Paint Artwork
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Eeeeeep! *blushes and dives to hide under the cover* Thank you, OMB, Ree'dius, Mara, Reeps! You've made my day, now Very Happy

And I look forward to seeing your artwork, Ree'dius!

And yes, it's a little bit difficult, especially when doing people. Trying to convey emotion is a bit difficult, and then skin tone, but on the whole it's not too difficult at all *he says nonchalantly, leaning on the bar room table...then sliding off it to crash on the floor* But I don't think I'm as good as Skuls!

Again, thank you!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just a reminder. As it's Qui-Gon week soon, I said I'd do a Qui Gon one. And, in the spirit of forum...ness (sorry! Mind went blank) I put it to you to pick which one you want. Here are the ones already put up:

This one is leading as favourite, with two votes for it:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

And this has one at the moment:

Okay, while this one was put up to make a point, I'll include it. With one vote:

Remember, you can still put up other pictures to vote for, but remember that it closes when I come on the site tomorrow (Saturday)!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A couple of notes before you look at the next picture. I kind of thought that the Qui Gon week was last week, so that's why I gave the short open window for submitting pictures. My apologies.

On the plus side, I got to finish that specific picture in record time! I managed to do that one, and a couple of other things that I want to keep quiet on at the moment. However, I did get to do another, non-SW one. Which brings me to my second point. I'm afraid that I cheated a little bit on this one, because I wanted to get the face as accurate as possible.

And on another note, I am never drawing tartan again!

And on another (yes, another!) note, I'm quite annoyed because I've forgotten how to change png files into jpg files, so I can't get them on my picasa Crying or Very sad . I've resorted to opening normal photos in paint, erasing the previous picture so that it's a white page, and then doing my own drawing - which is fine, just very annoying because I can't remember how to do it properly!

Okay, I think you can tell I'm procrastinating here. Here it is:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay, so I was sitting here, the other day, wandering over the forums, when I saw OMB say that he could never draw a picture in Pain. That the best he could do was 'stick figures'. Well, that got me thinking. I started to think that maybe I should give a quick run-through of the process of making such a picture, just in case anyone's interested. Though, if you have no interest in such thing, and just want to see the end result, by all means go to the last post! I promise I won't feel upset that you've passed up all the time and effort I spent writing this little bit *sniffles*. I chose this picture:

In the process of recreating this picture, I saved my work at various intervals with the intention of showing you fine people, and giving (hopefully useful) pointers on how you could do it. So here it is.

First, you open up paint (duh) and set the dimensions of the page however you want it - though usually it's best that you recreated the size of the original photo as best as you can. However, it doesn't matter so much if you find you've run out of space. You can easily re-crop the picture and move it so that you have more space later. I purposely (read: accidentally) did this in the making of this picture, so that I could show you how it was done. Smart, ain't I?

Once you set your digital easel up it's time to set up the basics of the painting. Essentially, OMB was right in that all you do is paint stick figures:

In this first image I simply took two shapes (found in the top bar, left of the colours and right of the brushes): the rounded rectangle to make the body, and the oval to make the face. In doing this, I first measured the dimensions of the original photo using a very high tech piece of equipment - my fingers. Seriously. You could do it with a ruler, but really it's not worth it to go through so much bother, especially as, at this point, the laying down of these shapes are mere guidelines that you only pay so much attention to.

Next I measured the dimensions of the lower portion of Anakin, seperating him into two parts: the chest and torso, and thighs and legs.

Because, in this particular picture, Anakin has a slight flare of his clothing and wide, bowed stance, I set the Line shape (top left in the shape box) to create a diagonal to demonstrate this. Later, I would further cut that lower portion into its compound parts, and thus it looked quite out of its proper ratio. Don't worry. I did that on purpose (no, really!), because at the time it was only to be used as a rough guideline, both to how it would later be drawn, and to have something to base my colour pallet on. Though if you want to do it with the legs there first, you'd simply extend the painting digi-canvas further down and, using the rounded rectangle to create the legs:

At that point I also gave Anakin arms, and as you can see, they really are nothing more than stick figure arms. I also gave him a little lightsabre. It is important to give the blade its own colour so as to understand where the hilt ends and the blade begins.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Then, I set about to painting it in:

As you can see, it was very roughly done. Before I ruminate on the brushes, let me just tell you about the different sizes to be had. The sizes are found between the colours and the shapes. There are four of them, which I label 1 to 4 - 1 being the smallest, 4 being the biggest. You'll rarely use 3 and 4 when doing the fine detailing, but for when you make broad, rough strokes as seen in that picture, the larger ones come in handy.

In making this rough draft I used the Oil Brush (second down on the left when you open the tab). This is a very wonderful brush which has a variety of uses. At this point in the drawing, however, its use is provided solely in the range of colours it gives in one stroke. Starting off with the arms, I chose a dark purple and, giving nice big strokes to give a larger bicep and forearm (again, this is only rough so you know where everything will begin and end), and in using the oil brush, it gives you two shades: light and dark. I make use of both of these later. You will notice that I gave the purple arms an orange border. This was to differentiate where one purple blog ended and another began. In the original photo, it seemed to my eye, that Anakin's leather straps were also purple. At this point I merely gave them a black appearance - because I'm a maverick! You'll also note, at the waist, there's a big hole. Using the rounded rectangle again (shading it purple) I put that in place for the belt and carried on dividing the lower parts into his tunic and leather jacket and red trousers. You'll see, as I said earlier, they're a lot shorter than they should be. Again, it's okay. And, lastly, I painted the arm black.

You can, always, choose your own colour pallet, your own shades. You're the artist, and it's your creation, however I'm sticking as close as I can to the source in this to provide a good basis of comparison. I dare any member who wants to draw this picture, to put Anakin in a nice pink number!

Next was a simple step of painting in the face. Choosing the right skin tone is always difficult (as choosing your colours always are), and I can only tell you to use your own judgement, though I find 'light yellow' and 'rose' the best starting points. These are found on the bottom line of the pre-programmed colour panel. Choose one, whatever you want, and go to 'edit colours' on the very end. In there, you see a larger selection of basic colours, as well as a shade slider on the far right. You will come to love this slider, as it helps you determine the right shade for shadows and such. After you've found your desired shade through experimentation, press the 'add to custom colours' button and then 'ok'. It'll appear on the empty buttons underneath the predetermined colour panel. Then, shade it in and use the Line shape to put the cross on his face. The horizontal line shows where his eyes will be, and the vertical where his nose will be. It's at an angle, because in the original is at an angle. You can always put it straight, if you wish.

Next, using the Brush brush (top left, can't miss it) I created Anakin's hair. This brush is a marvel, as it's really the only one that provides an unfaultering line of colour- though it does shrink a little when you take your finger off the left click. I did his hair in two shades, which, thanks to the edit colour slider, were easy enough to pick out. Don't worry that it doesn't look great, because when you go to do the fine detail, you can erase all the unwanted fluff. On his face, using the oval shape, I created his eyes. Thankfully, once you take your finger off the left click the shape is highlighted so that you can still change its shape and move it to where you want it, if it's in the wrong place. Though do make sure not to click on any other part of the canvas before you're finished. Luckily, if you do, you can just paint over it and start afresh. For the nose I draw that by hand using the Brush brush, and I did the same for the mouth - though with a straight line like that, you could just as easily have used the Line shape. Don't forget the jaw, and I even threw in his scar by using the line shape.

At this point it's best to colour in the background with a non-clashing colour, one that isn't used in the main feature of the drawing. After picking your colour, select the Fill tool (found next to the brushes, and it looks like a bucket of paint being spilled) hover it over the background and simply click.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is where it starts to get tricky, as this is where you start with the nitty gritty detail. I've found it's best to start off with the eyes. Erasing the fine black lines you've just drawn at the bridge of the nose, and above the eyes, and replacing them, by using the Brush brush (I may just call that Bb from now on) and a shade of brown of your choice for the eyebrows. Next, you colour in around the eyes. To do this, select the colour picker (the tool found under the paint filler, which looks like a solution drop) and hover it over the flesh colour you've chosen. Go to the edit colour section and use the slider to get a slightly darker shade. You don't have to move it too much, only a few point down should suffice. Paint over the black and then paint in the eyeball with with. Next, paint in the iris. Some members here may remember me asking in the chat box about the colour of Anakin's eyes - this was why! If you choose to do this, and other pictures, you may have difficulty, sometimes, in finding out the proper eye colour. Using the Bb, gently draw little circles (oval shape doesn't help you this time) until you're happy, and then change to black and press and hold the Bb in the spot you want the pupil to be. He's looking slightly off to the side, so put it the iris and pupil slightly to the right.

Then change your brush to the oil brush, use that same darker flesh shade to colour in the left side of his face. You'll notice that, in the beginning, the paint comes down thinly and then more thickly - this is only a good thing, as it's a great help of providing creases and shadows - as seen under his eye and on his cheek on the other side. Seperate his scar with the brush to conform to his canonical appearance and follow the brush down across his jawline, dipping upwards for his butt-chin.

Next is the nose and switch back to Bb - as you can't really have an oily nose. Use the slider to provide a darker still shade to provide the outline of one side and the bottom curves. Then, lighten it by a large degree to provide the actual nose. Switch to black to provide the nostrils, and earhole to the left. Here comes the mouth. This is quite tricky, as you have to get not one shade right, but three. Rub out the black mouth. Use the Curve shape (in black) - found next to the Line shape - to provide the gaping, gormless look that he affects so well in this picture. Draw a straight line, and then do nothing. This is because you can curve the line to provide a slight smile, but if you press too soon it ends up far too wonky. To do this, click and hold on where you want the lowest part of the curve to be, then drag it downwards. Once you're happy with the result (it should only be a slight curve anyway) let go. This is the delicate bit, as you need to click on the right place (just where your curser is resting, just below the line) or it can become wider. Then you'll see the movement box around it, and if you want you can move it around to the right place. You may find that the line is a tad too wide, so before you click out of it, you can change the width in the size panel. then go to the brush tab and, in black, select each of the calligraphy brushes in turn. These are slanted lines that you can put to either side of the grin, to provide those slight creases you see in the original photo. Be see to only click them lightly, as to hold it down would give it a full black line, and with a brief click, it merely gives the hint of a line. You want the hint.

Then there's the lips. This is where the three shades come in. Stick with a basic light pink, then progress darker the further left you get. With the pink, using Bb, provide the full lower lip. Progress to the slightly darker red to provide that darker left corner, and then the darker still red for the very corner. For the top, I chose a darker shade of flesh, though I changed that later, I believe. It would be perhaps best to use the middle red.

For the navel, select a different shade of flesh (yes, another one!) to provide the right 'hill' as well as that darker shadow on his right cheek. And then use yet another flesh shade for his other ear. You may want to not make the mistake I made and place it higher.

Lastly (I hope), Anakin is frowning, so using that same shade, use Bb to provide to upside down triangles. Use the smallest oil brush to soften the effect for good measure.

Hopefully, your Anakin should be starting to look slightly human. Once you've broached that subject, you should be feeling a bit more comfortable and confident.

Next is the hair:

Pick the background colour and then paint away using Bb the fluff, to make it look a lot more leaner. Then, using a variety of shades of the two browns you've selected, use the oil brush to separate the hair into particular strands. Be sure to start with size 1, and start the stroke at the 'end' of his hair, as this gives a better overall appearance. At the top, at the divider of the two shades, use the darker to creep into the lighter area, and pull the brush back into the darker area. Then choose a slightly lighter shade to affect the hair parting. It's best, on the darker side, to leave it with one colour, though do the same affect with the oil brush and have little flyaway strands to make it appear less blocky.

Do be sure to save your work at regular intervals, and even make multiple copies, if you wish to do something bold, and want to compare earlier and later work. I should perhaps have written that earlier. Oops...

The good news is, once you've done the face and hair, for this particular photo at least, the hardest bit is over! For Clothes are a lot easer, and amount to simple defining the edges of objects, and then providing proper shading.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I started with the arm, as that's by all intents and purposes the main feature of the body. Using the darker shade of purple (or pink, if you've taken up my challenge Wink ) and Bb, fill in the bulk of the arm until you're happy with the outcome, and then use the colour edit slider to find a darker shade for the shadow. As I've said, this is where the oil brush really comes in handy, as several of those dark areas were done in a single stroke. I can really give no more advice, as this is a point of personal preference - of where you want to put the shadows. Though I do point out that arm crooks and hems as well as biceps are the main offenders for creating shadows.

In the same instance, I coloured in the black leather strips, and changed them to an infintessimally darker shade of purple for the basis, and a darker shade (in fact, I think it was the same shade for the arm shadow. That little scamp really does get around) for the lower down area. Too, I gave the edge a white strip to denote the light reflection. That was purely for dividing purposes. If you want to use a much lighter shade of purple, like I did at a later point, go right ahead! This white line followed all thway down the back, where I coloured in the inside of it true black.

Next came the other forearm. Taking advantage of the two tone oil brushing I did from earlier, I gave the centre to the lighter shade, while giving the main part that darker shade, and then supplanted it with shadows to make it look more rounded. Also, at the back, I gave the left torso definition by painting a few light lines, and some purple in - but that was mainly because it was bugging me. It could have waited.

In this, I concentrated on the hand and forearm. It was simply done, and probably didn't deserve its own photo, but I thought to include for a pointer that I didn't use for this one. For the forearm it has several curves. To get them equal, I simply used the line shape and guessed, as best I could, to get them as parallel as possible. For the fist I simply used Bb to give it the proper shape, however, if a fist you come across is fully vertical or horizontal, you can just as easily use the rounded rectangle shape.

All that was left to do, after the humps were done to satisfaction, was to colour over them with background tinted Bb. Using the oil brush to give that dull, greyish shine so that it looks like there's something there, and that he hasn't just got a weird, deformed hand. I also gave some meat to the lightsabre by using the Line shape, but I left it alone at that point.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Next came the thumb and fingers. Very simply, using Bb, I gave the overlapping curve, using the oil to effect the slight shine, and to give it proper definition. For the fingers, no line of separation was made to give them a singular appearance. Instead I merely gave the little ridges at the top to imply knuckles and individual dips to imply finger tips. That's all that's needed.

Next, I went back to the torso and coloured in the other shoulder. This shoulder, perhaps more than anything, shows how much use the basic outline is, and how little it means in the long run - as I coloured over most of it, in favour of the proper slope. Quick colouring in and it was done.

It was at this point that I decided to enlarge the boundaries of the picture. First, extend the borders until a point that you're happy, and go to the Image tab (left of tools) and select the dotted square (just above the word 'select' and move your curser to the top left edge of the drawing, press and hold left click and extend it right and downwards. Note: you can't scroll down, so you'll have to guess at where the end is, but just go as low as you can and you'll most likely get it. Then simply move the picture to a more central location, where it can get the most sunlight...

All that needs to be done is to fill in the empty white space with more background.

The flesh hand was somewhat more difficult, as it really needs the oil brush, but even the size 1 is a tad too big. The best you can do is to use the Bb as much as possible, before switching to the oil brush, and don't be afraid to go over the designated area. Afterwards, you can simply colour pick the background and, in Bb, paint away the excess.

Next came the belt. That big hole is about to be filled. Using the much lighter shade from the second forearm, you fill in the space with Bb. Then, you determine just where the centre line will be - basically where everything will hang off of - and then use the line shape to draw a nice, pretty look one. It just so happens that I, erm, put mine a little too low...

Here you determine what equipment you're going to include. It just so happens that Anakin wasn't packing a lot of heat that day, so there was just a few essentials. At this point the rounded rectangle shape comes in very handy, and you can simply put those down in various shapes and colours. However, for the purpose of showing different ways of doing things, I used two different ways of drawing the cylindrical objects. The first, from left to right, was the rounded rectangle, and the second was the line shape. Generally speaking, I found it easier to use the rounded rectangle, as the shading for the other was a bit too tricky.

The former, as you can see, was done very neatly.

Whereas here it's very haphazard, but that's a matter of personal choice. From left to right, colour in the brown pouch, remembering to leave a loop at the top, and to give it a slant as you go down. Don't bother with the black shadows just yet, merely concentrate on the effects. With the buckle, simply chipping away with the purple underlay gives it that look, drawing the lines where appropriate. For the little white capsule, simply draw three little dots with Bb and a grey one below, and using a lither purple with the oil brush to make it look like it's hiding under a mini belt. For the blue dictaphone-esque widget, using Bb to provide the little divots and shadows for the edges and stick out ear, while using the oil brush for the weird white haircut, and a blue dash for the parting. The cylinders were done with small, light dashes of oil shade, but you might want to go over the full white object with Bb, to be sure. The final pouch, you use the oil brush to provide the shadow in conjunction with the edit colour slider. By now, you should be very familiar with this technique, so that I don't have to go into detail. Only once all this is done do you go back and, using the oil brush, provide the ripples of cloth and dark shadows. Apply until satisfied.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finally you're at the legs. Not long to go. I know, reading all that above, it seems like a long slog, but really it doesn't take long, as you should most likely get the hang of oil shading very quickly. Trust me, this is MS Paint. Not rocket science!

You've probably noticed that your empty mini squares, filled with your custom colours, have long gone into darker shades, and have lost the shades of purple. That's fine, as you can easily use the colour picker tool to select what shade you want from the main torso cloth. Extend the leather strips until satisfied, remember to give it a rounded flare at the bottom. Extend the belt shadow down and to the left striip, on the left, as shown, leaving the centre as light as you're comfortable with. Remember, on the other side of the left sash, give it a light purple flare from reflection.

On the second, the right strip, there's a lot more light reflection in the centre. It's best to use that same flare from the other one, and colour in the centre with it. Then you're able to put down different shades and shadows around it, and encroaching upon it. Remember to give the light flare on the right-most edge, to separate it from the later colouring

Finally, you're on the very last purple cloth with the under-tunic. You may be bored of it, I know, but it's not that much left. Merely ten minutes or so. Shading in and flaring until you're happy with the end result. There's very little advice I can give you, as you've picked up the basic tools by now. All you have to do is to cut away with the background colouring until you've got the correct shape. However, I do stress that it's best to leave a little red, so that you can dip into that source for when you get round to doing the trousers. Which is now:

Marvellous, ain't it? no more purple. Just red and black and grey and blow and you're done. In the end, I chose, thanks to the slider, a darker shade of red, so that it was a more mauvey colour. Provide the basic dimensions with this colour, and with the shadows, first go dark at the top and at the sides, then choose a shade in between the two, to give that gradual effect of transition from light to dark. Once done, you can then colour in the back of the tunic between the legs, with full black.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Now the fun part. The lightsabre.

This image is very good for showing the details of the hilt, but if you choose to do other pictures which include lightsabres, you may wish to do more research and look up those designs on their own, either through google, or The Wook. Start by colouring the whole of it in with a very light grey - this will be the basic colour you'll use to get other darker shades from. Once done, go on to the black grip. Lining up the Line shape does the trick. Size 2 should do it, though you may wish to do two lines and then line them up to get a thick (but not as thick as size 3) line. Next, for just above it, instead of using the oil brush as you normally do, you'll be using the calligraphy pens to provide a more definitive edge. Be sure to not use these around the fingertips, instead just the edge opposite. The higher up the hilt you go, the darker the shading of the main, middle bit should be. This is slightly difficult around the fingers, but redoing the fingers with Bb is very easy, and one of the benefits of doing it in Paint. For the top most part only two features are worth mentioning. The little ringlet, the protrusion, simply create a large spot using Bb, with a little white speck in the middle, to make it look like a ringlet. The second is the edge. Make sure that's clearly defined, with the top most part slanting downwards from the left.

Lastly, the most fun/frustrating bit - the blade:

To make sure the blade is straight, select the Line shape (in white) and, from the bottom most point of the hilt, extend it upwards, lining it up with the centre point of each end, and further up to get the blade. Before you think I'm destroying all the fine hilt work, I'm not. Once you're done with setting down the line, remember, you can always move it and manipulate it, so take the hilt butt-end and move it up to the business end. There's your blade. Of course, you may want to widen it slightly, and to do this simply repeat the action, except you move the next line along a little to the left or right. When it comes to the blue tint (I chose the darker tint simply out of preference), I chose airbrush option (size 3), as size 2 is a little too thick, and size 4 too thinly spread. Then, simply slide the airbrush up the sides until you're happy with the end product. Another good brush for it is the Marker brush. The marker brush is useful to when you want to do a silhouette, and want the surface below it to still be visible, too. However, if you've not got a steady hand, it's probably require more than one coat - except when they overlap, it loses that translucent effect and, in my opinion, doesn't look as good.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So there you have it. All that needs doing is whatever you feel needs touching up, and to admire your new masterpiece:

And the original:

All this, if you sit down and dedicate your time to it, can take maybe half a day of 6 - 10 hours minimum. But, when I started this, around Friday, I had just learned of the wonders of Twitter, so it took me a while longer!

So. What do you all think?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Very cool, Life. I'll give it a try sometime. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In pink? Laughing Thanks, Reep!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Very cool! I've done a portrait of Darth Maul. However, I don't know how to get it into a post.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It cannot be seen, Severity Sad . However, congratulations! And I look forward to seeing it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works

Page 2 of 3