EUC Weekly Opinion Columns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Agreed that it isn't the coolest name they could have given that battle. Laughing

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The battle of Coruscant right before ROTS might be an interesting one, since we have several versions of that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New column: The merits of Fate of the Jedi.
http://www.eucantina.net/archives/10638

Thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with Chris?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

This, far and away, is the best take I've seen on Fate of the Jedi. Marvelous.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

"When you pick up a Star Wars book published under Bantam, there is a sense of swashbuckling adventure that has been missed in the last decade."

Truer words!

Excellent article, Chris! Very well delivered, and very unbiased. You make a lot of good points, and I find myself agreeing with you. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New Star Wars Dissection column from Andrew on the depictions of the Battle of Naboo: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/10883

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That's pretty nifty, Andrew! However, one game was left out: Star Wars: Obi Wan.

This article set me to wondering: you said there'd be others based on battles - would that list include Order 66?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good call on Order 66. I was hoping to do a couple from ROTS, and Order 66 is a good call.

And good call about Obi-Wan. I assumed that that title actually depicted Obi-Wan's life immediately post-Naboo, so I didn't include it. Serves me right for not reading the article lol.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Great idea and great article, Taral-DLOS!
Nice to see all these depictions of one event lined up. I take it the list for the Battle of Geonosis is longer than this one.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Good call on Order 66. I was hoping to do a couple from ROTS, and Order 66 is a good call.

And good call about Obi-Wan. I assumed that that title actually depicted Obi-Wan's life immediately post-Naboo, so I didn't include it. Serves me right for not reading the article lol.

It does - but to only a limited extent. It deals also with events in the movie, sometimes being accurate, and at other times being slightly off-kilter (but not so out of continuity that it beggars belief) like Obi-Wan going off to save a handmaiden (the one masquerading as the Queen) from the Tuskan Raiders on Tatooine.

From memory, the Battle of Naboo scenes were a bit on the liberal side, with a nighttime incursion into the palace by Obi Wan to save some pilots. An assault on a turbolaser cannon before the actual battle, and a defence of the hanger from an attempt to retake it by the Trade Federation.

The Darth Maul level was pretty brief. It only showed the very last bit of the duel, beginning with Qui Gon's death. The only differences were the reactor core room, where the layout was altered slightly for gameplay reasons. But you could jump, at least part way, into the reactor core shaft, and the cutscene involved Maul being Force pushed into the shaft after being wounded.

In fact, I've even managed to find gameplay videos of Obi Wan (one of the very few times I've actually found something I'm looking for on the internet!). If you search on videogamerguy666's channel, with the phrase 'Star Wars Obi Wan', you'll find videos of each level.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

A new column from Andrew is now online. It deals with retcons in Star Wars, and is really a fantastic read. I learned a lot myself as I read it, and there are some lines that I think should be quotes of the week on Wookieepedia:

"Apparently, Republic prisons are about as effective at containing criminals as Arkham Asylum."

"...it seems out of character for the most skilled bounty hunter in the Galaxy to fall into a sedentary animalís mouth twice in the same week."

Brilliant! For context, read the entire article: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/11067

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Another great dissection! I'm always looking forward to these.
Great fun to see all these retcons on a topic together, although I think that the Death Star has even more retcons (consurning those involved in it's development).
As does Andrew I also enjoy a lot of these retcons and appreciate the efforts made to keep the SW universe a whole.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks for your kind words, all!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

We've got five great reasons from Nanci on why Del Rey should bring Mike Stackpole back to Star Wars: http://bit.ly/n7Rinp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote  

Loved the new column. Great work, Nanci!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 7 of 11