The Best Thing About Star Wars Ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 105, 106, 107  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You're the man Reep Smile

Oh, and btw, this time my vote's for Ackbar! Maul was cool but he didn't have a lot going for him in the long run and Ackbar coined what is one of the 2 most memorable phrases from the franchise that AREN'T in mockery (i.e. "Wizard", "Yipee", any line from AotC loves scenes, etc...). Ackbar also was so pivotal in the SW universe whereas Maul was cool but merely a stepping stone for the PT. Ackbar all the way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In one corner, we have Admiral Ackbar. He's a walking fish, notable for the Internet meme, "It's a trap!" He also says other boring lines in Return of the Jedi. His claim to fame? Uttering (or having other characters utter) "It's a trap!" when he is nearby. He shows up in one movie, and isn't that film's saving grace.

In the other corner, we have Darth Maul. DARTH FREAKING MAUL. Also known as THE COOLEST SITH EVER OMG ARGHHHHHH. He shows up in one movie, and he IS that film's saving grace. Seriously, it's STILL the coolest lightsaber fight out of all the movies.

Darth Maul wins this one, hands down. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ackbar was a slave to Tarkin which gave him great insight into the enemy, he was a great military strategist, and critical to the success of the Rebel Alliance.

Darth Maul failed in his final mission and his death exposed the existence of the Sith after more than a thousand years.

Both have made lasting impressions on Star Wars fans over time. Sadly this star wars geek cannot look past the tattoos and the first on screen double bladed light saber to the great leader who opposed the empire and fought the good fight. Light sabers are just too cool and Maul's had two blades. TWO. BLADES.

Darth Maul.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

comanderbly wrote:
Both have made lasting impressions on Star Wars fans over time. Sadly this star wars geek cannot look past the tattoos and the first on screen double bladed light saber to the great leader who opposed the empire and fought the good fight. Light sabers are just too cool and Maul's had two blades. TWO. BLADES.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Smile

As much as I love Ackbar, I really can't get past how freaking awesome Darth Maul is, despite his death by Obi-Wan's hand. I mean, really...we couldn't have him kill Obi-Wan, now could we? So the poor guy was doomed to lose from the beginning.

Darth Maul takes my vote. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Hmmmm, the awesomeness of Maul vs. the legendary status of the "It's a trap!" line. Tough one. I didn't find that Ackbar contributed much to the SW universe after RotJ. Maul kind of made a bigger splash. Plus, he had a doubled bladed lightsaber. I can't ignore cool like that.

My vote: Darth Maul

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Let's see; Ackbar, who for years not only fought, and beat (with a little help from his friends) the Empire, but also handed the Vong their first definitive defeat in the NJO, which happened to also kill the warmaster.

vs.

Darth Maul who was killed by a padawan -- A PADAWAN.

Yeah, I'm going with Ackbar. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, when Episode I first came out, I thought Maul was really cool. I remember there being a picture in some magazine of Maul and Obi-Wan facing off on Tatooine, lightsabres ready and in mid-leap towards each other.
I also remember an A3 sized magazine with Maul's face on the front. Maul is very cool, but he didn't really catch my imagination.
Technically, neither did Ackbar. However, I like him for one bit (I apologise in advance, as this may turn into a rant) but for me he saved a ludicrous battle scene with a ludicrous manouevre. I talk of Daala's sacking of Dac. I did not like it. First, you don't leave one of your major shipyards protected only be a squadron of B-Wings, and second, you don't attack with just a couple of Stay Destroyers. When Ackbar came in and put a swift end to the madness I cheered. Literally.
And when he died, I was sad. Didn't cry. I removed my tear ducts years ago with a spoon.

Ackbar for me.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote  

@Cerrinea: but that padawan was Obi-Wan (Ms. Obi-Wan lover Razz ) so in a way, you should be voting for Maul because you like Obi-Wan. He made Obi-Wan look lethal and cool. Without Maul, Obi-Wan couldn't go around saying "Ha! I beat the first Sith Lord in a millennia. What did you do today?" How else could he have convinced the council to let him train Anakin?

Though Ackbar did have the better Robot Chicken skits...

Yet Maul still triumphs. Very Happy

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea and Darth Skuldren: Does this mean you're playing too?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote  

Sure. Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Status Update:

Old Master Ben, we're waiting on you man. Wink

Cerrinea, still waiting for confirmation.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Maul had an amazing lightsaber fight. He's had some cool EU moments.

But ACKBAR IS BACK. That fish is far too epic, and has become a pop culture icon.

Ackbar wins.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Maul wins 7-6.

Round I, Match III:

Couruscant

or

Leia Organa

There's no doubt that Leia was great in the movies, but she got on my nerves in the Bantam books. Now, in Del Rey, she's mostly good.

I'm going to go with Couruscant because it's consistently awesome. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Coruscant is an awesome place and is one of my favorite planets in the SW galaxy...but it's still just a planet. A location. One that's been Imperial Center and Vongformed. I'm going to have to go with Leia, hands down. While she suffered in the Bantam books, almost every character did, including Han and Luke. I don't think we can hold it against the characters as a whole. Plus, Leia sort of redefined the princess role.

Besides, she gave us the greatest insult in the history of insults: stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerfherder

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Meh. I'm not a big fan on cities, even on earth, but apart from that one outfit, I've not been very bowled over by Leia. Coruscant for me.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 3 of 107