X-Wing: Mercy Kill by Aaron Allston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote  

Personally, I really liked Mercy Kill and I loved how Voort was given the main role. I also liked how there was a mix of humor and fun action with some deep drama.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Picked this up yesterday. Came out a little early (YES!!)

So far I'm on about page 90. Excellent so far. Definitely vintage Allston with the humor intersperced with realistic and awesome military action.

From the first chapter, there's not really much in the way of respite at any point. Which is good. You get right into the action.

There's one character I'm waiting to have appear who hasn't shown up yet, but I'm hoping it will be soon.

The characterization of both the old wraits and the new ones is excellent. Consistent, and believable. Also a great way to introduce some new characters to the EU who have had little to no page time before.

I'm also glad to see how he's handling Scut (the vong character).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's a Vong character?! How did I not know this? Shocked

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote  

@Mara: You didn't know? Well now you have something to look forward to. Wink

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am suddenly super excited for this. Forget all my reservations, I think I'm stopping by Books-A-Million tonight. Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Now past 200 pages (out of 369).

I am disappointed by only one thing.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Otherwise everything has been excellent and keeps getting better. Probably my favourite Star Wars release in the last couple years.[/spoiler]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll be picking up the book this weekend.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's here! I came home to a nice surprise and found it sitting on my pillow. My sister picked it up from the library for me, earlier than expected. Starting this one tomorrow! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well, I finished the book last night.

Overall, I'd rate it a solid 9.5/10. Very good. Review follows in spoiler protection.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote  

Karen Miller's Roll of the Dice short story in Insider serves as a prelude to Mercy Kill with Myri and Wedge action. Did anyone else read that?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm a slow reader, and I don't have much time right now. But I'm totally loving what I've read so far! It brings me back in time, to the good old days. First Star Wars book I've been excited to read in awhile. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I have acquired the book and will start it as soon as I finish The Hobbit. I'm rather excited.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Knights Archive reviewer Megan Crouse wrote an interesting article about Piggy and gender roles in Mercy Kill: http://blogfullofwords.blogspot.com/2012/08/star-wars-x-wing-mercy-kill.html

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Karen Miller's Roll of the Dice short story in Insider serves as a prelude to Mercy Kill with Myri and Wedge action. Did anyone else read that?

I tend not to pick up magazines anymore. I do hope that the short stories get republished at some point (paperback reprint hopefully??) for those of us who don't.

Hopefully with the apparent success of the LTOTS collection, LFL will consider collecting other short stories and throwing in a brand new novella for a wide relase.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I have not read any of the X-Wing books yet. Would I be able to read Mercy Kill and not get lost?

“Only a master of evil, Darth.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 10 of 12