Opinions on FOTJ series so far (spoiler free)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you like FOTJ so far?
Great!
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Pretty Good
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Decent
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Bad
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:
Note: that we had to kill Anakin instead of Jacen (we had originally planed it the other way around.)

And this was due to his feeling that people would confuse Anakin Skywalker with Anakin Solo.

Okay just to clarify things here, the source of that idea is James Luceno and here's the exact quote from the interview. [below now] This is Luceno's assumption but somehow this has been taken as gospel by the fans.

in the back of The Unifying Force Shelly Shapiro & JL states of GLs role:

DR: How much of a role did George Lucas play in shaping the series?

SS:
I would characterize his role as limited but important. He's the one who said the alien invaders could not be dark side Force-users, that we couldn't kill Luke, that we had to kill Anakin instead of Jacen (we had originally planed it the other way around.) Other then that he occasionally answered some basic questions for us, but that was rare.

JL:
"Several times at Skywalker Ranch, George was sitting almost within arm's reach, but I never got to speak with him. But he played a major role in giving shape to the NJO by commenting extensively on the early version of the five-year story arc, as Lucy and Shelly have said. His objection to Anakin Solo being the main series protagonist was, I think, possibly confusion with Anakin Skywalker in the prequel trilogy of movies. There would be too many Anakins out there! and I distinctly recall Georg's taking particular exception to our careless description of Onimi as "dwarfish."

When we received his feedback, suddenly we were faced with having to create a new enemy... and yet somehow differentiate that enemy from dozens already developed by various authors of the Bantam books. Worse, we were stripped of the one character from the Bantam line who was ideally set up to inherit the Jedi mantle from Luke."

Yes JL said "I think"- right AFTER SS said GL said to kill him. Take your pick- SS saying YES of JL saying he THINKS. But that's not fan theory, it's right there in print. same article we are both referring to. But if you continue reading I think it's clear what George said, JL was not positive EXACTLY what he said hence his "I think" comment, but it's clear from his continuation that he knew George said Anakin's dying.

The wookiees- this was a statement (like many for GL to fandom) taken out of context. He didn't want any more Wookiee Jedi showing up in the CW and Plo Kloon's Master raised the issue- EU Fans feared this was what knocked Lowie out the books- and yes he did fall out the stories- because everyone thought GL meant ALL Jedi Wookiees once that was cleared up Lowie came back to the books a little at a time. But we'll not be seeing any new Jedi Wookiee characters any time soon.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I never disputed GL saying "Kill Anakin Solo instead of Jacen.", and there's nothing in my post that remotely indicates that. That wasn't the issue I addressed. The issue was whether GL said it for the reasons attributed to him, which was actually Luceno's spin on it; the whole Anakin Skywalker/Anakin Solo confusion theory. Luceno gave it as his opinion but the fans have taken it as the gospel according to GL.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wait. So why didn't GL want wookiee Jedi? Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Because he thought they looked ridiculous with lightsabers? Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Wait. So why didn't GL want wookiee Jedi? Confused

Most fan theories are he has plans for either the Wookiee's or a Wookiee Jedi.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, so why can't there be two Wookiee Jedi? What about Stass Allie and Adi Gallia. Or Eeth Koth and Agen Kolar. Honestly. Neutral

On another note, two things I dislike about the way certain character groups are handled in FotJ:

1.The Mandalorians. Two reasons. a) In LotF the Mandos were beginning to gain their independance once again, they'd had enough of being guns for hire. And voila, they're now Daala's goons. b) They're treated like savages. I can easily believe in a character like Belok Rhal (well, maybe with a better name), but I can't believe that the Mando masses will back him up. There's no reason to believe these Mandos are a special group so I'll assume they're True Mandalorians and True Mandalorians follow the Supercommando Codex. Unless that isn't canon anymore, which would be a shame.

2.The Jedi Council. These guys should be the wisest of the wise not squabbling belly-achers.

I know I've already talked about these, but I just thought I'd restate. Razz

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Okay, so why can't there be two Wookiee Jedi? What about Stass Allie and Adi Gallia. Or Eeth Koth and Agen Kolar. Honestly. Neutral

Not "2 wookiee Jedi" IRC it was he didn't want Wookiee Jedi in the CW era. but due to GL not ever coming out and saying "Hey I said this" what writers and fandom hear is "No more wookiee Jedi" When Lowie fans wondered why their favorite Jedi suddenly disappeared they learned of the comment made just before TCW kicked off - rumors of Wookiee Jedi in both series ran rampant, as did ones that GL planed on more Kashyyyk episodes, and that everything about the comments would be explained later in a show.

When further pressed about Lowbacca specifically they said GL never said "no Wookiee Jedi ever- just not in the CW" (not exact quote) At that time Plo Kloon's Master had already been killed in the Republic comic, and Lowie was really the last of the "known" Jedi Wookiees. But even then we've only had few references to Lowie- it's as if the writers are afraid to use him to much and have GL's attention turn to him and give him a death ax Laughing

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

-
-

Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

@Reep: Regarding your second point, read Vortex. And with that, I shall say no more. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

What comes to the Jedi Order, the one message after NJO that has come out clear and loud is that the Jedi Masters are incapable of leading the Order without Luke.

When Luke goes missing, like in DN, they bicker and divide between supporters of GA and independence, when Luke gets exiled the same happens and in between, when Luke was hesitant in LotF, the whole Order froze and the Jedi Masters got some around of bickering going on.

Jedi Masters turning against each other and making a mess of things without the strong, guiding hand of Luke leading the Order is just one of the staple ingredients of stories which come from Troy Denning.

Like nanoviruses, suicide bombings done by GA CoS and gruesome mutilations etc.

Don't be surprised if Daala - missing a limb or two by the time - blows herself up in Fotj 9: Apocalypse when attacked by Squibs infected with a nanovirus...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Rouge77 wrote:
What comes to the Jedi Order, the one message after NJO that has come out clear and loud is that the Jedi Masters are incapable of leading the Order without Luke.

When Luke goes missing, like in DN, they bicker and divide between supporters of GA and independence, when Luke gets exiled the same happens and in between, when Luke was hesitant in LotF, the whole Order froze and the Jedi Masters got some around of bickering going on.

Jedi Masters turning against each other and making a mess of things without the strong, guiding hand of Luke leading the Order is just one of the staple ingredients of stories which come from Troy Denning.

Like nanoviruses, suicide bombings done by GA CoS and gruesome mutilations etc.

Don't be surprised if Daala - missing a limb or two by the time - blows herself up in Fotj 9: Apocalypse when attacked by Squibs infected with a nanovirus...

I honestly see the Masters conflict from DN to now the HEART of the separation between the Jedi and the Imperial Knights.

My latest wild theory: LUKE SKYWALKER sets up the Imperial Knights.

I mean it seems we'll see the Jedi decide- if You serve the Force you'll remain here as a Jedi, if you serves the Force personified by our leader you'll go with the Imperials and become their Knights.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Kenth Hamner was never the right guy to lead the Jedi Order, but the problem was he was the only guy Daala would accept. She forced Kenth as grandmaster on the Jedi Order. IMO, the Council has been very much in agreement over what action to take. It was Kenth who was out of step with the rest of the Council.

IR2, I don't agree with you at all about Saba. After seeing how her mistake in NJO doomed her race and she recovered, I don't think she's going to

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Rogue! Major spoilers in your post, and at least a few here have not read the book yet. Sorry, just remembering that this is a spoiler free thread. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

-
-

Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
I think this is the door they will use to make Leia a more important voice in the Jedi Order. About time she got a Mastership and perhaps an apprentice of her own.

Considering that Leia is a former COS and a Skywalker, she's really been underutilized. It's like everyone got amnesia about her being COS. Of course, Daala wouldn't want to deal with Leia from a political perspective cause Leia's just that good, but what about everyone else? Seriously, who forgets when someone's a former president? I know she's relinquished politics, but come on, she's a totally underused source for the Jedi. She's not just another Jedi knight; she's a hero of the Rebellion, a former COS and a Skywalker.

Maybe this will be the stepping stone to her becoming a Master. IMO, she should be on the Council.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 5