Essential/Best Blu Rays?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essential/Best Blu Rays?
 PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If you say "Star Wars", that's fine.

But for me I don't buy new versions of every movie I already own just to have it on a new format. So that means I require a newish movie where highest visual fidelity matters or it contains more and better material than a previous version.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Second for second, there is no greater blu-ray release than that of Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line through the Criterion Collection. It's not my favorite movie, but the visuals and sound and features make it a phenomenal release.

Outside of that I really like what they id with Arrow's release of We Are the Flesh and the basic release of Aronofsky's Black Swan, both of which are fantastic in terms of all around inclusive features.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Except for Star Wars and Jurassic Park, I haven't intentionally bought the blu-ray of anything I already owned on DVD.

There were a couple of times where it happened because I was buying box sets, or it was dirt cheap.

I owned the DVD of Repo! The Genetic Opera, and then saw the blu-ray for less than $10.

I owned a bunch of James Bond DVDs (Volume 2 and 3 of the box sets that each contained 5 movies, split fairly equally among the Bonds), but when Canada's big chain of music and movie stores went out of business earlier this year, I bought some blu-ray box sets (which were organized by Bond actor; so I got all seven Roger Moore and all four Pierce Brosnan movies for $50 taxes in).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

1. Tron: Legacy. Sounds silly, but I love that movie. It's the only movie I've seen in all three formats available at the theater when it was released. I first saw it in IMAX 3D, then just 3D and finally just Standard. Hands down I would pay to see it in IMAX 3D again, and the same goes for the Blu-Ray release. The way the movie was done seriously benefits from the better quality format unlike many movies which, in my opinion, do not.

2. Alien Anthology. Never have I enjoyed the bonus features included in a set more than I did with this one. Fantastic! I almost feel like watching them again right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Mara: Actually I own that one as well, it's pretty amazing. I love the interactive stuff, they really went all-out. Those are some meaty features.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote  

I'm of no help with this one. I have both a DVD and a Blu-ray player, so I always end up buying a copy of which ever is cheapest. I've never been overly fond of any of the bonus features with the exception of the making of feature that came with the Alien boxset and then some of the Star Wars documentary making of things for the original trilogy.

When it comes to picture quality, I can't tell the difference between Blu-ray or DVD unless there are two TV's side-by-side.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've been contemplating buying a Blu Ray player for a while now, but probably won't until I move out. I bought Rogue One on Blu Ray and will probably start buying more and more (provided they have a DVD included).

Off the top of my head some of my must-haves for Blu Ray would be Star Wars, Christopher Nolan movies, and The Revenant.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I went ahead and picked up 2001, even though I already had it on dvd. Should I get Donnie Darko? I have the director's cut on dvd, so it could be cool if they have the theatrical version on bluray as I actually like that cut better.

I've sort of expanded my criteria and I'm just going to get the best sci fi movies that I don't already have.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wanted to mention that there are two movies that I own that are among my favourites, but I won't buy the blu-rays simply because I spent TOO MUCH MONEY on the DVDs:

*Starship Troopers (three-disc special edition)
*Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (at the time, the only DVD available was the Criterion Edition).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Recently there's been some crazy awesome Blu Ray releases.

If you're into foreign film or horror then Arrow just released The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, which is astounding.

Donnie Darko was just released by Shout! Factory and it is a completely insane release. The picture is amazing, the sound has been reworked from the previous one (it wasn't bad but it had issues), and the special features are absolutely bonkers.

Criterion is releasing Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker next month and it is on my "will buy" list. If you live somewhere it is screening I recommend it, the 2k restoration is supposed to look absolutely gorgeous.

I bought the new Beauty & the Beast Blu Ray and it is actually really great. That the picture and sound are near perfect is no shock, it's a brand new movie in an era where a lot of them look good on release but the behind the scenes stuff and commentary are very full.

These are just a few of the ones I've been watching lately. I'm hoping to pick up the Kino release of The Sacrifice soon and watch that, and I'm looking into rounding out my Universal Monster movies collection with The Mummy and The Invisible Man. Creature from the Black Lagoon is proving hard to find but I keep looking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1