TOS refugee looking for a new home
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Spaceport View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hey TC, err, Consular! Glad to see you found your way here too! It's kinda fun talking to the same person on different boards.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

Re: TOS refugee looking for a new home
 PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

JediConsular wrote:

Hmmm, enjoy TCW as part of the Saga...and the EU? Why not? Do they require some more "motivation", My Master?

But jokes aside, I completely agree with you, divides amoung fans is hardly a reason to close the forum. As for some of the other reasons I can quickly remember, I don't believe any of them either: financial concerns (whatever! This is LucasOnline we are talking about for goodness sake, not some start-up little company in the Dunesea on Tatooine), and the inappropriate posts/threads reason (not happening either, we had great mods and these things can be deleted from the forum if they are outside the Terms of Use). None of it makes any sense to me.

Yeah, there's still a lot of head-scratching on my part, over the closer.

But anyway, I just wanted to explain what IR2 meant. Or at least what I'm pretty sure he meant. If not, just correct me, Rogue!

TCW, most fans believe, is part of the EU because it is not rated G-Canon, but T-Canon, and has its own level on the Continuity scale (said T-Canon), and thus considered part of the expanded universe. This is not the case. The reason it has its own level is because of 'book-keeping'. No, not the financial kind. I mean the Continuity Holocron kind. Basically, they gave it its own level so they can keep track of the origins of plot points, stories, characters, developments and actions - things like that - so that they don't get it confused with G-Canon. For all intents and purposes, Leland Chee says, it is to be considered G-Canon, and thus not EU.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Life Is The Path wrote:

Yeah, there's still a lot of head-scratching on my part, over the closer.

But anyway, I just wanted to explain what IR2 meant. Or at least what I'm pretty sure he meant. If not, just correct me, Rogue!

TCW, most fans believe, is part of the EU because it is not rated G-Canon, but T-Canon, and has its own level on the Continuity scale (said T-Canon), and thus considered part of the expanded universe. This is not the case. The reason it has its own level is because of 'book-keeping'. No, not the financial kind. I mean the Continuity Holocron kind. Basically, they gave it its own level so they can keep track of the origins of plot points, stories, characters, developments and actions - things like that - so that they don't get it confused with G-Canon. For all intents and purposes, Leland Chee says, it is to be considered G-Canon, and thus not EU.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one left in confusion over the closer and wanting an answer.

As for TCW, I have to admit, I have always considered it G-Canon, seeing as how Mr. Lucas has explained that it is under his direct control, just like the movies were. This said, I could never understand it having its own canon level, until now. Thank you for that information, I really appreciate it Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
Hey TC, err, Consular! Glad to see you found your way here too! It's kinda fun talking to the same person on different boards.

haha, yes, it's 'Consular' now Smile
TOS was the first Star Wars forum I joined, and well, since I was really sad about its closing, I though a new home deserved a new username too Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Welcome, JediConsular

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

TOS was the first Star Wars forum I joined, and well, since I was really sad about its closing, I though a new home deserved a new username too

Completely fair. I am just to fond of my SN as it references my to biggest fandoms: SW and 24.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:

Well said!

Yeah it's a complicated thing that Canon levels.

It all starts with the "3 tiers".

The Father - George's stuff- The films, and TCW TV shows. (What is G-level in all but the Holocron)
The Son - Lucas licensing (The general EU)
The Holy Ghost - Fanfic

Now of these only the Father and the Son count as continuity.

And of that Continuity it gets broke down for the "Holocron" the in business record keeping system. This is where things like TCW being T-level got some of us confused (ok it had me confused there for a while, but I've figured it out and have got it all sorted now)

Under the holocron only the Films are (G-level), with TCW being T-level and the Books and comics mainly C-level Games falling between and mainly S-level and the infinities as N-canon.

But the Holocron itself is but a record keeper. they needed to label TCW as T-level so as not to have it under the films in the internal system. The tv show is still G-level canon- but the books that chronicle the show are C-level

And Chee's statement about T-level canon being considered G-level look at it under the tiers all Father tier is G-level straight from the top.

Hope that helps as well.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: A floating diamond which no-one really seems to acknowledge

Does this mean I represent the Dark Side of the EU? Razz

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
Welcome, JediConsular

Thank you, Lord Ree'dius! Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
TOS was the first Star Wars forum I joined, and well, since I was really sad about its closing, I though a new home deserved a new username too

Completely fair. I am just to fond of my SN as it references my to biggest fandoms: SW and 24.

AH!! I knew it! Very Happy The first time I saw your SN on TOS, I thought of Jack Bauer and I wondered if 24 had something to do with your chosen moniker Very Happy
PS: I'm a pretty big 24 fan too, so excellent screenname, YodaBauer!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

Well said!

Yeah it's a complicated thing that Canon levels.

It all starts with the "3 tiers".

The Father - George's stuff- The films, and TCW TV shows. (What is G-level in all but the Holocron)
The Son - Lucas licensing (The general EU)
The Holy Ghost - Fanfic

Now of these only the Father and the Son count as continuity.

And of that Continuity it gets broke down for the "Holocron" the in business record keeping system. This is where things like TCW being T-level got some of us confused (ok it had me confused there for a while, but I've figured it out and have got it all sorted now)

Under the holocron only the Films are (G-level), with TCW being T-level and the Books and comics mainly C-level Games falling between and mainly S-level and the infinities as N-canon.

But the Holocron itself is but a record keeper. they needed to label TCW as T-level so as not to have it under the films in the internal system. The tv show is still G-level canon- but the books that chronicle the show are C-level

And Chee's statement about T-level canon being considered G-level look at it under the tiers all Father tier is G-level straight from the top.

Hope that helps as well.

It does, thank you so much, illogicalRogue2 Very Happy

Like I said before, I kind of always assumed TCW as being part of G-Canon, but I just didn't get why it should have it's own canon level in that case. I never knew of all the administrative and business issues involved.
And I didn't know that the books about the show was considered C-level, I thought that went under the T-level as well...How do the folks at LFL keep it all straight? It's such a huge galaxy, it's bewildering!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

DarkSideSon wrote:
Does this mean I represent the Dark Side of the EU? Razz

Nope. Sorry. You've been far to nice to me since I joined to represent Dark Side-anything. Sorry. Not happening.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

JediConsular wrote:

AH!! I knew it! Very Happy The first time I saw your SN on TOS, I thought of Jack Bauer and I wondered if 24 had something to do with your chosen moniker Very Happy
PS: I'm a pretty big 24 fan too, so excellent screenname, YodaBauer!

SW and 24 are my two big fandoms! I have started watching all of the first episodes of the seasons, followed by the second and third etc. Just to compare how the seasons develop.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

YodaBauer2442 wrote:

SW and 24 are my two big fandoms! I have started watching all of the first episodes of the seasons, followed by the second and third etc. Just to compare how the seasons develop.

I've been lucky, one of our local satelite channels have been rebroadcasting all the episodes starting from Season 1.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome, Consular! Happy to have you and hope you have a great time at the Cantina. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Page 2 of 3