The Continuity Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Aww, man. I think we all knew this was coming, but the "officalness" still hurts.

I knew that my fandom was in critical condition, but this feels like the official goodbye. Let's face it: a huge reason why I was a Star Wars fan was because of the EU. Had there not been an EU, I'm sure I would still love the movies, but so much of my Star Wars memories revolve around the EU. My image of what Star Wars is (or was) is deeply intertwined with the EU.

So am I still a fan? I can't say I am, at least not an active one. I still love the OT, much of the EU, and heck I could even throw the PT in the mix if I'm feeling relaxed, but I've lost interest in the future of Star Wars.

THIS. Much more articulate than I could be but the same sentiment.

Jedi Joe wrote:
I am very supportive of the move, though. There was no way they could have fit the ST into the existing EU without providing a large backstory.

As much as this is the common argument, that is only true if you include the post NJO.

If they had maintained until the end of TUF and ignored what people commonly call the "Denningverse" Its actually a very clean cut, that would have kept pretty much every EU fan happy.

The only issue that would have been hard to explain and would have to have been on screen is Chewie's absence/death.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You seem awfully pessimistic about the odds of LU stuff being elevated. Seems to me they wouldn't have made such a point of its status as inspiration if it was going to be rare and exceptional. TCW is a pretty good precedent, and the amount of finished worldbuilding available to a creator wishing to save time and effort cannot be underestimated.

Not to mention how its the same dang people in the driver's seat. It'd probably feel unnatural to them to NOT involve the old EU at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually, Henning, the word is that Hearne's "Heir to the Jedi" is the Luke "Empire and Rebellion" novel, now separated from the other two and part of the new canon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote  

Boy, I didn't realize everyone was so crestfallen with the new announcements. I was actually really excited. I've been waiting to hear what new books we'll be getting, afraid that Disney was going to put a freeze on everything until Episode VII's release, and now we're getting three new books, two of them hitting this year. On top of that, is Luceno doing a Tarkin novel, Kemp doing a Sith novel, and John Jackson Miller doing a tie-in to Star Wars Rebels.

For me, it was like Christmas. I was overjoyed. Hell, I'm happier about the new book announcements than I was about Episode VII being made.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
For me, it was like Christmas. I was overjoyed. Hell, I'm happier about the new book announcements than I was about Episode VII being made.

Yes! This.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does anyone else think of The One Sith whenever they encounter the phrase One Canon?

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

You Are Mainstream Now
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Congrats folks - this very thread has gone mainstream. The Hollywood Reporter decided that these forums were a good source for opinion on the EU news, so they linked to us and even quoted a few of you.

"Perhaps understandably, the response seemed most negative at the EU Cantina message board, a site dedicated to the Expanded Universe as it currently stands. “I think we all knew this was coming, but the ‘officialness’ still hurts,” wrote one poster. “I knew that my fandom was in critical condition, but this feels like the official goodbye. Let's face it: a huge reason why I was a Star Wars fan was because of the EU. Had there not been an EU, I'm sure I would still love the movies, but so much of my Star Wars memories revolve around the EU.” Another simply wrote “R.I.P. Star Wars EU.""

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-star-wars-expanded-universe-699082

Cool. Interesting that we are understandably the most negative...

I'm actually excited about the new material and new canon and saw this reboot coming for a looooooooong time. Sad to lose certain things, especially things that I think we could have kept without hurting the future movies (Kenobi), but oh well. I enjoyed the stories and will still read certain books again and again, regardless of their canon status. A book was never important to me because it was a part of canon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In my view, I don't think it was possible to continue building stories and have the EU be maintained perfectly. Eventually, the only way that can become feasible is if you stop making PT and OT-era stories, and those are among the most marketable books they can write (you can make all the Legacy-era books you want, but those appeal mostly to fans like us; a book set in the months after ANH or during the Clone Wars or before TPM has a broader audience). So, in my view, the death of full EU continuity was inevitable, and so it's better to do a clean cut and name something Legends then to let it slowly die via oversaturation of stories (how many books, comics, kids stories, etc. take place within 1 year of the Battle of Yavin? Imagine how many there would be in 20 years).

And yay, new stories, and even new stories on film! WOO!!!!!!!!

All I'm waiting for is the news of Marvel Star Wars books in 2015. I was hoping for something at C2E2, but so far nothing I think.

I also wanted to address Henning's suggestion to cut at the NJO. I have difficulty with this suggestion for two big reasons:

1- People who haven't read the NJO may find a lot of it easy to swallow (Mara Jade, the Skywalker and Solo kids, Chewie's death, etc.) But there's a lot that pretty insane. If you've never heard of the Yuuzhan Vong, and see Coruscant post-Vongforming, or see a delegation of Vong from Zonama Sekot, that'll be a tough pill to swallow. I think many people will have a "wtf?" moment.

2- I think that line is REALLY arbitrary, and based purely on popularity. A lot of people liking the NJO, but fewer people liking the Dark Nest Trilogy, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, and Legacy is both a) not a great way to draw a line, and b) not objectively demonstrable (even book sales don't tell the whole story). Dark Nest wasn't my favourite, but the other two series were fun, and Legacy was AMAZING. I know you need to draw a line somewhere, but basing it on popularity is strange, in my view.

In my opinion, better to do a clean cut after Episode VI. Keep as much pre-ROTJ stuff as you can (but giving freedom to contradict the oldest stuff, like the Marvel and newstrip comics, or the Han Solo/Lando Calrissian adventures, or the Missions kids books, just to declutter 0 ABY), but abandon the post-ROTJ EU. Let it continue having new books if you want, even ones consistent with that era, but labeled Legends.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

As we saw with Ryloth's rotation, having stories set in a distant era of the timeline is not enough to insure unmolested continuity. That one reverberated throughout the timeline no problem, as can the violation of any stable piece of SW worldbuilding. In the end, the only thing that can preserve canon is a willingness to extensively research and conform to what has come before, no matter the medium, practical constraints, ego, or money involved.

Ludicrously improbable, in other words.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

My question about the new Luke book...

We know that the authors for the Rebellion and Empire books were chosen because of their lack of knowledge of the EU. We also know about the Story Group and that the Story Group was consulted for at least 3 out of the 4 newly announced books. I also heard part of an interview with Kevin Hearne about the Luke book and he did NOT mention anything about talking to the Story Group (SG). So, knowing that his book was in the works before the big announcement, and that it "used" to be part of the Rebellion and Empire books, DID Hearne talk to the SG about what Luke (and/or any other character in that book) do/think/say/etc. matching what plans the SG have for those characters going forward? Or will everything that happens in that book have absolutely no impact on any part of the story beyond that one book? If it is the later, no thanks, I'll pass. I want stories that impact the whole overarching story.

Anyone know? Perhaps someone will need to pose that question to the author, or someone on the SG.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wait. I was quoted by the Hollywood Reporter? Awesome! Very Happy

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

They had my quote in that article as well. Not sure how I feel about that at this moment.

So, here is the take away from the big announcement:

Creative people can not work within any restraints. Rolling Eyes

It doesn't matter if the rest of the world has to operate within established parameters, creative people just can't. So we must remove all contraints so that they are free to be as creative as possible. Again Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I suppose I can see why this was inevitable. Long before the Disney aquisition and even before the continuity troubles of TCW, I found myself wondering how long this could go on. Will there still be books coming out when I'm retired?

I understand that the further the books go along the timeline without accompanying films, they get harder and harder to sell etc etc.

Some things you can assent to mentally, but it still doesn't mean you like them one bit. I'm not that angry at Lucasfilm right now (other than vague anger/annoyance at the whole money-making, business world in general), but I'm still really sad at the bitter reality that every good thing must come to an end.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Skywalker2B wrote:
My question about the new Luke book...

We know that the authors for the Rebellion and Empire books were chosen because of their lack of knowledge of the EU. We also know about the Story Group and that the Story Group was consulted for at least 3 out of the 4 newly announced books. I also heard part of an interview with Kevin Hearne about the Luke book and he did NOT mention anything about talking to the Story Group (SG). So, knowing that his book was in the works before the big announcement, and that it "used" to be part of the Rebellion and Empire books, DID Hearne talk to the SG about what Luke (and/or any other character in that book) do/think/say/etc. matching what plans the SG have for those characters going forward? Or will everything that happens in that book have absolutely no impact on any part of the story beyond that one book? If it is the later, no thanks, I'll pass. I want stories that impact the whole overarching story.

Anyone know? Perhaps someone will need to pose that question to the author, or someone on the SG.

https://twitter.com/jenheddle/status/459803618275635200

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thanks, Darth. Still, I think I'll wait and see what the spoilers are for this book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 72 of 74