Opinions on FOTJ series so far (spoiler free)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you like FOTJ so far?
Great!
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Pretty Good
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Decent
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Bad
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Padme: Keep dreamin, Vestara and Ben are gonna have little half Sith babies Wink

And I don't wanna lose Tahiri!!! Haven't we as fans lost enough Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Caedus_16 wrote:
@Padme: Keep dreamin, Vestara and Ben are gonna have little half Sith babies Wink

*plugs ears* Lalalalalala, I can't hear you!!!!! Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
As for Ben: love the kid, but I'm still not happy with the whole situation with Vestara. I'm seriously hoping she dies at the end of the series.

I would be happy if it goes the other way around... Razz

I don't think she dies, I bet she's either Mara Mark II or Lumiya Mark II and around for a long time either way I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

She had such potential to be a really great character and they didn't take advantage of it.

Ha! They ruined the potential of nearly every character in that generation. Anakin, Jaina, Jacen, Tahiri, Raynar, Lowbacca, Tenel Ka, etc. The NJO ended so perfectly, they had every chance to make amazing stories about these characters. But then came the five year jump. Bad, bad idea. All the younger characters lost five of their prime years! And then of course every single one of them was ruined in LotF.

So yeah, I agree. FotJ is a way to patch things up. However, I will never like Ben. I say this now, because I still feel like he's a replacement for Anakin. If they would just handle Ben like Ben, I think we could all like him. But they're trying to turn him into Anakin Solo, and in that they're ruining his character. Or wasting it, rather. And I know this sounds silly about a fictional character, but they need to let him grow into the Ben that we would come to know and love! Instead, they're forcing this fake personality on us, and it's just not working. Not for me, anyway.

I'm still waiting for Vortex, and I'm really looking forward to it. Despite my complaints, I'm still a loyal fan. As long as they're producing pretty good stories, I'll keep reading them. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

So yeah, I agree. FotJ is a way to patch things up. However, I will never like Ben. I say this now, because I still feel like he's a replacement for Anakin. If they would just handle Ben like Ben, I think we could all like him. But they're trying to turn him into Anakin Solo, and in that they're ruining his character. Or wasting it, rather. And I know this sounds silly about a fictional character, but they need to let him grow into the Ben that we would come to know and love! Instead, they're forcing this fake personality on us, and it's just not working. Not for me, anyway.

That's interesting that you feel that way. I loved Anakin Solo as much as you can love a fictional character and would have even taken him back via Flow Walking if they had gone with that without complaint. I don't love Ben as much as I loved Anakin, but I have hope for him. I like him a lot now (despite my hatred of the Vestara romance) and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they'll turn him into a character I can really get behind.

Oh, and I'm assuming you know that our library got Vortex, Mara? Smile

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
She had such potential to be a really great character and they didn't take advantage of it.

Ha! They ruined the potential of nearly every character in that generation. Anakin, Jaina, Jacen, Tahiri, Raynar, Lowbacca, Tenel Ka, etc. The NJO ended so perfectly, they had every chance to make amazing stories about these characters. But then came the five year jump. Bad, bad idea. All the younger characters lost five of their prime years! And then of course every single one of them was ruined in LotF.

I'm still waiting for Vortex, and I'm really looking forward to it. Despite my complaints, I'm still a loyal fan. As long as they're producing pretty good stories, I'll keep reading them. Smile

For Ben, I think Ben gets a hard rap due to Anakin's Death. I think Ben's just Ben. He might be fashioned in a more cooler mold like his Cousin Anakin vs Jacen. But he's Luke's son so he should be more like Anakin Solo IMO. Anakin and Jacen up till NJO and then once more at the end of NJO were like sons to Luke in a sense. Jacen for a while did that whole not sure of his place thing. But I think Ben's got a leg up on Jacen and is so like Anakin cause he had older role models.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, and I'm assuming you know that our library got Vortex, Mara? Smile

Oh, yes, I know. They've had it on order now since the day it came out. And yet here I sit, still on the waiting list. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote  

Personality wise, I don't seen Been intruding any on Anakin. The only similarities I see are the age range (though Ben is now past Anakin's age...I think) and the role: ie. the young Jedi Knight center of the story. But Ben definitely has some personality that makes him different. He's got his background as GAS which gives him cop traits, and there's the fact that he's Grandmaster Luke Skywalker's and Master Mara Jade Skywalker's son. He gets to be powerful Jedi and spy.

One thing that just popped into my head though is who are Ben's contemporaries? What Jedi are in his age range? Are there any? I think Seha is. Anybody else?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Seha's in her early twenties by FotJ. Wink I like Ben's character, although I read LotF before the NJO so I don't quite have the love for Anakin Solo like most EU fans do. Ben/Vestara is good in some ways, bad in others, but I don't mind it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
One thing that just popped into my head though is who are Ben's contemporaries? What Jedi are in his age range? Are there any? I think Seha is. Anybody else?

None alive, I assume. (Kani Asari was, wasn't she?) Well, some unnamed former younglings from novels where we get to see the Jedi kids on Ossus (DN, Inferno), but none named that I would know of.

Personally, I think Ben's problem is that Anakin and Jacen were killed, Jaina pushed aside and Ben was put in their place and DR tries hard - too hard - that he should be seen as awesome and carrying the EU novel franchise with Luke when he isn't awesome nor carrying the franchise and he is still in the shadow of the Solo kids.

Not that I complain, I don't want to see DR succeed with Ben who is to me basically the EU equivalent to Jake Lloyd's version of Anakin Skywalker. (No offense intended towards Jake Lloyd.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't see anything wrong with Ben. I think it's in the eye of the readers expectations. I mean, what is he expected to be? Obviously he should have great potential being the son of two powerful jedi. Obviously he is gonna get a lot of page time being on the journey with Luke.

I don't get the whole "he's a replacement for the solo boys" thing. He wasn't born after their deaths. He was always gonna be there. Do people think he was going to be handled much differently if one or both of the solo boys lived? I don't.

I don't have much of an issue with the handling of ben. My only problem is that I've always been surprised that Mara and Luke only had one child.

I also don't really buy the theory of DR making up for mistakes. The Lake of Apparitions was a great scene, and it brought some closure on some issues. But an apology? I don't view it that way at all.

Truth be told, the only apology of sorts that I could see would be Anakin's death. Of course GL had to step in and make it Anakin rather than Jacen, so they were kind of boxed into a corner. Did I like it that Chewbacca, Jacen, Anakin and Mara were all killed off? Heck no. But I don't see the storylines as an awful thing as a result.

One point I agree with is the 5 year post NJO gap being a giant missed opportunity to flesh out the characters of some of the younger jedi. There could have been many more late teens through early 30's jedi with much more of a history for us to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote  

I think Ben needs some friends, or at least some Jedi created in his age range that he can work with (in the future at the very least). Even if they aren't going to interact with him now, the sooner they are established, the better. That would probably help develop Ben's character because so far he's only worked with older Jedi who have mentored him, for the most part. Of course we do have Vestara now.

There's a ten year difference between Ben and Jysella Horn. That's a pretty big gap between the new Jedi they are rolling out in FOTJ and whoever should be in Ben's age group. It would seem the young Jedi Knights are being neglected right now.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I agree Darth Skuldren.

@kurtdc: Actually Anakin Solo had a death sentence before the beginning of the NJO so Ben could very well be his replacement even if he was born during the NJO.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The version of the story I heard was Anakin was killed of(instead of Jacen) because GL didn't want confusion with the Anakin of the prequels. Maybe I misremember, but that's how I recall it. I could swear I read something where the authors said Jacen was originally supposed to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

kurtdc wrote:
The version of the story I heard was Anakin was killed of(instead of Jacen) because GL didn't want confusion with the Anakin of the prequels. Maybe I misremember, but that's how I recall it. I could swear I read something where the authors said Jacen was originally supposed to go.

GL didn't decide who would die, he just said that Anakin couldn't be the big hero. The original plan was this:

In Vector Prime, Luke - who would have had several children with Mara by then - dies and Jacen becomes the leader of the Jedi. Apparently Chewbacca survives. In Star by Star Jacen dies and Anakin becomes the central character.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 5