Star Wars vs. Star Trek
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  

As a Star Wars fan...
...you're equally interested in Star Trek.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
...you're only casually interested in Star Trek.
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
...you have zero interest in Star Trek.
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
...you despise Star Trek...including Trekkies.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

the post war comment- this is after 2 wars- the Dominion War, and the War against the Borg- which they LOSE, sort of. The Borg threat they lose to- the Borg themselves evolve into beings who no longer care about assimilating - they see themselves as reachiing perfection. But they left the Alpha quarent a mess- palnets destroyed cultures with no homes. Starfleets broke, and eveyrone in the black market has seised control.

Now for the Dominion war- it's all coincedence. This was all DS9 plot- the station is in Bajor a planet who's religion is fixed on a point in the sky, a point that low an behod is a worm hole. And as it goes on the guy who finds it becomes the planets emmissay and thus thrusts the commander into the local religious influence. But on the other side of the worm hole is the Dominion a power larger then the Federation, And in a twist of events the Gods of the Dominion are the "Founders" who are shape shifters- Odo's people- and they geneticaly create their warriors and a caste system- every one of their followers are grown and cloned. The warriors are born addicted to a drug only the founders can make called White this they will die with out- thus making their religios oaths to the fonders when getting it makes them more fanatical- great villians.

They decide they own everything these founders and that the Alpha quadrant is theirs to take- ths kicks off the war. And for 4 seasons DS9 is at war! And most people missed it thinking - what is a show about a space station have to do with trek.

See Sisko- the Kirk or Picard of the show- gets the Defiante- (remeber First Contact- Worfs LITTLE SHIP) and it has a cloak! yes the only one that can have. And what's more- Sisko is the only captain to have punched out Q! I can go one and on about DS9- it's a show that was thought out well.

And when you look at episodes like the tribbles one I linked to last page you will see this show- a show made after Genes death- did well as a story and as a way of fitting into the continuity of the Trek TV shows and movies.

That was a very insightful, informative post, IR2, and thank you for taking the time to write that all for me. Which makes me all the more embarrassed to say, I already knew that. DS9 is my favourite Star Trek show! But I didn't know about the Borg War. Did that happen in the films, like First Contact?

And it was technically called Ketracel-white Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:

the post war comment- this is after 2 wars- the Dominion War, and the War against the Borg- which they LOSE, sort of. The Borg threat they lose to- the Borg themselves evolve into beings who no longer care about assimilating - they see themselves as reachiing perfection. But they left the Alpha quarent a mess- palnets destroyed cultures with no homes. Starfleets broke, and eveyrone in the black market has seised control.

Now for the Dominion war- it's all coincedence. This was all DS9 plot- the station is in Bajor a planet who's religion is fixed on a point in the sky, a point that low an behod is a worm hole. And as it goes on the guy who finds it becomes the planets emmissay and thus thrusts the commander into the local religious influence. But on the other side of the worm hole is the Dominion a power larger then the Federation, And in a twist of events the Gods of the Dominion are the "Founders" who are shape shifters- Odo's people- and they geneticaly create their warriors and a caste system- every one of their followers are grown and cloned. The warriors are born addicted to a drug only the founders can make called White this they will die with out- thus making their religios oaths to the fonders when getting it makes them more fanatical- great villians.

They decide they own everything these founders and that the Alpha quadrant is theirs to take- ths kicks off the war. And for 4 seasons DS9 is at war! And most people missed it thinking - what is a show about a space station have to do with trek.

See Sisko- the Kirk or Picard of the show- gets the Defiante- (remeber First Contact- Worfs LITTLE SHIP) and it has a cloak! yes the only one that can have. And what's more- Sisko is the only captain to have punched out Q! I can go one and on about DS9- it's a show that was thought out well.

And when you look at episodes like the tribbles one I linked to last page you will see this show- a show made after Genes death- did well as a story and as a way of fitting into the continuity of the Trek TV shows and movies.

That was a very insightful, informative post, IR2, and thank you for taking the time to write that all for me. Which makes me all the more embarrassed to say, I already knew that. DS9 is my favourite Star Trek show! But I didn't know about the Borg War. Did that happen in the films, like First Contact?

And it was technically called Ketracel-white Laughing

I couldn't for the life of me spell the White and too lazy to look it up Laughing

No the borg happens in the books- they stuck to a continuity after DS9 and that is why we have a reboot- IMO. Star Trek Destiny is the one the Borg evolve- they had already been huge villians in 4 books prior. Janeway ends up becoming a Borg Queen even.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Just wondering what you guys thought of the rought draft of the logo I've so far come up with. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's awesome! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

very mix!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

I couldn't for the life of me spell the White and too lazy to look it up Laughing

No the borg happens in the books- they stuck to a continuity after DS9 and that is why we have a reboot- IMO. Star Trek Destiny is the one the Borg evolve- they had already been huge villians in 4 books prior. Janeway ends up becoming a Borg Queen even.

Tut, tut, IR2! Okay, so I actually couldn't remember how it was spelled and had to look it up, too, so I can't talk!
But that's interesting. I had no idea they got their own continuity after that! That's always put me off those books, but now....? No! I must resist!

Tell me, what's happening to the books, written before the reboot? Are they given canon status or are they like our infinities? But thanks for the update!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Just wondering what you guys thought of the rought draft of the logo I've so far come up with. Smile

Now that's pretty nifty! Nice one, Mara!

For some reason that reminds me of this old song: Star-trekking, across the universe, boldly going forward, 'cause we can't find reverse!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:

Tell me, what's happening to the books, written before the reboot? Are they given canon status or are they like our infinities? But thanks for the update!

The errors between books are considered alternate timelines. some are very close to the main, or where timeloops later correct- or so goes the retcons Laughing But for before they either exist till a conflict, or are out of universe, the story follows closest to the events laid out in the TV shows ST, TNG, DS9, ST:V and the movies, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis- and picked up from there.

But The Borg ones I read and enjoyed a lot were Engines of Destiny Resistence Before Dishonor, Greater then the Sum. (ALL OF THESE STORIES AFTER THE "RELAUNCH ROCK!!)

But I'm missing book 2 of Destiny and have thus only sparsely glanced it over a few times, but ready up on the plot when I learned what happened to the Borg, then read through the end of book 3.

And from there things get snore fest.... Hence the reboot film instead of a movie picking up from the TNG relaunch (that which follows the events from the TV chronology and last movie chronology Nemesis)

-
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This the book you're missing?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Destiny-Mere-Mortals-Star-Trek/dp/1416551727/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290505271&sr=8-1
Yes, I'm throwing temptation your way again. *Laughs maniacally*

But anyway. Those classifications of the older books kind of sound like their version of our S-Canon. That makes sense, I suppose, and with the alternate timeline thing it at least has it in-keeping with Star Trek tradition, and since they're capable of crossing over from different timelines and realities it's not in the realm of impossible to keep it all together. Not bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Tiss the one. I've managed to get all my Trek books either from my Dad (inheriting his collection which rivals my SW one Wink ) Or at a used books store, I was able to score 4 for $4 last time, unfortunately #2 wasn't there that day ;(

-
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the video I put together for the project, which Mark was kind enough to narrate. Any comments or suggestions, please share! Smile

Trek Wars

My slogan: A long time ago, in a galaxy where no man has gone before...or not.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Last edited by Mara Jade Skywalker on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's amazing how much Mark sounds like William Shatner in the beginning there...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
It's amazing how much Mark sounds like William Shatner in the beginning there...

Laughing

Good vid, Mara! Very Happy I really like the editing, it makes it seem professional!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:

I know, he did a really good job, didn't he? Wink

Thanks, Joe! Appreciate it. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Great video Mara Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 3 of 6