Heir to the Empire Anniversary Reprint
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heir to the Empire Anniversary Reprint
 PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Next June, a hardcover anniversary edition of Heir to the Empire will be released. According to Star Wars.com, it will "include insightful annotations on the text, as well an exclusive short story by Timothy Zahn featuring his most famous Star Wars creation, Grand Admiral Thrawn."

http://www.eucantina.net/archives/8947

Do you plan to buy this version? And what would you like to see in it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

No, I prefer the smaller paperbacks. Along with the fact that that's all I can afford. I'm not going to buy a hardcover, especially after already owning the paperback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can get the short story online eventually. If they were to be releasing the whole trilogy in hardcover I'd be interested but I'll need to hear an announcement on that before paying for this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah I want the short story- but I'm not willing to rebuy this story again- I have it in paperback and in Hardcover comic I really don't need it once more- the short story is all I care for here.

How sad is it that most of these are this way where all I want is the BONUS story- I already have the main one- it's like the whole Force Unleashed DLC thing all over Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll take a look at it at the bookstore, but I'm not paying for it, especially since I already have Heir to the Empire in hardback.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah I would only be interested in the short story, and I can wait for that to come out somewhere else. I loved the books, even got the wife to read them, but I do not need more than one copy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote  

Actually, I might consider it if they give it a new cover. A really awesome cover, plus some insightful comments and a new short story could be enough for me to splurge on one of my all time favorite Star Wars books.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Coincidentally, I just purchased this trilogy about a month ago and started reading it for the first time. I am just starting on the third, so HttE is still very much fresh on my mind. I did catch something that was rather interesting, which may be well known, I don't know. But a part of the book that was overwritten by the PT, it seems.

Funny, though, because I can't remember what page it's on. Anyway, what was said was that as punishment for the destruction of the Death Star, Palpatine cut one of Vader's hands off. I think Mara told Luke that, which in turn caused him to be reflective about his own hand. To me, the book implies that Vader would have still had a flesh hand, because what impact would cutting off a mechanical hand truly have made?

Just something that seems to have been overlooked, because we now know that Anakin had both arms cut off before the suit. Unless there's a retcon out there. Or we're to assume that Zahn was intending for Vader's removed hand to be mechanical. Doesn't make much sense to me if that's the case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly man I think its just George yet again not caring about EU and just doing his own thing. We're just supposed to just accept it. Sorry man Sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus is probably right, but for argument's sake, let's say it was a mechanical hand and Palpatine did it for show.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well, in all fairness, I wouldn't have a problem with George changing that. I mean...we're not talking TCW. We're talking the actual movies, the prequels themselves, vs. an overlooked comment in one book in the EU. Confused

You're right, though, MO, I didn't remember that was in HttE until you said it. Now I know where I read it. And I've been wondering all these years. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I wonder if that will be changed with the reprint, because to me it's an obvious thing. It probably wont be, though. Thinking about this more, Luke did cry out when his mechanical hand was shot in ROTJ. So yes, for arguments sake, perhaps there is still some kind of pain associated with mechanical limb injury or loss.

Personally, I think Zahn intended for Vader's hand to be flesh and bone, but if that wasn't his intention, I suppose Luke's response could set a precedent. Or perhaps the act of cutting off a mechanical hand could be purely for shame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote  

It'll be the perfect thing for Zahn to point out in his annotations, what he originally intended it to be, and how it now stands.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's a neat article on Roqoo Depot about the various covers of the Thrawn trilogy.
http://roqoodepot.com/2011/09/07/star-wars-cover-art-the-thrawn-trilogy/#more-5881
I especially like the Hungarian ones. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I haven't bought the new hardcover HTTE yet. I will though.

who does have their copy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 3