Log in to check your private messages
Our Rebellion against Disney
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Our Rebellion against Disney
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  TK421
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 26 Jul 2014
Posts: 3

for those of you that do not like Disneys handling of our Beloved EU fear not there are others like you and we are forming a Rebellion, granted we are small in number now but with your help we can grow larger and eventually save the EU, So what do you say will join use ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/533341320109211/


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Reepicheep
Master
Master

Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 6847
Location: Sailing into the unknown

Oh, man. I would so join, but unfortunately I'm not on Facebook. I'm with you in spirit.
_________________

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 525
Location: Canada

Joined.


Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. (Based on polls at TFN, its about 50/50 actually)

Not that it will actually do anything to change Disney's mind sadly, but at least some of us will remember.
_________________
Darth Skuldren wrote:
Yes, we're still at the mercy of Darth_Henning


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1667
Location: Ontario, Canada

A shame, given the incredibly awesome announcements made at SDCC, including a great new novel and three comics.

Good luck though.
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote  
Message
  TK421
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 26 Jul 2014
Posts: 3

do you not know they are replacing our EU with there new so called Cannon


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1667
Location: Ontario, Canada

TK421 wrote:
do you not know they are replacing our EU with there new so called Cannon


I certainly hope not, given that cannons go BOOM.

Disney has set the old EU continuity aside and making a new canon EU. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion. Their new books and comics look interesting. If they looked terrible, then maybe I would be in agreement, but I fully intend to pick up at least four of the five new novels, and probably all three of the newly-announced comic series.

There were rebellions against Lucasfilm when they made The Clone Wars, because its continuity didn't line up with the comics and books we loved. The end result was an amazing TV show, and retroactively the vast majority of that continuity still worked. There was another much smaller one when the newer "Star Wars" comic series by Brian Wood threatened to undermine the post-Episode IV EU. Personally, I didn't care for those books, but I'm told they were enjoyable.

The most important part though is this: your Star Wars books and comics and games remain a thing. They remain real and interconnected and fully enjoyable to consume. Disney did not break into your house to steal your books. These new books and new movies will not agree with that material, but that's ok. Episode II didn't agree AT ALL with the Thrawn Trilogy (like, AT ALL). Lucas came out and said he didn't think the EU "happened" many many years ago, specifically citing things like Mara Jade and the Dark Empire books as being inconsistent with his vision. We didn't like it, but the books continued coming out, and we liked those.

So enjoy your old EU. Read it, love it, try and collect it all if you wish. My plan is to continue loving those, while also reading new stuff, particularly given the excellent creative teams.
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  YodaBauer2442
Master
Master

Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 552
Location: Sofa

Word.
_________________
"To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits. " Dr. Walter Bishop

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth_Henning
Master
Master

Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 525
Location: Canada

Taral-DLOS wrote:

Disney has set the old EU continuity aside and making a new canon EU. This is not a bad thing, in my opinion.


That is a matter of opinion though. And whatever the opinion may be, it wasn't necessary. And that's a rather big negative in my mind.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Their new books and comics look interesting. If they looked terrible, then maybe I would be in agreement, but I fully intend to pick up at least four of the five new novels, and probably all three of the newly-announced comic series.


The new books aren't really fair to Judge. Tarkin and Heir were almost certainly planned before the sale.

The Vader buddy cop is completely out of character, The Rebels tie-in looks ok (though didn't require the reboot of the EU), and Ventress/Vos we know nothing about.

As for the comics:

Post-ANH comic #3823 is not interesting at all.
Vader comic - how does VADER lose prestige for TARKIN's pet project failing? Makes no sense
Leia - ok, this is at least unique. But is a mini-series.

So some good, some better.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
The most important part though is this: your Star Wars books and comics and games remain a thing. They remain real and interconnected and fully enjoyable to consume. Disney did not break into your house to steal your books. These new books and new movies will not agree with that material, but that's ok.


They remain in existance, and of course they didn't steal them. That's a pure straw-man argument.

They are no longer relevant. And that is a big change. And one that was not necessary to do in the EU's entirety. You could argue Post-ROTJ, post-Bantum or post-NJO, but there is not a single argument that makes any sense to wipe the entire EU as they did.
_________________
Darth Skuldren wrote:
Yes, we're still at the mercy of Darth_Henning


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  YodaBauer2442
Master
Master

Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 552
Location: Sofa

Tarkin and Heir were almost certainly planned before the sale.

I'm not sure. I think the sale was planned a bit before we ever new about it. I'd wager even back with Kathleen Kennedy took over Lucas was sending out feelers about selling. I suppose it's possible but I'm not sure they'd have been planned beyond "Oh, hey a book about Tarkin would be cool some day."

They are no longer relevant. And that is a big change.

Relevant to what though? They're all relevant to each other and the first 6 films same as they always were. They're still relevant to your life and your likes and dislikes. This idea of canon or non-canon is a false dichotomy. Fandoms for decades have had multiple canons. It doesn't make one or another wrong, it makes one active and the others not so.

but there is not a single argument that makes any sense to wipe the entire EU as they did.

If it were just books and comics I'd agree to an extant. "Because a clean slate would be interesting" is always an argument even if it isn't a strong one. But in this case the strongest and most relevant argument is new films. The new films need a clean slate. I'm sorry, but in my opinion there isn't an argument strong enough to convince me that the new films should take place in the same universe as the EU. Now, you can argue that we don't need new films and that'd be 100% fair and I wouldn't debate the point. But the fact is new films are happening and so this was the most logical course of action. That doesn't mean we have to like it however.
_________________
"To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits. " Dr. Walter Bishop

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Message
  mephizt
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 26 Jun 2014
Posts: 24

i am totally in favor of some kind of protesting. Does not mean that I will cut, however I will assess what I will consume. The first 3 comic announcement did not stir any excitement, quite the opposite. I might give a shot with Leia cause it is mini-series, but rest..doubt.

For me the most enjoyable thing of SW is the EU, the multiple stories built around it, regardless of time, characters and how it plays fairly good overall. The endless possibilities that were shown to us via the novels, games and comics, of past, present (ANH) and future.
And now everything being kind of discarded? That sucks pretty bad, it is showing arrogance and superiority towards something that was not inferior and was good.

So yeah, I will join that group, I will keep suspicious of Disney and Marvel. For me Disney = kids material...I wonder what SW will turn to be...call me skeptical eheh


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1667
Location: Ontario, Canada

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
Tarkin and Heir were almost certainly planned before the sale.

I'm not sure. I think the sale was planned a bit before we ever new about it. I'd wager even back with Kathleen Kennedy took over Lucas was sending out feelers about selling. I suppose it's possible but I'm not sure they'd have been planned beyond "Oh, hey a book about Tarkin would be cool some day."

They are no longer relevant. And that is a big change.

Relevant to what though? They're all relevant to each other and the first 6 films same as they always were. They're still relevant to your life and your likes and dislikes. This idea of canon or non-canon is a false dichotomy. Fandoms for decades have had multiple canons. It doesn't make one or another wrong, it makes one active and the others not so.

but there is not a single argument that makes any sense to wipe the entire EU as they did.

If it were just books and comics I'd agree to an extant. "Because a clean slate would be interesting" is always an argument even if it isn't a strong one. But in this case the strongest and most relevant argument is new films. The new films need a clean slate. I'm sorry, but in my opinion there isn't an argument strong enough to convince me that the new films should take place in the same universe as the EU. Now, you can argue that we don't need new films and that'd be 100% fair and I wouldn't debate the point. But the fact is new films are happening and so this was the most logical course of action. That doesn't mean we have to like it however.


Word. I think there's a very good argument for wiping it clean. They want to tell specific stories, and those stories contradict what was written. Disney is willing to fork over money to make new movies, and the movies they are choosing to make are not bound by pre-established rules.

mephizt wrote:
i am totally in favor of some kind of protesting. Does not mean that I will cut, however I will assess what I will consume. The first 3 comic announcement did not stir any excitement, quite the opposite. I might give a shot with Leia cause it is mini-series, but rest..doubt.


This isn't a bad thing, though. I stopped buying everything Star Wars about a year and a half ago, because the newer material wasn't as interesting. I didn't like, for example, how they cancelled all my favourite comics and replaced them with stuff that wasn't as good. And then they cancelled those too. I didn't buy the last two arcs of Dark Times, nor the latest Star Wars or Legacy volume. I also didn't buy many of the recent novels. The best attitude to have, in my view, is purchase what you want to buy, and don't purchase what you don't want to buy. If everyone did that, the market would fix the issue.

I myself am curious by the clean slate, and will see what they come up with. The three new comics look interesting to me. At least some of the novels look good too (I'm not sure about A New Dawn, but that's just because I don't know too much about Rebels.)
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote  
Message
  YodaBauer2442
Master
Master

Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 552
Location: Sofa

Word. I think there's a very good argument for wiping it clean. They want to tell specific stories, and those stories contradict what was written. Disney is willing to fork over money to make new movies, and the movies they are choosing to make are not bound by pre-established rules.

Also, for me personally, because Star Wars is one of the few big movie franchises to actually start as films, it's certainly the biggest that was a film first (and not a book or a comic or heck a TV show like Star Trek) I fully support films taking precedence over other mediums. If we were talking about Game of Thrones or something that was a wildly popular book series first and then it became popular in other mediums I'd be very upset over the disrespect shown to the original medium. For Star Wars I fiercely want to protect a series that actually originated on film. It's becoming too easy to adapt stories these days and I want to support original stories told on the big screen.
_________________
"To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits. " Dr. Walter Bishop

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop



View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  GrandMaster
Master
Master

Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 530
Location: Earth Jedi Temple

mephizt wrote:
.So yeah, I will join that group, I will keep suspicious of Disney and Marvel. For me Disney = kids material...I wonder what SW will turn to be...call me skeptical eheh


I've seen this expressed other places too, but it confuses me - sure, Disney does a lot of kids materials, but even ones they do are loved by people of all generations. I had a college classmate constantly reminding me to see Frozen. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been great. And The Hunchback of Notre Dame shows that Disney is not afraid to get dark. I mean, we didn't judge 20th Century Fox based on their kids movies - why should we do the same with Disney?
_________________
"But it was so artistically done."

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote  
Message
  mephizt
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 26 Jun 2014
Posts: 24

GrandMaster wrote:
mephizt wrote:
.So yeah, I will join that group, I will keep suspicious of Disney and Marvel. For me Disney = kids material...I wonder what SW will turn to be...call me skeptical eheh


I've seen this expressed other places too, but it confuses me - sure, Disney does a lot of kids materials, but even ones they do are loved by people of all generations. I had a college classmate constantly reminding me to see Frozen. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been great. And The Hunchback of Notre Dame shows that Disney is not afraid to get dark. I mean, we didn't judge 20th Century Fox based on their kids movies - why should we do the same with Disney?


Sure, i have watched Disney stuff all of my life as well. However i feel a bit bummed with all this. And i was also never fond of having SW in Disneyland amongst other things, but that is me. In the end yes I might be a little angered by the way they are addressing the whole SW issues. That might be misplaced cause lucasfilms and George Lucas share the blame as well. However i feel sad that we might be losing developments in the EU. And while I say I am skeptical, I will still follow what will be released, i also give benefit of the doubt.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1667
Location: Ontario, Canada

mephizt wrote:


Sure, i have watched Disney stuff all of my life as well. However i feel a bit bummed with all this. And i was also never fond of having SW in Disneyland amongst other things, but that is me. In the end yes I might be a little angered by the way they are addressing the whole SW issues. That might be misplaced cause lucasfilms and George Lucas share the blame as well. However i feel sad that we might be losing developments in the EU. And while I say I am skeptical, I will still follow what will be released, i also give benefit of the doubt.


This I can get behind. I was looking forward to Sword of the Jedi, and I was really digging Dawn of the Jedi, and I'm sad that those were forced to end.
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield