Log in to check your private messages
Star Wars vs. Star Trek
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  

As a Star Wars fan...
...you're equally interested in Star Trek.
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
...you're only casually interested in Star Trek.
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
...you have zero interest in Star Trek.
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
...you despise Star Trek...including Trekkies.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

 PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Alan Skywalker V
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 599

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Also, if anyone knows of a reliable guide that shows how the last two seasons and first three films of TNG, all of DS9, and the first four or five seasons of VOY fit together, please give me a link. I'll drive myself insane trying to figure out how to piece the timeline fron 2369-2375 together on my own.


www.ex-astris-scientia.org is a good source for that kind of information. The author is a bit militant in his views (he sometimes completely dismissed information that we might call "G-canon", because it doesn't fit his view). But he's got all the facts there. And he links to some really cool fansites.

Another good one is www.memory-alpha.org. Memory Alpha is the Star Trek version of Wookieepedia. It ignores the books and comics (but I think there's a Memory Beta too, that covers books).

There's no real need to try and fit exactly how TNG/DS9 relate to VOY, since it isn't until very late in VOY when there's finally crossovers (I think the first time Voyager actually made contact with the Federation was in Season 4, so the very very end of DS9). And there's only one season of overlap between TNG and DS9. Honestly, the easiest way to figure out when events of one series take place, relative to the other series is by airdate. In TNG, DS9, and VOY, the airdate is a fairly good indicator of time. One season is roughly one calendar year, and, given any particular overlapping season, Episode 7 of one series is roughly concurrent with Episode 7 of the other series. Same go with movies; Insurrection was released in 1998, and is concurrent with late Season 6/early Season 7 of DS9; Nemesis was released in 2002 and in the dialogue they said it had been 15 years since the beginning of TNG (1987).


Haha, I know. The TNG/DS9 overlap isn't too bad, since it's only two seasons of both. It's the DS9/VOY overlap that was causing me concern, since that overlap is the longest. First Contact shouldn't be too hard to pin down, but Insurrection is a bit tricky. The war's still going on, but there's really no clear indicators of when it occurs. I read on Wikipedia that Insurrection was set after the war's end, but before the treaty signing in the DS9 finale; I don't take Wikipedia at face value though.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Niner
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 26 Nov 2011
Posts: 58

I'll admit, I LOVE Star Trek. Every series, even Voyager and Enterprise. I like all the movies except Insurrection and the JJ Abrahms one (which is a horrible movie made by someone who doesn't know anything about Star Trek).

As for ST vs. SW, I'm torn. When it comes to comparing the universes, I like the ST TV series more than I liked the SW movies. But, when you take the SW EU into account, I'm torn. As much as I like Star trek, the EU just makes the SW universe more interesting, and has produced so many great stories and unforgettable characters. Star trek has some good books, but the fact that they aren't canon, and sometimes completely contradict each other, makes them little more than, well, good books asd opposed to good books that expand and build on a great existing universe.

So, I guess if its SW movies vs. ST, ST wins. If its SW EU vs. ST, I think I have to give it to SW.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  GrandMaster
Master
Master

Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 525
Location: Earth Jedi Temple

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
It's the DS9/VOY overlap that was causing me concern, since that overlap is the longest.


Don't worry about that overlap - VOY takes place thousands of lightyears away from DS9, so they are very separate.
_________________
"But it was so artistically done."

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Alan Skywalker V
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 599

At least I've been able to pinpoint "Emissary" as occuring between "Rascals" and "Birthright" in TNG:S6 since O'Brien is still aboard the Enterprise in the former episode and the station appears in the latter.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1657
Location: Ontario, Canada

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Haha, I know. The TNG/DS9 overlap isn't too bad, since it's only two seasons of both. It's the DS9/VOY overlap that was causing me concern, since that overlap is the longest. First Contact shouldn't be too hard to pin down, but Insurrection is a bit tricky. The war's still going on, but there's really no clear indicators of when it occurs. I read on Wikipedia that Insurrection was set after the war's end, but before the treaty signing in the DS9 finale; I don't take Wikipedia at face value though.


Insurrection definitely did not/not take place after the end of DS9. Picard explicitly states that the Federation was still taking heavy losses to the Dominion.

I suspect that it takes place shortly before the S6 Finale, since that's when the Federation really goes on the offensive.
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  illogicalRogue2
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 2854
Location: ....last know presence was near the Tingel Arm..

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Haha, I know. The TNG/DS9 overlap isn't too bad, since it's only two seasons of both. It's the DS9/VOY overlap that was causing me concern, since that overlap is the longest. First Contact shouldn't be too hard to pin down, but Insurrection is a bit tricky. The war's still going on, but there's really no clear indicators of when it occurs. I read on Wikipedia that Insurrection was set after the war's end, but before the treaty signing in the DS9 finale; I don't take Wikipedia at face value though.


Insurrection definitely did not/not take place after the end of DS9. Picard explicitly states that the Federation was still taking heavy losses to the Dominion.

I suspect that it takes place shortly before the S6 Finale, since that's when the Federation really goes on the offensive.


http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/2375 The year was 2375, the place. The alpha Quadrant.
_________________

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 6 of 6
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield