Random Thing of the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry, I know I promised this awhile ago, but I haven't been home to get them. Here are a couple examples of the once StarWarsKids.com home page:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm watching PBS and a guy just said, "After my niece gave birth to her twins, Luke and Leia, she created this sculpture" and then went on to talk about folk art and gardening and hippos.

I was like, "What? Did I hear that?"
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Would you folks keep me in your prayers? I've had a really rough time lately with job hunting and have come very close to just giving up altogether.

I've been trying to get my foot in the door with the public library system by applying for a part time job to get some more experience as it will be some time before I can go on to graduate school to get my MLS, thanks to my loans from my Bachelor's. It's closing in on two years at this point since I graduated and will likely be another year at least, if not two, before I can even think about GS.

In two years I've applied for several part time library positions in the area and have only gotten called for an interview twice. The second time was this November, at my county library. Everyone there knows who I am; I volunteered during the summer in high school and checked out books quite frequently. They know being a librarian is what I want to do. I would absolutely love working there.

They still turned me down for the fourth time in two years. I wasn't very happy; Dad and Mom were livid. Mom finally managed to get hold of the library director after several unanswered phone calls to ask her why I had been turned down.

The director's response? "She's too shy, but maybe working at a bookstore would be good for her."

WTH?

Her suggestion was ludicrous. On the surface, it seems a good idea; however, I'm hearing impaired and have issues with sensory overload due to Asperger's Syndrome. I get overwhelmed very easily and sometimes need a place where I can have some quiet. When there's too much going on around me I can't take it. Even at family gatherings I'll slip off to be by myself for a while. A library may be busy at times, but it's definitely not as busy as a bookstore, so I would have some time to decompress.

Dad and Mom think the library simply doesn't want to deal with the issue of my hearing aids and that's why they turned me down.

We're in the middle of working some stuff out, trying to document my disabilities, ect. and get some assisstance with the job hunt, but it's still a long road ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Keep at it!! A library seems like the prefect place to work, very calm, lots of sneak away isles for a little breather. It is hard to get in with the county (at least here in south Fla) my sister in-law applied to the library for 2 years before ever getting a call back. She started part time and moved up to full, so the path your on sounds like the library norm! Keep your head up and keep on plugging away! Dreams are hard, or els we would all be millionaires lol!! You'll get it!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

How to apply?

The local science center I volunteer at has part time openings available, and I'm applying for two of them. On the website there's a application that can be printed and filled out, but on the listings for the specific jobs I'm looking at, it says to apply by sending cover letter and resume via email. Should I do both - hard copy application and email?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd say it depends on how big the operation is. If they have an HR depot that does the hiring, then they will be the ones who check the emails and might not get a hand delivered resume and won't see you even if you did drop it off.

If it's a manager who does the hiring directly, then I'd say it's better to drop it off in person so they can meet you and get an impression of the person they want to hire.

Actually, since you already volunteer there, you should do both. If you talk to someone who works there that knows you and say you are interested in the job, that will be the best. Companies almost always prefer to hire someone that they know and who already knows what they are doing and can get a recommendation from an employee.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That sucks, Alan. I'll be praying for you.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So yesterday I was browsing YouTube and came across the old Heritage Minute videos.

For those not from Canada, Heritage Minute videos are short videos that showcase some important part of Canadian history. They started being produced as far back as 1991 and still show up on TV today. Many Canadian networks air them for free (they count towards minimum requirements of "Canadian content", per official guidelines). They always ended with the caption "A Part of our Heritage".

Some of the more memorable ones include:
-Superman (Joe Shuster was Canadian)
-John McCrae (wrote the poem "In Flanders Fields", which all Canadian schoolchildren learn)
-Laura Secord (warned the British of an American invasion during the War of 1812)
-Vimy Ridge
-Winnie the Pooh
-Irish orphans in Quebec
-Syrup
-Basketball (the inventor was Canadian)
-The Halifax explosion (largest non-nuclear explosion ever)
-The name Canada
-Etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00n67k-f7Yw&list=PL1848FF9428CA9A4A

A lot of these are really 90s, but they started making some new ones recently, like for the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, and in advance of the 150th anniversary of Confederation.

These videos warm the cockles of your heart, as you remember many of these short clips from your youth, and remember learning cool things about where your country comes from. Good times.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I remember those! Very Happy

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am recovering from hernia surgery. The good and the bad kind of balances out because, although I wish it didn't happen, I am enjoying the excuse to be lazy. I've spent the last couple days getting caught up on reading, re-watching The Legend of Korra and some movies, and playing Civilization V.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Apologies for the triple post, but I figured this would be the best place for this.

So as you probably know I'm away in the Netherlands right now. It's about 8:30 pm where I am and I'm resting after a busy day. For the most part I'm having a really good time and I will post some of the stuff I did when I get back, but I knew going in that it wouldn't all be pleasant because of some family baggage I knew would come up with a certain family member there.

Well, today was... weird. I won't go into details here, but I have been very angry at a member of my family for many years now and today I found out that my anger was most likely misplaced. It's really weird. After feeling an emotion for so long and to suddenly have it seemingly invalidated is... I don't know what to do with it. Confused

I posted it here because... I suppose it's kind of a good thing. If there has been a misunderstanding all these years (and I'm still not 100% on that), it means I can finally let go of my anger, but it's such a total mindkriff that I can't bring myself to be totally happy about it. It's like my world has been turned upside down.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Am working on what I hope will become my second novel series, though the writing has admittedly stalled a bit at the moment, due to needing to do more research and also working on a fanfiction as well as taking short spells of time away from the computer entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You've already written a novel series and are on the second? Surprised

That's awesome, Alan. You put me to shame lol

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ha ha, the first series was a trilogy on King Arthur. Nothing special, really. This next one's going to take some fair research.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly, just finishing a story - let alone three - is a feat in itself, so kudos to you for that.

The story I was working on before I ditched it in favour of my current idea was also based on Arthurian legend. It actually was fairly ambitious though and I wanted to do a lot of research on it to get it right. Once the inspiration for my new idea hit though, I realized I wanted to go with an original idea instead. I haven't forgotten the previous idea and I may come back to it someday.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 44 of 45