Plagiarism or Coincidence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plagiarism or Coincidence
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So...I was recently listening to Halo Evolutions on CD, when I happened upon a very interesting (and very long, for a short story) tale called The Mona Lisa. But you know what struck me as funny by the time the story ended? It was, in almost every way, exactly the same as Death Troopers, right down to the Prison Barge.

If you've ever played Halo, you know about The Flood, the infestation that takes over life forms and turns them into living, breathing, maneating/attacking zombies. Just like Death Troopers. Except that Halo and The Flood came out long before Death Troopers. So here are the most prominent similarities from The Mona Lisa.

1. They're on a prison barge.

2. The Flood almost exactly resembles the virus/infestation from Death Troopers.

3. They're running through the dark, fighting their way through the ship to escape.

4. Members of the initial party are being overcome and transformed.

5. The Flood are attempting to fly away from the crippled ship, just as are the zombies from Death Troopers.

6. Prisoner(s), doctor, and company must escape from The Flood, just as the prisoner(s), doctor, and company must escape from the zombies in Death Troopers.

7. There are members of the "sane" party who would kill others to escape the wrath of the infected.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. While there are a few aspects of each story that do not resemble the other, they are strikingly similar. With the one difference being that The Mona Lisa was much scarier/more intense than Death Troopers.

Anyway, what do you guys think? They were both released at almost the same time, just so you know. Although the Flood aspect was around much longer than Death Troopers. So I think Halo wins in who came first. Smile

Edit: I'm not accusing anyone of copying, just to clarify. I just think it's interesting that they so closely mirror one another.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Re: Plagiarism or Coincidence
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That IS interesting! I mean on one hand almost any Zombie story set in this location IMO would run a similar course- having not read Mona Lisa I'm not privy to hoe close the two are.

I thought they could have done a LOT more with Death Troopers personally. I hope Red Harvest delivers.

But in many ways they could rehash the zombie-virus scenario, I mean it's just a bio tech, and think of how many times we've seen clone story arcs. They go way way back. And (speculating here) if Krayt turns out to be a clone as well we're talking darn near a clone story at all ends of the scale! Laughing

I could see the all consuming virus angle in SW in a multitude of ways.

But to have a similar story be released at same time.... it reminds me of Mall cop and Serve and protect. They both came out and had very similar themes.

I guess it really comes down to how close are they. And again not having ready the Halo one I'm at a loss.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If it weren't for the fact that the Halo short story was probably written about the same time as Death Troopers, well... I'd still say that you can only make a zombie story in space so many ways.

So, no coincidence. Razz

Unless... time travel? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote  

The fact that both feature a prison ship happening across an infected ship, and both feature a doctor in the surviving party is rather coincidental indeed. Interesting find Mara.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mara's comment has made me think in The Sword of Truth series. Has anyone read this series? You know, there is a guy, young and idealistic, who lives in a place with no magic at all. Then he meets a girl in white who is a VIP and is looking for an old wizard. This wizard should help her to save her people from a very evil wizard-known as Dark Lord-who serves the absolute Evil.

The good guy knows the good, old wizard, but he doesn't know the wizard was a wizard. Every people in his place thinks the wizard is just "an old, crazy man". Then, the wizard gives the good guy a sword and, later, the good guy discovers he has the potential to be a great wizard, too.

Sounds familiar to you? I'm sure you can guess who the good guy's father was.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nedara wrote:
Mara's comment has made me think in The Sword of Truth series. Has anyone read this series? You know, there is a guy, young and idealistic, who lives in a place with no magic at all. Then he meets a girl in white who is a VIP and is looking for an old wizard. This wizard should help her to save her people from a very evil wizard-known as Dark Lord-who serves the absolute Evil.

The good guy knows the good, old wizard, but he doesn't know the wizard was a wizard. Every people in his place thinks the wizard is just "an old, crazy man". Then, the wizard gives the good guy a sword and, later, the good guy discovers he has the potential to be a great wizard, too.

Sounds familiar to you? I'm sure you can guess who the good guy's father was.

Yes. Wink

Well, good that all fantasy authors don't go on just filling their buckets on Tolkien's well of ideas and that Terry Goodkind went as far as the same well where Lucas filled his bucket. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Like I always say: Many fantasy authors really just wish they could write in Tolkien's world, instead of having to make their own. I'm sure some science-fantasy writers feel the same way about Star Wars.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Words of wisdom.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I still haven't read Death Troopers. At some point I will get around to it.

don't call that "plagarism" call it "extremely inspired" Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
I'd still say that you can only make a zombie story in space so many ways.

I haven't read Death Troopers yet and I'm in no hurry either.
Mainly because of the quote stated above. All zombie stories are kind off similar and mostly unoriginal, I don't expect this book to be any different in that.
That's why I'd say that the similarities between both books is so big. There [u]are
Old Master Ben wrote:
e zombie story Laughing

[quote="Old Master Ben"]Like I always say: Many fantasy authors really just wish they could write in Tolkien's world, instead of having to make their own. I'm sure some science-fantasy writers feel the same way about Star Wars.

I think you are absolutely right about that.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

You know you're an EU addict when you start drawing parallels between the EU and other stuff. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1