Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

244 pages?! Shocked

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen I own it and I just started it but I'll say this...

Its only 244 pages and I am extremely annoyed about that.

Will report more when i finish it.

When Amazon says Hardcover: 272 pages

They need to be more specific.

Does this mean there is 30 pages of Knight Errant?

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw Red Harvest at a bookstore yesterday and noticed how short it was. After the online excerpts is there anything left? A chapter or two?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I picked it up and held it in my hands today, and I must say it's the slimmest hardback book I've ever held. It seemed even a good bit slimmer than Omen. After the 40 or so pages of excerpts they gave us, that's now looking like quite a decent chunk of the book! Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Why is it still listed as 272 pages when it's only 256! BUNK AMAZON!!!!! Bunk....

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Why is it still listed as 272 pages when it's only 256! BUNK AMAZON!!!!! Bunk....

Its actually because there IS a Knight Errant excerpt.

Now for things about it that DON'T need spoiler tags, for I finished moments ago...

First off, its too short. This is not me griping about paying that much for it, its just a statement that in that short amount of paper the characters did not have time to flesh out or become super interesting. That and there are too many with too little time to get to know them. Now for the spoiler tags.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

In short, I'm ok with having purchased this but it wasn't as good as Death Troopers. There's my thoughts, more to follow.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wasn't as good as Death Troopers?! *sobs* I really had high hopes for this one! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Wasn't as good as Death Troopers?! *sobs* I really had high hopes for this one! Crying or Very sad

Sorry Mara Sad Its got such good concepts (Sith Zombies!?) but it falls short. The characters don't go as deep and you aren't given time to get to know them. This book deserved to be another hundred and fifty pages, that way Joe S. would've had more room to work with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That's what I can't understand. Why so short?! It's not like it was released early, by any means. Confused

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think they honestly thought they could capitalize on the popularity of the first one by pumping this out. I liked it, I won't lie, but if I hadn't read Death Troopers first this one would've been pointless. I think that they honestly just needed to try to capitalize and so they popped out a book that wasn't as good as it could've been.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

*sigh* What is up with Star Wars, anyway? There's so little to be happy about these days. Honestly, it's more about the disappointment than anything else. Much as I hate to say that. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Not as good as Death Troopers? Death Troopers wasn't so hot to start with. Honestly, I think the horror idea was an interesting one, but they must have picked the wrong author. I'd prefer a true scary story instead of just a gory one. Stover can do the gory stuff, for goodness sakes, and still do an amazing book.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Mara: I'm waiting till the end of FotJ. If it sucks, I'll be with you on the disappointment thought.

@OMB: See, I liked Death Troopers because it felt like Alien crossed with the old cheesy zombie movies. It was creepy and bloody and eerie but fun as well because of the characters. This one, however, felt like Alien Resurrection. It had a great idea and they just executed it wrong. I don't think they got the wrong author, but when they publish they place word count and page number restraints and so it was Del Rey that restricted him so and therefore THEY botched this. Its still a good book.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote  

Man that's disappointing to hear. I actually like Schreiber's non-Star Wars books. Death Troopers was so-so, not really worth HB price. If this one is on par or below that, I think I'll wait for the PB.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Man that's disappointing to hear. I actually like Schreiber's non-Star Wars books. Death Troopers was so-so, not really worth HB price. If this one is on par or below that, I think I'll wait for the PB.

Do it man. Heck, half the book is already out online in *previews*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 6