Random Thing of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Random advise of the day: always be willing to learn new things, even if you do not think you need to.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The best thing about being home alone for an extended period of time: breaking into song whenever you darn well feel like it. It's like living in a musical! Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Life should have more choreographed musical numbers.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

We should ask him. Maybe he will oblige.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Consider this a formal request.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I shall attend to it!

Prepare for swing dancing. Boom!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How far do you trust wikipedia?

Yesterday I was watching a TV show (though it's more accurate to say that the TV was merely on, and I happened to be listening at a specific moment), and a woman on there stated 'the Nordic countries have the highest rates of alcoholism in the world. And that is a fact!' I queried that and searched through Google. Unfortunately, I couldn't really find anything, until I happened across a wikipedia page on alcohol consumption rates of the world. I clicked on the source link, had a brief perusal of the study, and looked at the list of consumption rates, etc. It seemed accurate enough, though I couldn't find the numbers for Moldavia in the list (but again I didn't look at the whole thing). All this is to say, it's led me to rethink how much I can allow myself to trust wikipedia. I'm up in the air on it, for the moment. Would you say it's acceptable to turn to it for a brief overview, as long as you check the source material, too?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

When it really matters, wikipediea tends to get it right. The people posting to articles about history, science, etc. are mostly people who know what they're doing, and who provide links.

I recently used it to educate myself about some microorganisms for a work project!

I wouldn't trust it as much for things like News, because news is almost always politicized anyway. The article might be written by someone left-leaning or right-leaning. The admins are pretty good at keeping articles neutral, but it's not the best.

If something looks weird or off, you can check the history of the article. Vandalism is usually pretty obvious. For a while, the hometown of my wife's cousin said that one of his friends founded the town (they changed the wikipedia article as a birthday present, and no one caught it for months.)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Really? That's quite fascinating, and my estimation of wikipedia has gone up a mite or two! Thanks for your input, Taral Smile .

*Goes off to research the southern dispersal hypothesis*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, it's quite amazing how accurate Wikipedia is. You just gotta check the citations and source materials.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The best part of Wikipedia is when people troll it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

In America, "ditto" means like "yeah, sure," right? My friend and I were arguing about this; I did the thing where you put a quotation mark underneath something, meaning "same as above." He said something about a ditto and I said that I'm pretty sure it means "alright," or "ok" in the context of;

"Will you go do that for me?"

"Ditto"

Apparently it does mean a duplicate, but I'm sure it means ok as well...

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Over here, or the only way I've ever heard it used, was to mean, "What he said." Or "Same to you." Like...just a couple of lame examples:

"I'll have a double cheesburger." "Ditto."

"I love you." "Ditto."

Never heard it to mean "Okay." Not that it doesn't, just never heard it used in that context.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Over here, or the only way I've ever heard it used, was to mean, "What he said." Or "Same to you." Like...just a couple of lame examples:

Likewise (or "ditto"). that's the only way I've heard it used here in New York as well.

I don't suppose you were thinking of "righto"? That's the only word I can think of that sounds similar to "ditto" and means "alright" or "ok".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would pay good money to hear an American say 'righto!'. Extra if they wear a pinstriped suit and bowler hat Razz .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 23 of 42