Twenty-twelve
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twenty-twelve
 PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's time the infamous topic of 2012 got its own thread.

Personally I highly, highly doubt the world is going to end in 2012.

The reason being Christ's words, recorded by St. Matthew:
"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only" -Matthew 24:36 (NKJ).

If only God knows the date of the end of the world, then that cancels out the Mayans- and all of us for that matter.

Now that said, I still wish this 2012 issue had never arisen even, and especially, if it has no merit. Mass amounts of people are going to buy into this and they will do all kinds of crap on December 20th, thinking it's their last day to live. There will be a significant increase in robberies, suicides, defamtion, infidelity, murders and rapes. And all of it (almost certainly) will be for nothing. I'm not saying the fact that the world is going to end will excuse people's deeds on December 20th, 2012, but it will just make it that much worse. I am not looking forward to it. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Funny that you bring this up now. A story just came out that George Lucas believes the world will end in 2012, which brings into question why he would plan the 3D releases for AFTER the end of the world.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2011/01/18/16927446-wenn-story.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote  

Not exactly the most optimistic view Reep. Personally I give humans a little more credit in being able to act on their better good instincts. That being said I'm sure we'll have plenty of people doing weird things in preparation for the end of the world, it won't be the first time a group of people have become convinced the world is going to end.

@OMB: maybe he figures that if the world is gonna end then Alderaan getting blown up in spectacular 3D prior to that wouldn't look nearly as impressive in retrospect? On the other hand if the world DOESN'T end then it'll look really amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Personally, I think this idea is ridiculously silly. I mean, come on. The Mayan calendar ended, let's all panic! How about, the Mayan calendar ended, and...well, it just did. Good gosh, they had to stop somewhere! Most calendars, even computerized ones, generally stopped at 1999 in the 20th century, simply because it seemed like a good place to stop. You mean the world ended on December 31, 1999, and we're all just living a dream?!

Seriously...they couldn't keep carving out dates forever. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
. You mean the world ended on December 31, 1999, and we're all just living a dream?!

Inception/The Matrix anyone? Razz Seriously though all very good points Mara, particularly the whole Y2K stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Not exactly the most optimistic view Reep. Personally I give humans a little more credit in being able to act on their better good instincts. That being said I'm sure we'll have plenty of people doing weird things in preparation for the end of the world, it won't be the first time a group of people have become convinced the world is going to end.

Your faith in humanity is obviously better than mine. Wink

It's true that there were predictions that the world would end before, but this is the first time (in my memory at least) that people outside of small fanatical groups are actually buying into.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

*sniff* Yeah, the world's going to in 2012...and all the computers were going to crash in 2000.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote  

Reepicheep wrote:

It's true that there were predictions that the world would end before, but this is the first time (in my memory at least) that people outside of small fanatical groups are actually buying into.

You're probably right. But keep in mind that in previous cases the world population was also smaller and not as well connected. Its quite possible that proportionate to the population this is about equal or that earlier "the end is near!" followers would have been greater if they had had access to the communication technology we have today.

Its all still crazy regardless of time period but the size is more understandable when you consider how very different life is from 50 years ago much less 100 or more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Meh. This is an odd thing for me. There is one aspect that, as an astronomer, I am aware of that may or may not happen in 2012. You see, at some point our solar system will pass from the underside of our galactical plane to the upper side. This will cause our magnetic poles to switch. However, scientists have no idea how this will affect us. Sure, there's bound to be some earthquakes, but scientists have no idea what else will happen. Yes, there's potential for natural disasters on a scale that could wipe out humanity as we know it, but that's not the likeliest thing. It's more probable that there'll simply be minor tectonic movement.
End of the world? Sorry, but I'm skeptical. I don't think the world, or perhaps more accurately, humanity, will end, in 2012 because the Mayan calender ends there. Well, technically it doesn't 'end', but it's made up of five stages. The fifth stage will end, the part about it being the end of the world, as far as I can tell, is a modern attribute. However, I must admire the Mayans, for their calender was more accurate than our time-telling until recently.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote  

2012 will not be the end of the world, however, that is when the Mayan's gods will return...and they were aliens, so finally the truth will be known...THEY DO EXIST!

Let's hope they don't have blasters and itchy trigger fingers. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am going to wake up on December 22nd, 2012, go outside, take a breath of fresh, cool air, and I will say "Fail!"... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
I am going to wake up on December 22nd, 2012, go outside, take a breath of fresh, cool air, and I will say "Fail!"... Wink

What if you do that, but it's December 23, 2012?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I take very VERY little stock in end of the world prophecies. I mean religions would have us believe it's going to be any day now- and has been sticking to that "Fear/Hope/Threat" for centuries and the world's still here.....

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote  

What I want to know is if anyone took into consideration the fact that a pope once got rid of entire month during the calendar year? In that case, the 2012 event might not happen until January Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
What I want to know is if anyone took into consideration the fact that a pope once got rid of entire month during the calendar year? In that case, the 2012 event might not happen until January Laughing

It's taken into account. Wink The Mayan long count calendar has been pretty well tied in to the Gregorian calendar.

One shouldn't care about the ending of the Mayan calendar, it was just an arbitrary date based on their long count calendar, which went out of use in over a thousand years ago. When it was in use, the end date was far into their future and nothing to worry about, and it's quite possible that they thought that a new cycle would begin even without the world getting destroyed. (And even if it would have been, it would have been just a beginning for a new cycle where humanity would have been re-created.)

For their time, the Mayans were pretty good in astronomy, but not phenomenally so, and had no special knowledge that we wouldn't have now.

What comes to the magnetic poles changing, that is actually late considering the average rate of change in the past, but it's a process that takes thousands of years and would so unfold in a very slow motion from human point of view, making compasses unusable, hampering communications, increasing mutations and cancer rate etc, but it wouldn't bring civilization down, just complicate things and increase death rates somewhat.

Some scientists see what they think could be first hints of the change, but it's not something that anyone alive now should worry, it wouldn't end up influencing our lives much or the lives of anyone we will know during our lifetimes.

The real catastrophe, the real danger for our generations and those to come for perhaps a thousand years into the future, is climate change. If we won't succeed in stopping the rising temperatures and mitigating the consequences, then there's a "good" chance that in the future we won't have to worry about the change of magnetic poles, because we won't be around anymore. Just one extinct species among many others in Earth's history.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 5