So this is Christmas....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  

When you hear "Happy Holidays", what do you think?
That should say Merry Christmas! Jesus is the reason for the seaon.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
I plead the 5th
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No one religion or following owns December, it's all good! And Happy Holidays to YOU!
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
We do something different altogether - let me tell you...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

So this is Christmas....
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Allo, Aloha, and Hi!

Welcome EUCers!

I want to know: How does your family's Holiday Traditions work?

For me, growing up we'd hold Christmas on Christmas eve, we'd have the extended family over to my Grandparents house and after eating Christmas Dinner we'd all sit around the tree and open presents. Then once finished we'd get out Stockings. Then the next day "Santa would come" and drop off the BIG gifts.

My wife though has a sister who's birthday is on the 24th (Happy Birthday Jenny!) And thus her family would have her Birthday on the 24th, and do all of their Christmas on the 25th. They would get up open gifts and eat their dinner that night.

For my family (my wife and our 2 kids) we followed the tradition of my family and then would spend the 25th with hers and get them both hit.

This year we did things a little different: My parents and my sister's family did Christmas on the 23rd since they left today to go to my Grandparents for the holiday. So we are going to open 2 gifts tonight (for me so I feel my tradition is in place Laughing ) and then we're doing Christmas like my wife did it for once. So it will be interesting for me.

But this lead me to ponder- how do you celebrate the Holidays?

Use this thread to share your holiday experiences, and family traditions.

And with that; Merry Sithmas, Christmas and a Happy New Year!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: So this is Christmas....
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The thing I find most interesting is the difference between my wife and I- for me Christmas is a night thing, all my memories of it are that way. And for her it's always been a morning thing.

So it's interesting to learn how others partake of their festivities!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Christmas is a night thing for me to, but we're moving it till tomorrow for some reason. I don't quite get it but its the family's decision and its not a huge deal. As an agnostic I no longer attach spiritual meaning to Christmas (since Jesus's birthday isn't in the winter anyway) so its a special family time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

For me, even though I realize Jesus probably wasn't born in December, I still recognize it as the day we set aside for observing that event. I mean, really, we could never pin it down exactly, so it's silly to try and celebrate it on the right day. I'm pretty sure God understands the dilemma. Wink

The main reason I get aggravated about "Happy Holidays" is because the only holiday people are referring to is Christmas. Maybe New Years, too, if you want to stretch it. But it's not like anybody says "Happy Holidays" any other time of the year. On top of that, people have gone so far as to start calling them "Holiday trees". Really? I mean, come on. It is beyond obvious that we're talking about Christmas here. If you have a problem with the holiday, then don't celebrate it! But oh, wait. You like the idea of getting/giving gifts. You just don't like the part where Jesus is applied to the story. Hmmm...

So yeah, it aggravates me. If you don't celebrate Christmas, that's perfectly fine! But in such a case, there's no reason for you to say anything. Don't go changing the term to "Holidays" just because you don't like the term Christmas. Sad

Anyway...! Our family does a mish mash of sorts. My dad's side of the family doesn't celebrate Christmas because they believe it's become too commercialized (that's understandable), and my mom's side always took the traditional route of opening presents on Christmas morning and then having Christmas dinner around lunchtimeish. So we've put together a little family tradition of opening one present each on Christmas Eve, after which we watch It's a Wonderful Life and/or A Christmas Story. Next morning, whichever person wakes up first goes around dragging everyone else out of bed (we've all gotten old enough that nobody bounces out of bed at 6 in the morning anymore), and proceed to rip into the gifts, although in a civilized manner. We like the day to be dragged out as long as possible, since sometimes it can seem anti-climactic. So each person opens one gift at a time, instead of everybody tearing into them at once.

After this, we either go to my aunt's house or vice versa, and we eat Christmas dinner. Once dinner is over, we exchange gifts again (all the ones between my aunt's family and our own), and then the day is pretty much done.

I just started a new thing this year, though, where I stock up on a decent amount of presents (not expensive, just thoughtful), that I give out to the family one present at a time randomly between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Kind of like the 12 Days of Christmas. I got tired of the whole Christmas season climaxing on one day, and I decided to start dragging it out. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Praised be Sol Invictus! Razz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well I certainly celebrate Christmas because of Christ's incarnation, but there is a danger in getting upset when others celebrate it for different reasons. Firstly it can promote (duh-duh-duh) elitism and it can drive non-Christians away from Christianity due to our snobbiness. Also, it's interesting to note that St. Nicholas Day was around before Christmas. So, yeah, I celebrate Christmas and, although I dislike the whole Happy Holidays think, I think the best thing to do is just to suck it up.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote  

I've never had any problems with saying Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or Seasons Greetings. To me, they all work. I just don't like when people try to enforce one over all the others. When you eliminate choice, you constrict freedom. Regardless of your religious beliefs, it's ridiculous to try and remove Christ from Christmas, and Christmas from December if you live in the USA. I don't like these "agendas."

But hey, enough of that. Very Happy

I'm a morning person when it comes to Christmas. I like to open all the gifts on Christmas morning, no early ones for Christmas Eve. Usually we have my mom's side of the family do Christmas get together the weekend before Christmas, and lately we've had my step family do theirs on Christmas weekend, while my family does theirs on Christmas morning.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah I have to agree with everyone here. For me I'll say either. I say Happy Holidays as an acknowledgment of more traditions then I am personally aware.

But I have to laugh when people get bent about it.

Jesus's B-days some time near April 17th but the don't know what day for sure- but like Elyse I think choosing to make the 25th the day we stop and say Happy Birthday is great. I just have issue when people get upset that Christ is getting "moved over" for Santa and other things, when Christmas started as a Pagan holiday. The tree was always a part of it. But due to politics the church decided to phase out the pagans.

But then you also have the Kwanzaa (sp) people who feel they need their traditions seen in the same light as Christmas, Hanukkah, and the other traditions, but it was a holiday created by a American convict in prison Laughing I'm all for keeping traditions, but making them up on the fly and demanding the same level of global respect is a bit much (I kid I kid!)

I think for me the point of the Holiday Season is the joy and goodwill and peace we should be wishing on each other and less "the season should be like this"

But I'm always curious as to how everyone spend their time. As with my family it would appear many of you also rotate your traditions to a degree- as in where you go and on which day.

Ok next question:

Christmas Dinner- Turkey, or Honey Baked Ham?

We've started to do the ham more and get a small amount of Turkey these days.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For Christmas Dinner you need Turkey boyo!

And as to the whole religious thing, this isn't Christ's birthday but I agree with celebrating it. However, I have a Jewish friend who celebrates Hanukkah, a black friend who celebrates the made-up holiday of Kwanzaa (yes, it was just invented, its not real), and I have a few atheist and agnostic friends who just like the holidays for family so I respect all of their faiths.

Oh, and to those who get outta shape about 'happy holidays' it happens to refer to Christmas and New Years as we celebrate both in a week. It has expanded to just include whatever people are choosing to believe. And just so ya know, those who get mad about people not being respectful of Jesus's birth I have to say that Jesus was respectful to all. I have to say that those who get all angry and such about that kind of thing AREN'T respecting anyone, and this whole holiday, no matter its being a compilation of multiple other celebrations, is just about family. So judge not, lest ye be judged yourselves Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
For Christmas Dinner you need Turkey boyo!

Oh, and to those who get outta shape about 'happy holidays' it happens to refer to Christmas and New Years as we celebrate both in a week. It has expanded to just include whatever people are choosing to believe. And just so ya know, those who get mad about people not being respectful of Jesus's birth I have to say that Jesus was respectful to all. I have to say that those who get all angry and such about that kind of thing AREN'T respecting anyone, and this whole holiday, no matter its being a compilation of multiple other celebrations, is just about family. So judge not, lest ye be judged yourselves Wink

I start using Happy Holidays in November- probably due in part to the stores pushing Christmas out so far. Laughing But I consider Thanksgiving a part of my Holiday Season.

-
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It's not necessarily the "Happy Holidays" that bothers me, but when they take it beyond that. Like the "Holiday tree". I just can't get over that one. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Don't forget the "Winter Pageants" that have at schools now. Confused

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, I can relate to those. If you want to celebrate a different holiday all together, that is you're right, but please don't declaw our holiday. Sad

For Christmas I got Inception, Owl City's Maybe I'm Dreaming, aleather jacket, an illustated copy of Paradise Lost and lots of candy! Very Happy

How many Christmas dinners have you guys had? I had four... five if you count a Christmas breakfast. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep: You got an illustrated copy of Paradise Lost!!!???!!!??? Picture me green with envy, that is loads of cool Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's a beauty. A big, hardcover with illustrations by Gustave Dore. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2