Caedus_16's attempt to share new music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caedus_16's attempt to share new music
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ladies and gentlemen, the main event!!! And now to share new music with the lot of you! Unappreciated, epic, minimalist, grunge, pop, its all here. From A-Z I'm sharing my musical taste in hopes of making new fans of the music I love. Brilliant lyrics, inspired riffs, and music to relax by all comes here! Today we start with suggestions for Padme as I told her I'd try Very Happy

1. The Academy Is...: A poppier band from Fuled by Ramen, these guys are fast, fun, and generally just inspire a good feeling. I would suggest the songs 'Slow Down', 'Paper Chase', 'Attention', 'We've Got a Big Mess On Our Hands', and my favorite 'The Phrase that Pays' as songs to get you into them Smile

2. The Vines: This is music to be weird to, though they sometimes miss completely. Seeing the musical taste I've seen from you I would recommend the songs 'Homesick', 'Winning Days', 'Sun Child', and 'He's a Rocker'.

3. Weezer: Ok, so most people listen to Weezer, but most listen to their new stuff which is flat, predictable, and uninspired. The first 2 albums was where it was at. I recommend 'Say it Ain't So', 'Only in Dreams', 'Undone - The Sweater Song', 'The Good Life', 'Falling For You', and just for funzies 'Island in the Sun'.

4. Modest Mouse: Weird band and I'm hesitant to suggest them. I'll only put out the songs 'The World at Large' and 'Float On'. If you don't like them from those songs you just aren't going to.

5. Oasis: One of the best for no other reason than they said so, these Brits have a song for everyone. They are beyond overrated (just a heads up there) but they are so much fun and I could recommend so much by them. I'll use 'Live Forever', 'Don't Look Back in Anger', 'Rock and Roll Star', 'Champagne Supernova', 'The Shock of the Lightning', and just because the song cracks me up a bit 'Married with Children'. This is one of my all-time favorites so I always try to suggest them to people.

6. Coldplay: Pretty straightforward band, not gonna spend a lot of time selling them as their music will do that for them. I recommend 'Trouble', 'Don't Panic', 'Fix You', 'Warning Sign', 'The Scientist', 'Lovers in Japan', and 'Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground'.

7. The Shins: Such a strange band but kind of fun at the same time. Definitely check out the songs 'New Slang', 'Caring is Creepy', 'Sleeping Lessons', 'Pink Bullets', and 'Phantom Limb' for a good feel of this band.

8. Death Cab For Cutie: Love the heck out of this band. One of my favorites. I suggest songs like 'I Will Possess Your Heart', 'Cath...', 'Follow You Into the Dark', 'Title and Registration', and the song that inspires even tears: 'Transatlanticism'. I also recommend 'The Sound of Settling'.

9. Muse: Phenomenal band from the UK. Songs I'd recommend are 'Time is Running Out', 'Apocalypse Please', 'Butterflies and Hurricanes', 'Supermassive Black Hole' (and not because its on the Twilight Soundtrack but because its just one of the darn sexiest songs ever written), 'Uprising', 'Exogenesis Symphony', and my favorite' Plug in Baby'.

10. The Veils: This band hasn't really broken through so some of their albums are hard to find but iTunes and ebay are friends to all! My favorites by them are 'The Tide That Left and Never Came Back', 'Valleys of New Orleans', 'The Letter', 'Sun Gangs', 'Sit Down By the Fire', and the song inspired by The Horse and His Boy titled 'Nowhere Man'. My favorite of their songs is 'Vicious Traditions' but its kinda dark and kinda completely out of character for them so I don't recommend starting with it.

I'll stop at 10 but if you enjoy any of this let me know and I can suggest stuff in the same vein Smile Enjoy Padme, and indeed all who decide to check these bands out if anyone does. Caedus out!

Re: Caedus_16's attempt to share new music
 PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Caedus_16 wrote:

6. Coldplay: Pretty straightforward band, not gonna spend a lot of time selling them as their music will do that for them. I recommend 'Trouble', 'Don't Panic', 'Fix You', 'Warning Sign', 'The Scientist', 'Lovers in Japan', and 'Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground'.

I just thought you should know one of my sons, the 6 years old sings at least some of "Fix You". I must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I tried, Caedus, I did. The only one I mildly liked was Death Cab for Cutie. Otherwise......meh. I think it mostly has to do with the voices of the main singers. Just not my cup of tea. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I tried, Caedus, I did. The only one I mildly liked was Death Cab for Cutie. Otherwise......meh. I think it mostly has to do with the voices of the main singers. Just not my cup of tea. Confused

Haha this was only round 1 madam, and I figured this was kinda out there but I'd try. Death Cab is likable but I actually figured you'd dig The Academy Is... just because of the poppier sound in comparison to some of what you said you like. Oh well, the search continues Smile Do you listen to any Goo Goo Dolls?

Quote:
I just thought you should know one of my sons, the 6 years old sings at least some of "Fix You". I must be doing something right.

I love that son! Its cool that your kid knows it Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The thing about music is it's such a personal thing. I've always found it hard to get into a band someone else recommends, almost like recommending someone to be my girlfriend.

By the way I like Coldplay. Viva la Vida is a stellar song. Cool Smile And I'll have to listen to the Horse and His Boy song, I'm interested...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote  

I couldn't find anything I liked Crying or Very sad (other than Super Massive Black Hole, already have that one Wink )

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I couldn't find anything I liked Crying or Very sad (other than Super Massive Black Hole, already have that one Wink )

I'm working on another round that might be more your cup of tea bro Wink don't worry, those of us who enjoy things like Nirvana and Alice in Chains are gonna get some stuff to Very Happy actually I should have it up by tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alright ladies and gentlemen, round 2. This is less the pop and quick music that I listen to and more of my 90's kick.

1. The Pixies: These guys are where weird music took off from. It had always been around, they just made it popular. If you've ever seen Fight Club then the song that plays over the end scene and credits is by this band. I recommend 'Where Is My Mind', 'Debaser', 'Monkey Gone To Heaven', and 'Wave of Mutilation'. Actually just about the whole Doolittle album honestly.

2. The Smashing Pumpkins: Almost everyone knows who they are, and if you didn't just look at any music you consider to be indie and know that they have roots in this band. Highlights from them are 'Cherub Rock', 'Tonight Tonight', '1979', 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings', 'Soothe', 'Zero', To Sheila', and 'Standing Inside Your Love'. Enjoy!

3. Silversun Pickups: This is actually kind of a newer band, but I think its fitting to drop their name with Smashing Pumpkins considering they have many similarities. I actually once called them baby pumpkins, but that isn't wholly true. Good songs would be 'Well Thought Out Twinkles', 'Sci-Fi Lullaby', 'Little Lovers So Polite', 'Lazy Eye', 'Panic Switch', 'No Secrets This Year', 'Sort Of', 'Substitution', and 'Catch and Release'. Again, a good band, but his voice is kinda strange. Not bad, just different.

4. Wolfmother: If you enjoy older rock like Black Sabbath or White Snake, this band is for you. Try 'The Joker and the Thief', 'Woman', 'Dimensions', 'Cosmic Egg', 'White Feather', 'Eyes Open', 'Phoenix', 'Apple Tree', and 'Vagabond'. They only have 2 albums out but they are a lot of fun.

5. Disturbed: I'm treading dangerous waters suggesting this fairly heavy band, but some might enjoy them and I personally do from time to time so I must share. Disturbed is all about making music with a sound that inspires the feeling of power. They just released their 5th album titled Asylum and its a mix of classic rock in places and hard rock in others. They cover I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For at the end of the album as a hidden track and its good, one of my recommendations actually. Disturbed released a statement linking an idea through their albums showing that they all inspire one message of being unique and individual. The statement was along the lines of "Escape the ASYLUM to learn you can be INDESTRUCTIBLE and raise one of TEN THOUSAND FISTS if you are one to BELIEVE and spread THE SICKNESS." kind of dark, but you get the point. Songs I recommend are the U2 cover, 'Remnants/Asylum', 'I'm Alive', 'Ten Thousand Fists', 'The Night', 'Enough', 'Remember', and my favorite titles 'Prayer'. Most of you WILL NOT like this band but I'm hoping I'll reach one person with them lol

6. The Vines: What's that you say? I recommended them last list!? Oh woe is me, I must have made a mistake! Wait, I DIDN'T! Just as I recommended poppier songs by them last list, I will now recommend grungier rock songs by them to fit this one as they are capable of making BOTH sound great Very Happy Best by them would be 'Highly Evolved', 'Outtathaway', 'Anysound', 'Get Free', '1969', 'Ride', 'TV Pro', 'Mary Jane', 'Don't Listen to the Radio', 'Get Out', and 'Merrygoround'. Also, if you are looking these up on youtube then I should let you know that they have a new album in the works and footage of one of the new songs live is online. Its good quality. Song is called 'Black Dragon', I love d it and I hope you do to Smile

7. Alice in Chains: Skuldren knows this band, but I don't know if most of the rest of you do. Maybe Illogical... but anyways. There was a big deal when their lead singer died a few years ago and he is greatly missed, but they've continued to soldier on and its been decent so far. Songs to hear are 'Man in the Box', 'Sunshine', 'Them Bones', 'Rooster', 'Angry Chair', 'Nutshell', 'Check My Brain', 'When the Sun Rose Again', and 'All Secrets Known'.

8. Apocalyptica: This band sounds kind of strange, and they are. They are a rock band who use pedals and amplifiers to play everything on CELLOS! They began as a Metallica cover band and evolved into their own group. I recommend the cover of 'Fade to Black' and their original songs 'I Don't Care', 'Not Strong Enough', 'Broken Pieces', and Rage of Poseidon to try to get into them. Most of that list is new so you can see what they sound like these days.

9. Bush: Another 90's band, they had a few albums but one was just grand. Songs I recommend are 'Everything Zen', 'Comedown', 'Machinehead', and my favorite song 'Glycerine'. Check em out!

10. Jack White: Instead of eventually recommending his bands one at a time, I've decided to just recommend HIM and then suggest certain songs from each band. From The Raconteurs I suggest 'Steady as She Goes' as an intro to the band, that's pretty much the epitome of their sound. For a feel of The White Stripes I'd try 'Seven Nation Army', 'Icky Thump', 'Fell In Love With A Girl', 'We Are Gonne Be Friends', 'In the Cold Cold Night', 'The Hardest Button to Button', 'It's True That We Love One Another', 'Doorbell', 'Little Ghost', and 'You Don't Know What Love Is'. From my favorite of his bands, The Dead Weather, I think you should try 'Hang You Up From The Heavens', 'I Cut Like a Buffalo', 'New Pony', 'Will There Be Enough Water', 'Die By the Drop', 'I'm Mad', 'Hustle and Cuss', and 'Gasoline.

And this would be the list for today. Its a mix of garage rock, 90's rock, and 90's inspired rock haha. I hope you enjoy at least some of it. And be cautious with Disturbed. If you don't like them simply don't try, you won't. Most of you could enjoy REmnants and Remember but I'm not too sure about the rest, I tried to be excessively selective with them to give you the best picture of them. But yes, enjoy the music, give it a shot, and tomorrow or the day after I'll have another set. I'm thinking straight indie music for that one. Hm... Smile But yes, enjoy all!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

*Edit

Having a problem using the URL function.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Master Optician wrote:
*Edit

Having a problem using the URL function.

URL function?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Yeah, I was going to post a link and was unable to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote  

Let's see...

www.eucantina.net

Works for me, url /url but with brackets.

Back on subject. I never knew the name of the Smashing Pumkins song Bullet with Butterfly Wings until now. Cool. The Beginning is the End is the Beginning is also a great song, but a tongue twister.

I liked Wolfmother's first album, I still need to check out their second one. Their lead singer also sung a song on Slash's new album that was pretty good.

Disturbed is alright. I've never bothered to buy any of their stuff but I don't mind listening to them on the radio.

Quote:
6. The Vines: What's that you say? I recommended them last list!? Oh woe is me, I must have made a mistake! Wait, I DIDN'T! Just as I recommended poppier songs by them last list, I will now recommend grungier rock songs by them to fit this one as they are capable of making BOTH sound great Very Happy
I loled at this cause earlier when you recommended them I was checking out their other songs and was like "Aha! This is better!" when I was listening to their less poppy songs. Laughing

For Alice in Chains I'd highly recommend Don't Follow for anyone who likes lighter music. Great song that really kicks into a soft jam at the end. Great stuff and very different from Alice and Chains harder songs. It's a song everyone can like. Well...I like it. I like Right Turn too because it features Chris Cornell (Soundgarden/Audioslave) and Mark Arm.

I used to like Bush but I got burnt out on them. I might be ready to start listening to them again...

And Jack White has lots of good stuff Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuldren

Haha this list was almost just for us, I don't know if anyone else will be into much of it besides possibly Jack White and MAYYYYBE the Vines haha. But yes, I'm glad you jumped in and I'm especially glad you like the Vines! When I first heard 'Get Free' I thought Cobain had been reborn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i listen to coldplay and a little of Death Cab for Cutie, and i've HEARD the Veins and Weezer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthSanith wrote:
i listen to coldplay and a little of Death Cab for Cutie, and i've HEARD the Veins and Weezer

Lol did you hear of the Vines from your sis? Cause she got em from me!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2