Log in to check your private messages
The Old Republic: Revan by Drew Karpyshyn Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

If anyone's interested, here's a link to an older Drew Karpyshyn interview on Roqoo Depot. There's some interesting info in it.

http://roqoodepot.com/interviews/drew-karpyshyn-interview/
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3736
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Ah, not just a name drop. He was there in Holocron form, remember, Skuldren!

And thanks, Cerrinea. You know, I read something he said, in that interview, and found it funny:

Quote:
If you were to compare writing books for Star Wars to writing books for Mass Effect, what aspects did you like better about each franchise?

DK: For Star Wars I really enjoy the fantasy aspects of it: the lightsaber battles and the mystical power of the Force, along with the mythic depiction of good and evil. For Mass Effect, I like the technical details of the universe as well as the gray morality; I can create characters that arenít all good or all evil.


And yet there were more than a few grey characters in Deceived!

And another thing, about the KOTOR game:

Quote:
Whoís your favorite Kotor character?

DK: Dead-eye Duncan, the first duelist you fight in the Taris arena. I actually wrote a subplot where he survived Malakís attack on Taris and escaped the world. Later you find out he is impersonating your character by posing as the famous duelist called the Mysterious Stranger. I thought it was quite funny, but unfortunately the plot didnít end up making it into the final game because of time pressure.


Is he sure about that? I'm pretty sure I remember running into Dead-Eye Duncan, and had that whole scene play out. In fact, I remembered it so well that I was surprised (thus necessitating the need to ask you on here) when he said that it was cut.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Quote:
Whoís your favorite Kotor character?

DK: Dead-eye Duncan, the first duelist you fight in the Taris arena. I actually wrote a subplot where he survived Malakís attack on Taris and escaped the world. Later you find out he is impersonating your character by posing as the famous duelist called the Mysterious Stranger. I thought it was quite funny, but unfortunately the plot didnít end up making it into the final game because of time pressure.


Quote:
Is he sure about that? I'm pretty sure I remember running into Dead-Eye Duncan, and had that whole scene play out. In fact, I remembered it so well that I was surprised (thus necessitating the need to ask you on here) when he said that it was cut.


I don't game so I can't answer that question for you. Maybe Skuldren can answer it.

Also, I transferred some of these interviews over from an older, now defunct site. When I did, I did not put in the original date (my bad). All I can tell you is the interview was some time after 2008. Hope that helps.
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth Skuldren
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 6240
Location: Missouri

It's been a long time since I played KOTOR. It sounds familiar, but I can't say for sure if the memory is geniune or fabricated.
_________________

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  grayJeedai08
Knight
Knight

Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 117
Location: Ossus

Dead Eye Duncan inpersonating Revan?! LOL!


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

 PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Ruhk Orikan
Knight
Knight

Joined: 30 Apr 2011
Posts: 222

I am very excited about this. I have not played the games, but I realize that Darth Revan turned back to the lightside. Now, forgive my density here but: I am wondering if this novel will be dealing with Darth Revan as a Sith Lord, or after his redemption? Possibly both?


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

Darth_Severity wrote:
I am very excited about this. I have not played the games, but I realize that Darth Revan turned back to the lightside. Now, forgive my density here but: I am wondering if this novel will be dealing with Darth Revan as a Sith Lord, or after his redemption? Possibly both?


Based on what we know, it seems to start AFTER the ending of the first game and during the timeframe between KOTOR and KOTOR II, then stretching past the events of KOTOR II.

So no, we won't see any of Darth Revan. But we may get it in the form of flashbacks or Revan remembering earlier events. And given his past, there's always the chance he could slip back into some of his more evil ways. After all, he went to stop the Sith after KOTOR and we all know he failed...


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote  
Message
  BobaFett97
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 23 Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Location: Mandalore

Revan + Drew = Dynamite reading and just another excellent novel to get excited about. Speaking of any news on a possible KOTOR III?
_________________
Oya Manda...


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

BobaFett97 wrote:
Revan + Drew = Dynamite reading and just another excellent novel to get excited about. Speaking of any news on a possible KOTOR III?


Yes, it's called The Old Republic.

I get that those who don't want to play an MMORPG are bummed, but that's the way it is. BioWare has already said that TOR is basically KOTOR 3 through 9.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote  
Message
  BobaFett97
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 23 Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Location: Mandalore

Thanks Vile, I was hoping the Old Republic was just that. For some reason I just cannot get into online gaming I really prefer the consoles. Just imagine how cool a new KOTOR would look on the next gen consoles with hundreds of hours of gaming.
_________________
Oya Manda...


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:14 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Lord Ree'dius
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Location: The Unknown Regions

BobaFett97 wrote:
Thanks Vile, I was hoping the Old Republic was just that. For some reason I just cannot get into online gaming I really prefer the consoles. Just imagine how cool a new KOTOR would look on the next gen consoles with hundreds of hours of gaming.


I have to agree with you on that BobaFett97. I would have rather seen a KOTOR III than the MMO TOR.
And I still havent decided to join either. But i'll at least read the novels, though.
_________________
"Strong you are with the dark side, young one. But not that strong.
Still much to learn, you have. Surrender, you should."

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3736
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

VileZero wrote:
Darth_Severity wrote:
I am very excited about this. I have not played the games, but I realize that Darth Revan turned back to the lightside. Now, forgive my density here but: I am wondering if this novel will be dealing with Darth Revan as a Sith Lord, or after his redemption? Possibly both?


Based on what we know, it seems to start AFTER the ending of the first game and during the timeframe between KOTOR and KOTOR II, then stretching past the events of KOTOR II.

So no, we won't see any of Darth Revan. But we may get it in the form of flashbacks or Revan remembering earlier events. And given his past, there's always the chance he could slip back into some of his more evil ways. After all, he went to stop the Sith after KOTOR and we all know he failed...


Based on what I saw in the Revan Trailer on the TOR website and his possible inclusion in TCW, I think it's a possibility that Revan might have gone back to the Dark Side.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Arawn_Fenn
Knight
Knight

Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 217
Location: Ekkaia

Lucas is said to have killed his inclusion in TCW, though, so that could have been just an error.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Lord Ree'dius
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Location: The Unknown Regions

And even that almost inclusion in TCW could have referenced at Revans' Sith past from before he turned to the Light Side of the Force.
_________________
"Strong you are with the dark side, young one. But not that strong.
Still much to learn, you have. Surrender, you should."

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Arawn_Fenn
Knight
Knight

Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 217
Location: Ekkaia

Possibly - if it was something like a Darth Revan holocron or an "echo" ( STVII style ) of Darth Revan, if that could be made to work. Or just Mortis displaying events from the past for some reason. I'm not sure how long Mortis is supposed to have been around. Bane's Revan holocron crumbled when he was done with it, which makes me wonder if it's possible that any other Revan holocrons could have survived more or less intact until the film era.


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 17
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield