A return to the forums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
A return to the forums
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hello all!

It's been some time since I posted here. I decided to distance myself from the forum a while ago, but I thought I'd come back to check stuff out.

I'll be honest, I left because I found myself reading stuff on the politics threads in the Meditation Grove that got under my skin. None of it was meant to be taken personally, but I disagreed so vehemently with some of what was said that I was getting upset. So I decided to try and distance myself from it (stopping reading the forum altogether, rather than just those threads).

But I'm back and wanted to share some things!

First and most importantly, I'm a dad now! Yay! My wife gave birth to a little girl (Marilla) five weeks ago. Everyone is happy and healthy and I'm ecstatic to be a dad!

Also, people who've been on the forums a while know I used to write for EUCantina, doing a few columns that eventually went defunct because I didn't keep up with them.

I've decided to take up writing again and made my own blog, taralbooks.blogspot.ca. My first post is all about my early writing for EUCantina. The blog will mostly be about the stuff I'm reading (a lot of Star Wars and X-Men, mostly; occasionally some other things). I'll also discuss other cool things (games I've played, places I've been, etc.) I would love it if EUCantina folks want to check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hi Taral! Very Happy

Congrats on being a father and your new blogs.

I'm not sure if my posts in the Med Grove had any contribution to your frustration, but I've taken a huge step away from all things political since I wrote my most recent Med Grove posts. It's hard to explain what has happened over the past year or so, but I found myself heading down a direction, I had never planned to go (became the very evil I swore to destroy Wink ). I have since become a conscientious objector in the culture war and have redirected my focus onto the things that really matter to me. I still try to stay informed (within reason), but I'm not picking sides.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Congrats to the new dad...and mom! Smile

Also glad to see you return to something that you obviously love...writing.

I think a lot of us, at one time or another, have had to step back from various forums or other online social media sites. I've had to do that with Star Wars in general and even Bible Prophecy sites. One lesson that I remember my mother teaching me when I was in college was "everything in moderation". Unfortunately, I've had to re-learn that lesson throughout my adult life. I'm the type of person that pours my whole being into something about which I'm passionate. And, most of the time, it gets to the point where it consumes most of my time...even in times when it shouldn't. Sometimes, because of it, I'd fall into a depression that would affect me and those around me. A couple times it has jeopardized my marriage. (Fret not, we celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in less than 2 weeks!). I had to step back, refocus my priorities, and move on. After a while I would allow myself to enjoy that passion...but in a controlled manner.

I'll tell ya though...there's just something about Star Wars that just keeps sucking you back in. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote  

Congratulations, Taral!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1