Star Wars vs. Star Trek
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  

As a Star Wars fan...
...you're equally interested in Star Trek.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
...you're only casually interested in Star Trek.
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
...you have zero interest in Star Trek.
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
...you despise Star Trek...including Trekkies.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but Lucas has pointedly stated that he's made sure that there will be no future SW movies after his death. Honestly, I can't imagine his children going against his wishes and taking anything SW far from GL's vision.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like them both, even though I like SW more. I like the science fiction aspect of Star Wars more than fantasy, and I like other science fiction, including Star Trek.

I have no idea why SW fans get so critical about Trek, I guess they don't realize that without it, Star Wars wouldn't exist either... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not sure the existence of Star Wars is at all dependent on the Star Trek tv series, but I'm sure the Star Trek movie franchise owes its existence to the success of Star Wars.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture wasn't released until 1979 -- two years after the success of Star Wars. And ST: TMP had originally been scrapped in 1975 -- two years before the release of Star Wars.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:

See, that doesn't even compute for me. Especially since one is sci fi and the other is space opera.

Laughing That's splitting hairs IMO.

To me it's going to be in the Sci-fi section of the movie rental store and book section so I can't call SW a space opera as it's only title- sure GL calls it this, that's the theme- but I see that as the medium for his stories performance. I mean if you look hard enough Trek's a big space opera as well. But the main character is humanity.

But I guess that's [precisely what Mara needs varied opinions.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
My point for liking DS9- is it was made AFTER Gene's death.... when his control on the story had ended.

Just sayin

Are you implying a positive future for Star Wars when certain events come to pass? Wink

Oh no quite the opposite- they are doomed. Things with the Borg get so bad that we got the reboot, and the current story in the original future of Trek (pre new movie) shows things plummeting to a more SW state of affairs for the Alpha Quadrant. They are broke- and since they never used money before- guess what's biting them in the butt now?! Yeah, a post war quadrant with little to support the refugees. It's gotten so bad they decided hey instead of continuing this lets do a reboot story.

So it shows that the Force never gets in balance Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
Hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but Lucas has pointedly stated that he's made sure that there will be no future SW movies after his death. Honestly, I can't imagine his children going against his wishes and taking anything SW far from GL's vision.

IDK, I bet Shakespeare had a similar request. In time even SW will get remade and given time it too shall be reimagined as BattleStar Gallactica was- and that show was MUCH better it's second time around.

We've seen that GL's current stance on anything doesn't amount to much because he's so whimsical, what does or doesn't interest him today he can change his mind about tomorrow.

I could see him doing as he did with the EU before he changed his mind about being done with the SWU and not caring what happens.

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
I'm not sure the existence of Star Wars is at all dependent on the Star Trek tv series, but I'm sure the Star Trek movie franchise owes its existence to the success of Star Wars.

I was reading somewhere that George Lucas said that he was a fan of Star Trek, and that was one of the main inspirations of Star Wars.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My current rough draft for the project logo. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
I was reading somewhere that George Lucas said that he was a fan of Star Trek, and that was one of the main inspirations of Star Wars.

Actually what he said was that he considered himself a trekkie and that he credits Star Trek as the inspiration for him working with sci fi.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:

Actually what he said was that he considered himself a trekkie and that he credits Star Trek as the inspiration for him working with sci fi.

And it came full circle when JJ Abrams did the new Trek cause he used Wars as his inspiration.

-
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's interesting because Roddenberry used Star Trek to make statements on the social issues of the 60s. Lucas used Star Wars to get people thinking about certain timeless and universal ideas. Essentially they doing the same thing; using a powerful social media to make statements and with the same result. They ended up creating two of the most loved sci fi franchises of the our time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
a post war quadrant with little to support the refugees.

Worfs a POW and has been forced to fight for days on end starting with the weakest of the Jem'Hadar troopers and working his way up till they break him and make him "Yeild" he never does. That darn Klingon Warrior spirit (Part of why I enjoy Mando's who are like Klingons)

Okay, I may be just imagining things here, but those two instances sound a lot like Yuuzhan vong references. The first because the refugee issue plays heavily, at least in the first part, of NJO. The second because, in Vector Prime, it has the Vong sending out their coralskippers against Lando's moon's defences, testing their skill, almost weeding out the weaker ones. Intentional, or coincidence?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cerrinea wrote:
It's interesting because Roddenberry used Star Trek to make statements on the social issues of the 60s. Lucas used Star Wars to get people thinking about certain timeless and universal ideas. Essentially they doing the same thing; using a powerful social media to make statements and with the same result. They ended up creating two of the most loved sci fi franchises of the our time.

I feel that's only partly true. Roddenberry certainly made statements of social issues, anti-racism and anti-war (which kind of makes me feel weird since DS9 and Voyager, not to mention some of the latter films use war as a premise*) being two that spring automatically to mind. Lucas, when doing the films, they felt more like social commentaries than out and out statements. He used things that were happening in the real world, past and present (and some would say future) and incorporated them into the story. The only time I remember him making out and out statements were off screen, something to do with 9/11 - but don't quote me on that, I can't really remember. The PATRIOT act?

Forgotten what I was going to say, now, so I'll give uo!

*Although, one friend of Roddenberry's, in an interview after he died, said that he didn't do big fight scenes only because they couldn't afford it in the budget.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
*Although, one friend of Roddenberry's, in an interview after he died, said that he didn't do big fight scenes only because they couldn't afford it in the budget.

The budget for ST was pretty tight. They had to do a lot of improvising. The little medical scanner thingy that Bones used? Salt and pepper shakers.

Quote:
Lucas, when doing the films, they felt more like social commentaries than out and out statements.

There's some truth to that but Lucas also didn't hit people over the head with it like Roddenberry did. I mean it was pretty obvious what old Gene was saying. Lucas was just subtler about it.

Lucas did however want to expose a new generation to recurring themes in human history, and he used a sci fi format to make it enticing. One statement right out of ROTS was how easily democracies can fall when society becomes corrupted, complacent and elitist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
a post war quadrant with little to support the refugees.

Worfs a POW and has been forced to fight for days on end starting with the weakest of the Jem'Hadar troopers and working his way up till they break him and make him "Yeild" he never does. That darn Klingon Warrior spirit (Part of why I enjoy Mando's who are like Klingons)

Okay, I may be just imagining things here, but those two instances sound a lot like Yuuzhan vong references. The first because the refugee issue plays heavily, at least in the first part, of NJO. The second because, in Vector Prime, it has the Vong sending out their coralskippers against Lando's moon's defences, testing their skill, almost weeding out the weaker ones. Intentional, or coincidence?

the post war comment- this is after 2 wars- the Dominion War, and the War against the Borg- which they LOSE, sort of. The Borg threat they lose to- the Borg themselves evolve into beings who no longer care about assimilating - they see themselves as reachiing perfection. But they left the Alpha quarent a mess- palnets destroyed cultures with no homes. Starfleets broke, and eveyrone in the black market has seised control.

Now for the Dominion war- it's all coincedence. This was all DS9 plot- the station is in Bajor a planet who's religion is fixed on a point in the sky, a point that low an behod is a worm hole. And as it goes on the guy who finds it becomes the planets emmissay and thus thrusts the commander into the local religious influence. But on the other side of the worm hole is the Dominion a power larger then the Federation, And in a twist of events the Gods of the Dominion are the "Founders" who are shape shifters- Odo's people- and they geneticaly create their warriors and a caste system- every one of their followers are grown and cloned. The warriors are born addicted to a drug only the founders can make called White this they will die with out- thus making their religios oaths to the fonders when getting it makes them more fanatical- great villians.

They decide they own everything these founders and that the Alpha quadrant is theirs to take- ths kicks off the war. And for 4 seasons DS9 is at war! And most people missed it thinking - what is a show about a space station have to do with trek.

See Sisko- the Kirk or Picard of the show- gets the Defiante- (remeber First Contact- Worfs LITTLE SHIP) and it has a cloak! yes the only one that can have. And what's more- Sisko is the only captain to have punched out Q! I can go one and on about DS9- it's a show that was thought out well.

And when you look at episodes like the tribbles one I linked to last page you will see this show- a show made after Genes death- did well as a story and as a way of fitting into the continuity of the Trek TV shows and movies.

-
-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 6