suddenly see it be thrown out the window. I could understand if continuity had never been an issue, like in Star Trek. But we're coming up on two decades worth of careful organization to make sure continuity was consistent.

So anyway...another rant there. Sorry. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

(Keep in mind- it's been a tough week so my mood wasn't great on hearing some of this stuff.)

It's like saying "all EU is infinities" I mean if you're reading the comics to continue the story- just to learn later that that part of the story never happened- it's like saying (don't read that it was a mistake)

Why buy it to learn it it doesn't exist? I mean I try to get it all, but infinites are ALWAYS last on my list. Now I discover those series I hunted to collect I could have not bothered with cause knowing the info will just mess things up for my brain when trying to piece together the MESS that has become of the continuity.

I mean we killed Anakin Solo off, why couldn't Ventress get a new background? Laughing

Oh wait- isn't she too?

I know it makes me sound like a whiner but I'm seriously ready for GL to no longer have LAST say......

(I've said it before and I'll say it again)

My favorite Star Trek stuff all came after the maker passed away........

I liked the SW Movies, but it was the books that HOOKED me on SW. And learning that once more we're changing things to accommodate story- and deleting things to do it- it's almost insulting.

But think of this- to every generation there is a kids show that the last gen is like "Seriously?!" Now it seems to me that they have told us- as long as ENOUGH SOMEONES want TCWs they will continue- so does this mean they will just keep continuing to remove things as they decide it's time to RE TELL something again?

I get it's a big thing of GLs to take from other sagas and myths, but repeating things that STAR WARS has done already?! - not VERY CREATIVE if you ask me.

I think I'm more at a point I'd rather the EU be left out of the show all together.

As I've said on the SW boards- we DO HAVE 2 continuities- there is the one that the EU puts out, then the one that gets created on the fly for ratings.

Delta- ok so they won't be in there long- YET- you can bet the fans will want more and they will give it- at the expense of more character backgrounds.

If you read between the lines it's obvious too that we can bank that the BIG 3- will never die in a book- they pretty much said what we've always thought- it happened when and how GL wants- and you know the characters that will die in that story would not be the characters from the EU that we've seen grow up.

And another thing with continuity- doesn't it feel like the excuse of - it's what we do- seems to be their scapegoat- we'll hose it again and again cause it's what we do- we give you something cool- take something cool and if we time it right when we announce it most of you are happy- but even if your not it doesn't matter cause we're not gearing our sales to you - we've already hooked you it's the newbies we want- the ones who won't complain- I swear it's like corporate politics at my last job on a whole new scale! Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote  

Messing with everyone's backstories is becoming second nature to TCW. I think it's kind of sad that a cartoon is getting higher billing than the existing EU. I can understand that the whole idea of Star Wars canon can be taken to extremes, but some of this stuff just doesn't seem necessary. What does it matter if Aurra's background had her as a padawan? It's not like the TCW even touched on her background. Why turn Mandalore into a pacifist wasteland? Why not just make it a new planet?

Just seems a little pointless. And it sounds like Ventress is the next one to be mangled.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm finally going to admit TCW and the EU cannot co-exist. It's unfortunate because I've always been hopeful that it could work and honestly I thought it could. I'm not a big Aurra Sing fan, but this is the first official "EU does not matter" in my opinion. Crying or Very sad

On the light side though, Season 3 does sound pretty neat. Focusing more on the Chosen One and connecting it to the Original Trilogy. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

"In another episode my daughter wrote," continues Lucas, "on the planet where Asajj Ventress comes from, there's women on one side and men on the other. The women control the planet...and the Emperor used one of the men for Darth Maul. Ventress finds disfavor with Dooku and plots to get him another apprentice that she controls."

Any one catch this? The show that's CHANGING everything plots are being worked out by GLs children (now adults but still!)

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does this change anything?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This isn't just his daughter getting a rare chance to write because it's her daddy and she wanted to. This is her job. She is a writer. Not a big deal to me. I think she even wrote some episodes in Season 1. *Researches* Yeah, she wrote the episode Jedi Crash.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

More and more I just want to say TCW is a holo-drama within the GFFA, and is based on the Clones Wars story (this is not an original idea of mine, I think it came from a blogger on Starwars.com).

I just do not see the value in all these changes whether they are big (mandos) or small (Aurra Sing). Personally I say close the book on the era's that conflict. I would be happier reading material way in the past or way in the future than investing time and energy into this material, caring about it, and then having it changed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That does appear to be the plan, Bly. Sue Rostoni has said that there are no more adult-TCW books in the current contract, so it doesn't appear they can create more contradictions in the timeline themselves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, Darth Maul was a Zabrak... But that doesn't mean he didn't come from the planet...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

comanderbly wrote:
More and more I just want to say TCW is a holo-drama within the GFFA, and is based on the Clones Wars story (this is not an original idea of mine, I think it came from a blogger on Starwars.com).

Not a bad idea. Honestly, the main reason I even watch is for the Anakin and Obi-Wan friendship. I like to see them before everything went wrong.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The problem for me is that I like both TCW and the EU so I can't just say, "Oh hang The Clone Wars, I'm sticking with the Expanded Universe", because I would like nothing better than for them to just play nice.

I found this interesting/encouraging statement on starwars.com
"Lucas' daughter Katie extensively researched the Expanded Universe when writing the set of scripts for the Ventress story arc. "

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quin Vos in The Clone Wars. Interesting.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:

I found this interesting/encouraging statement on starwars.com
"Lucas' daughter Katie extensively researched the Expanded Universe when writing the set of scripts for the Ventress story arc. "

I'd love to take reassurance from that. But a part of me wonders if Katie didn't see too many similarities between ol Ventress and Sing and pointed them out to her Dad Laughing

Now if like I've mentioned on EUCast they don't even factor Sing's Force Use at all, and it turns out that all we are getting is just "not seen" that she was always a Force User, but just not while on the Clone Wars I'd find that a little irritating. I mean if that is the case why say anything at all?

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Clone Wars Animated TV Series

Page 2 of 7