Help make the Star Wars Expanded Universe an American treasu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Help make the Star Wars Expanded Universe an American treasu
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

For those of you who want change please help us now in our time of need, sign this petition to get the Star Wars Expanded Universe made a national American treasure so greedy corporations cant change it or throw out whatever they want so as to make a profit off of it
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/preserve-and-protect-expanded-universe-star-wars-series-declaring-it-national-treasure/90nlQpnH

I am not trying to spam nor am I promoting this for my own gain this is for all fans of the Expanded Universe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No, thank you. All the best though.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote  

Hey, does this mean it can be in National Treasure 3? Nicolas Cage could save the EU!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

You're not very well spoken, you sound like you're about 8 years old, and this is the most ridiculous petition I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AceAzzameen wrote:
You're not very well spoken, you sound like you're about 8 years old, and this is the most ridiculous petition I've ever seen.

Name-calling isn't recommended... This isn't TFN, we have standards here! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote  

I'll admit, someone did do that petition to build a Death Star which was pretty funny, but seriously, the government is not going to make the SWEU a national treasure. That's just unreasonable. There are much better ways to devote your time and efforts.

Since everyone is sort of on the same bandwagon though, clinging to the EU, perhaps it's worth mentioning that tomorrow (August 2nd) is "Give Us Legends" Day. There's a Facebook page for it. The idea is for everyone to message the Del Rey Star Wars Books account on Twitter and Facebook to let them know we want to see the Leginds stories continue. They're also advocating messages to the official Star Wars accounts and such. Hashtag for it is #giveuslegends

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Name-calling isn't recommended... This isn't TFN, we have standards here!

*snickers*

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote  

I'll admit, someone did do that petition to build a Death Star which was pretty funny, but seriously, the government is not going to make the SWEU a national treasure. That's just unreasonable. There are much better ways to devote your time and efforts.

Since everyone is sort of on the same bandwagon though, clinging to the EU, perhaps it's worth mentioning that tomorrow (August 2nd) is "Give Us Legends" Day. There's a Facebook page for it. The idea is for everyone to message the Del Rey Star Wars Books account on Twitter and Facebook to let them know we want to see the Leginds stories continue. They're also advocating messages to the official Star Wars accounts and such. Hashtag for it is #giveuslegends

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Hey, does this mean it can be in National Treasure 3? Nicolas Cage could save the EU!

LOL!! Awesome

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
AceAzzameen wrote:

Name-calling isn't recommended... This isn't TFN, we have standards here! Wink

And it's not Facebook, or I'd hit the Like button on that post of yours. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I understand that people are sad to see the EU go, but I think that petitioning the US government is a step too far. It's extremely unlikely it will get enough signatures, and the government isn't going to do anything. Protest as much as you want, boycott Disney and Star Wars products, but please, don't bother the government - they have much more important things to worry about.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote  

I certainly love SW but honestly I can't get behind this. I don't really see how the EU qualifies as emblematic of our national cultural heritage or identity. Maybe if it was for a specific book or series the claim would have merit but not the EU in it's entirety.

You're also basically making a petition that has a category so broad it not only is realistically unfeasible to enforce, it's also not something the government is likely to do because it would set a significant, negative, precedent. Such broad sweeping declarations actually hurt the protection of current and future national treasures by giving the appearance that everything is a national treasure and therefore nothing is. (To use the EU as an example if everything in the EU is special by extension nothing in the EU is special because no individual work of the EU is more valuable than another; if they're all equally valuable then no significant cultural loss will occur if an individual work is lost).

This is why you don't have a single broad sweeping declaration to preserve everything related to say the American Revolution and instead have things nominated for protection on an individual basis. Yes you could in theory file an application for each individual thing to eventually protect everything related to a single subject but it's highly unlikely because you'd have to justify why each thing is valuable individually and it's more probable that the justification in some applications would be weaker than others leading some applications to be rejected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1