The Old Republic: Revan by Drew Karpyshyn Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
I've always though it matters more "WHY" you use the power and what you use it "FOR" rather than WHICH power you use.

For example, if you use force lightening to re-power a dead generator in a crashing spaceship to save the crew, is it really a dark side power?

Or if you use it to disable an assassin droid?

Compare to using it to execute a taxi-driver.

Just food for thought.

Basically I agree with you but that can also be a slippery slope. Because people are so good at rationalizing whatever they want to do. I'm sure Anakin convinced himself that becoming a Sith in order to save Padme was a really good thing to do. Along with overthrowing Palpatine and ruling the galaxy the way he and Padme wanted it to be. When she backed out on that plan we all know how that turned out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Action and intent aren't an either/or proposition.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Basically I agree with you but that can also be a slippery slope. Because people are so good at rationalizing whatever they want to do. I'm sure Anakin convinced himself that becoming a Sith in order to save Padme was a really good thing to do. Along with overthrowing Palpatine and ruling the galaxy the way he and Padme wanted it to be. When she backed out on that plan we all know how that turned out.

Admittedly that's a flaw, but assuming a person remains sane in their reasoning, it works.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The implication is either that the frame of mind required to use the dark side or the usage of the dark side itself results in a frame of mind which results in its continued usage in scenarios in which it's less excusable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like the Revan book alot. It took me a few days to read and enjoyed evry part of it. Butthe only flaw I have with it is that it seemed a bit to short, I just wished it was at least 100 pages longer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I know what you mean. But I think that stems from the fact that it's Revan! I will always want more of Revan - but I think that the length was appropriate. Lean, but with some meat on it. Any more and it could have been detrimental to the story.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth_Henning wrote:
I've always though it matters more "WHY" you use the power and what you use it "FOR" rather than WHICH power you use.

For example, if you use force lightening to re-power a dead generator in a crashing spaceship to save the crew, is it really a dark side power?

By that logic there is no such thing as a dark side power. Yet we know that there are such things as dark side powers.

The dark side is a part of the Force, not a categorization system which segregates behavior into "good" and "bad". You have to use that part of the Force to produce Sith lightning. Even if used for a "good" purpose it is still use of the dark side and thus incrementally corruptive.

Life Is The Path wrote:
True, it is just an application of telekinesis, but it is applied in an aggressive, harmful manner to another being. I'd have thought that would place it in the Dark Side column, even if tapping into the Dark Side isn't required. It could be compared to using a nail gun (neutral tool) against someone's hand (not so neutral application).

We're essentially talking about two different concepts of "darksidedness" here.

One is tapping into the dark side to produce a dark side-specific Force power.

The other is being a bad person, which in a generalized context need not have anything to do with the Force, but in a Force use context is aligned with the likelihood of having "fallen".

IllogicalRogue2 wrote:
Debunked by the Jedi- the theory is still sound- just not to the Jedi's POV.

That's why I cited an OOU source in addition to an IU one. It is arguable that the theory has been debunked canonically, because it seems to be contradicted by OOU material about the Force which has appeared in sources such as the Annotated Screenplays.

Last edited by Arawn_Fenn on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Arawn_Fenn wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

By that logic there is no such thing as a dark side power. Yet we know that there are such things as dark side powers.

The dark side is a part of the Force, not a categorization system which segregates behavior into "good" and "bad". You have to use that part of the Force to produce Sith lightning. Even if used for a "good" purpose it is still use of the dark side and thus incrementally corruptive.

IllogicalRogue2 wrote:
Debunked by the Jedi- the theory is still sound- just not to the Jedi's POV.

That's why I mentioned an OOU source in addition to an IU one. The theory has been debunked canonically, because it is contradicted by OOU material about the Force which has appeared in sources such as the Annotated Screenplays.

See but even powers like Lightning have a light side equivalent. Luke himself has used green lightning, the light-side version of it. Its all about how its used.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
See but even powers like Lightning have a light side equivalent. Luke himself has used green lightning, the light-side version of it. Its all about how its used.

That's why I specifically called it "Sith lightning". Green lightning does not exist in the films, because Lucas sees lightning as a Sith-exclusive power ( AOTC commentary ). Green lightning is promoted by EU authors who believe that every dark side power must have a light side equivalent. However, even assuming that the green lightning power exists, it is still a different power from Sith lightning and is color-coded as such. Thus, it's not all about how Sith lightning is used. No matter how the Sith version is used, one must be intentionally using the dark side to create it in the first place.

Cerrinea wrote:
I'm sure Anakin convinced himself that becoming a Sith in order to save Padme was a really good thing to do. Along with overthrowing Palpatine and ruling the galaxy the way he and Padme wanted it to be.

This is a message of ROTS and the OT. It is similar to what is said in LOTR about the Ring.
"It will corrupt and destroy anyone who wears it."

Last edited by Arawn_Fenn on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

There is also a light side power known as Droid disable, it looks alot like lightning but it isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote  

Drew Karpyshyn did a Revan interview and I thought this question was pretty interesting...

Quote:
11. Who is your favorite writer other than yourself, star wars or otherwise?

I have a lot of authors that I enjoy: Stephen King, Guy Gavriel Kay, Neil Gaiman, George R. R. Martin… it’s really hard to pick just one. I really enjoy Timothy Zahn’s Star Wars works, and I loved Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Nice! Any insights on where Drew is going with Revan?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't know that there's anywhere left to go with Revan. Isn't his fate determined by TOR content at this point?

One of the interview questions makes the interviewer seem a bit uninformed:
interview wrote:
You didn’t write the story for KoToR II yet you chose to include the Exile in the “Revan” novel. Many people felt the story in Kotor II wasn’t nearly as strong, any specific reason you brought him along for the ride?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Got my delivery from Amazon today. This and deceived. Starting it now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Up to chapter 5 and am enjoying it. I love the Lord Scourge character. Will definately read the book about him. Some great early action sequences and recognise some of the characters already. Revan is fast shaping up as one of my fav SW novels ever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 13 of 17