Shadow Games by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

darthrevan1 wrote:
Michael Reaves is a good author. I like his previous SW work.

I haven't read Coruscant Nights, but Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was very good. I don't think I'll be getting this book though. I've probably said this before, but to me it just seems like a detective story thrown into the Star Wars Galaxy; it would do fine outside of the GFFA.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote  

Depends on what kind of Star War books you like. I'm a junkie, so I read them all. But this one was a detective/mystery type novel with a good dose of humor.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Depends on what kind of Star War books you like. I'm a junkie, so I read them all. But this one was a detective/mystery type novel with a good dose of humor.

Im going to try and pick it up soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
darthrevan1 wrote:

I haven't read Coruscant Nights, but Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was very good. I don't think I'll be getting this book though. I've probably said this before, but to me it just seems like a detective story thrown into the Star Wars Galaxy; it would do fine outside of the GFFA.

If you don't get Shadow Games, you are missing out on the absolute best SWEU book of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Ok, I've just realised why I don't think I'll be getting it. To me, just from reading the blurb, it seems like Tintin chucked into the GFFA. Replace Thomson and Thompson with Leebo, the main character with Tintin and that singer with the woman from the Castiafore Emerald. That's just me though.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

VileZero wrote:
DannikJerriko wrote:
darthrevan1 wrote:

If you don't get Shadow Games, you are missing out on the absolute best SWEU book of the year.

Thats a big claim Laughing . I thought Ascension was the best book of the year but I havent read Revan or Deceived yet. I think Reaves co wrote Death Star with Steve Perry but could be wrong. It certainly looks the most fun of the books though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm 16 chapters in. It passed my first test, which is that stuff actually happened in the first ten chapters.

My only criticism are some of the references. SW EU lately is too self-aware. Having the holostar and her friend (or was it Dash) talk about Nautolans sometimes being Force sensitive strikes me as something that would be discussed on a SW message board, not within the confines of the Star Wars galaxy proper. Should they even know what Force sensitivity is? Luke didn't know what the Force was, let alone the mechanics behind it with certain people being sensitive to it and some not.

Stuff like that takes me out of the story.

I suppose it's kind of weird that Dash Rendar, the Han Solo stand-in, buys into the Force at all, or his navigator's abilities with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

What's the writing style like? ( address everyone who's read it)

I ask because I'm not liking Reaves' writing style in the CN series - and I wasn't much of a fan with Darth Maul and the Medstar duology, come to think of it - yet I'd like to get this book one day, as it sounds like it's a decent enough book.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The prose is going to be similar to those books. The book itself is structured like a suspense thriller, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

OK. I've decided I'm going to read this book. My reason being my favourite Star Wars books are the ones where the characters are really low-key (I liked DM:SH because Lorn Pavan was just some dude in the underbelly of Coruscant) and story itself isn't of great Galactic importance. Which is why I don't really want to read the Big 3 post Ep VI stuff. Plus I actually quite liked the writing in DM:SH. I don't know when I'll read it, but it's not very high on my priority list ATM. Definitely after Plagueis and maybe after I've gone back to Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't finished the book yet but I find it odd that between Han and Dash, Dash seems to be the less mercenary. Dash came across as more extreme than Han in that manner in Shadows of the Empire. Perhaps something that happens accounts for that.

Additionally, Dash seems to know that Xizor had a grudge against the Empire and Vader for killing his (Xizor's) family, but IIRC according to SOTE Xizor hid his connection to the royal family so Vader wouldn't know he had a grudge against him.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Crash Override wrote:
The prose is going to be similar to those books. The book itself is structured like a suspense thriller, though.

That's a shame. The prose is one of the main things I dislike about this series. I had hoped that Maya Bohnhoff would balance it, but it seems this isn't the case.

Anyway, thanks, Crash, for answering my question.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I wonrt be able to get this now which is a shame as I really wanted to read it. Have to settle for Revan and Deceived.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Crash Override wrote:

That's a shame. The prose is one of the main things I dislike about this series. I had hoped that Maya Bohnhoff would balance it, but it seems this isn't the case.

Anyway, thanks, Crash, for answering my question.

Well she co-wrote Patterns of Force, so if that's noticeably different than the first two, that's what Shadow Games is going to be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought she had, but she wasn't accredited with it, so I supposed that I'd been wrong. I'll keep an eye out for differences.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 6