Log in to check your private messages
Big Reveal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

Has GL forgotten that until he did the prequels (and he rewrote them all for filming, they didn't used to be so Annie focused) it was LUKE'S story!? Come on now George. If you're going to overcharge us for Blu-Ray, make me buy a high def tv (not cheap) and make me buy something that plays Blu-Ray (anywhere from $200-600) can't you at least make it look good? seriously....
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Cerrinea
Master
Master

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 1491

Seriously, Caedus, no one's making you buy all that stuff. Really kind of a stretch blaming GL for that.

Not to say I don't want all that stuff too. Very Happy
_________________
Roqoo Depot co-founder.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  LightsaberRattling
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Posts: 71
Location: San Diego

I may be in the minority, but I actually really like the Complete Saga box art. I would have made Luke more solid/real looking, but I think the water color look to it is cool.

I also like the OT box art, the design and blue work well. Again I think they minimized Luke too much though.

The PT box art doesn't really work for me though. The greenish hue to everything just looks off.

My biggest disappointment is that it doesn't look like we will be able to do any branching, because the deleted/alternate scenes are on separate discs then the feature films.

For more of my ramblings on the Blu-Ray set: http://bit.ly/lPKOfk


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

@Cerrinea: I know he's not making me buy it all. I understand that. All I did was agree with a couple other guys that it will be overpriced as well as unattractive to look at. That was all
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Queen Padmè Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 5158
Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Haven't sprung for a Blu Ray player yet, so meh.

As for the cover art, I like the main box art, but the OT/PT covers? Dislike.
_________________
All things die, Anakin Skywalker, even stars burn out.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.



Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

LightsaberRattling wrote:
I may be in the minority, but I actually really like the Complete Saga box art. I would have made Luke more solid/real looking, but I think the water color look to it is cool.

I also like the OT box art, the design and blue work well. Again I think they minimized Luke too much though.

The PT box art doesn't really work for me though. The greenish hue to everything just looks off.

My biggest disappointment is that it doesn't look like we will be able to do any branching, because the deleted/alternate scenes are on separate discs then the feature films.

For more of my ramblings on the Blu-Ray set: http://bit.ly/lPKOfk


So Pete, you wrote:

Quote:
I already have my Complete Saga Blu-Ray on pre-order and if you haven't yet made the conversion to Blu-Ray, I can't think of a better reason then to enjoy Star Wars in high definition. September 16th is just around the corner.


I have yet to make the conversion to Blu-Ray, and even though I'm a die hard fan, I am refusing to buy this and make the switch. Not just for the godawful cover art, which is godawful, but because they're simply releasing the same movies we already own on DVD.

Let's be honest. The OT wasn't shot in HD, so the upgrade (compared to an upscaled DVD) will be minimal at best. And I seriously doubt that the image quality for the PT will be an amazing jump in quality compared to what we already have on DVD. The fact that LucasFilm ONLY touted the audio aspect (with visual not even addressed?!) makes me think that we're getting a pretty lazy release.

If they were making this the even special-er edition, with the CGI Yoda for Episode I and some additional stuff put in, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But come on, if they're saving that for the 3D theatrical release then they'll be stuffing the newer versions of the Blu Ray down our throat in a year tops.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Lord Ree'dius
Master
Master

Joined: 11 Apr 2011
Posts: 700
Location: The Unknown Regions

VileZero wrote:

I have yet to make the conversion to Blu-Ray, and even though I'm a die hard fan, I am refusing to buy this and make the switch. Not just for the godawful cover art, which is godawful, but because they're simply releasing the same movies we already own on DVD.

Let's be honest. The OT wasn't shot in HD, so the upgrade (compared to an upscaled DVD) will be minimal at best. And I seriously doubt that the image quality for the PT will be an amazing jump in quality compared to what we already have on DVD. The fact that LucasFilm ONLY touted the audio aspect (with visual not even addressed?!) makes me think that we're getting a pretty lazy release


I totally agree with you on this, Vilezero.
There is no real reason to buy this as soon as possible.
I'll be wainting for the 3D Blurays too.
_________________
"Strong you are with the dark side, young one. But not that strong.
Still much to learn, you have. Surrender, you should."

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Crash Override
Master
Master

Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1962

A few thoughts:

I agree with PadmeSkywalker about the PT and OT specific boxart. Yoda and Vader's heads take up way too much space. I like the saga boxart.

I disagree with VileZero about the films not being shot in HD. 35mm film negatives can resolve up to 6,000 lines. Current "HD" is 1080 progressive, which is 1,080 lines. The DVD is 480i, which is 480 interlaced, which is 240 pixel lines per frame. 720p alone is more than doubling the lines of pixels in the image, 1080p is quadrupling it.

The reason older films may look bad in HD is due to the quality of the film negatives after so many years; I have Blade Runner from 1982 on blu-ray and it looks fantastic. The OT will also look fantastic because the film was restored back in 1996 for the Special Edition. I also suspect that the conversion process of the film negatives to the format can also result in a bad picture quality if done poorly. It really depends upon the amount of work done in restoring the film and converting it to the format, which definitely will not be a problem with Star Wars.

I do have the HD recordings from television broadcast on DVR, and it's my understanding that they're 720p (at best), and even their picture quality is substantially better than my DVDs, to the point that I watch the recordings unless I want something DVD specific, e.g. audio commentary. The picture quality will be worth it if you have an HDTV. Although I am looking forward to the audio fidelity as well, though I find a 6.1 release curious rather than 7.1.

Finally, I really don't understand the complaint about George Lucas re-releasing the films. Pretty much every film that was shot in the 90s or earlier and is popular enough to see continual home video release has been released in VHS, DVD, and blu-ray. This isn't unique to George Lucas. Frankly, I'm annoyed it's taken this long for Star Wars to be released in an HD format.

Edit: Found this while trying to confirm what I heard about the SW HDTV broadcasts: http://www.pauliesworld.org/swhighdef/

Apparently SkyHD has good 1080p broadcasts compared to the American HDTV broadcasts. I imagine that the blu-ray will be even better quality than this, however, because the picture quality isn't just dependent upon how many lines of pixels but overall image quality as well.

Edit the Second: My research has revealed that the OT stands to look even better than the PT by virtue of the fact that it was shot in 35mm film, rather than digitally. The digital camera Lucas used, the HDW-F900, is only capable of filming in 1920x1080 resolution, so at its best its capable of the 1080p resolution (and apparently the filmed image was cropped for the 2.35:1 aspect ratio), whereas the 35mm analog film is capable of providing a much better resolution. I suppose this explains why I had read that it was more difficult to convert the PT to 3D than the OT; working with the OT film negatives provides better picture quality for said conversion than the digital PT.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3891
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, like I said, it doesn't really concern me...

But I agree with Rattling. I quite like the box art, specifically the watercolour aspect of it - though I agree that it shouldn't have been as cluttered as that.

I must say, though, that for all that hype? I was expecting something bigger.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Crash Override
Master
Master

Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1962

Caedus_16 wrote:
Has GL forgotten that until he did the prequels (and he rewrote them all for filming, they didn't used to be so Annie focused) it was LUKE'S story!? Come on now George. If you're going to overcharge us for Blu-Ray, make me buy a high def tv (not cheap) and make me buy something that plays Blu-Ray (anywhere from $200-600) can't you at least make it look good? seriously....


I think you can also find blu-ray players for around $100 if you look in the right places. HDTVs can be had for $300-400 if you're looking for a 32" model, which is about the size you'd want for a bedroom. The 50" or so 1080p ones can be had for $800-1,000. 42" can be had for around $500-700. I'm not saying they're cheap, but they're affordable now.

I definitely wouldn't recommend spending $1000 just to watch Star Wars on blu-ray, but if you're someone that likes to watch movies and TV (or play videogames), it may be worth it. There's quite a big difference between watching a film on a 16:9 1080p 50" HDTV LED/LCD/plasma display and watching it on a 4:3 21" 480i CRT display.

I think it's ultimately something where if you don't already have it, and aren't interested in getting it with Star Wars not considered, it's not something to spend the money on. But if you already do have it, then you're probably looking forward to SW in HD. Or if you're someone that's been considering investing in an HD display and blu-ray player, SW might provide the catalyst necessary to finally do it.

If you're satisfied with your DVD copy, don't spend the money. I don't even think special edition type changes like the CG Yoda in TPM are really worth spending the money unless it's something you're going to use for other than SW. From my perspective, I've already got the hardware, so I'm looking forward to it. But if you don't, it's something you should probably hold off on. The price will probably go down by the time you do get it. Although Amazon has it for pretty cheap preorder.

Edit: That does make me curious, what sort of TV setup do most people here have?


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Taral-DLOS
Master
Master

Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 1656
Location: Ontario, Canada

Life Is The Path wrote:


I must say, though, that for all that hype? I was expecting something bigger.


That's what SHE said.

But on a more serious note, I'm looking forward to this. I went Blu-Ray about 1.5 years ago, and did in it phases (my DVD player died, so I replaced it with a PS3, and then many months later my tube TV died, so replaced it with a Hi-Def 40" LCD, and slowly bought Blu-Rays in the meantime.) It's not expensive if the conversion is done gradually.

To those who said they already bought the movies on DVD, so why now again on Blu-Ray, I ask one question: Did you have the same comments when the DVDs came out? Episode III aside, I assume a good chunk of people here owned them on VHS first. I certainly did, and I remember a distinct fan outcry when Episode III wasn't put on VHS.

I'll grant that the hype for this was just too much (I was even thinking the announcement was on the Live Action series!), but this is great news and I'm totally looking forward to getting the complete saga on Blu-Ray. And my wife, who is distinctly NOT a Star Wars fan, actually supports this decision. Yay! And I was hoping to start replacing some of my DVDs with Blu-Rays soon (the only one replaced so far has been Repo: The Genetic Opera).

Yay Blu-Ray!
_________________
"I'm...from Earth."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote  
Message
  LightsaberRattling
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Posts: 71
Location: San Diego

I am not sure why there is so much push back against Getting a Blu-Ray player. They have dropped in price to basically what DVD players cost not to long ago. I waited until the format war between HD DVD and Blu-Ray was resolved and got a cheap Insignia (Best Buy brand) wifi Blu Ray player for a $125 w/a discount on a Blu-Ray Disc also about a year and a half ago. I love the format and it looks great.

I was also a fairly early adopter on HDTV I have a 1080i/720p LG Slim CRT HDTV that I've had since about 2007.

If you don't have an HDTV, certainly don't buy one for just one move set, but if you have an HDTV there is no reason not to get a Blu Ray player and this movie set

Ultimately if you are skeptical of the quality of the Blu-Ray transfer them just wait and rent it or watch it somewhere before buying.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Crash Override
Master
Master

Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 1962

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:


I must say, though, that for all that hype? I was expecting something bigger.


That's what SHE said.

But on a more serious note, I'm looking forward to this. I went Blu-Ray about 1.5 years ago, and did in it phases (my DVD player died, so I replaced it with a PS3, and then many months later my tube TV died, so replaced it with a Hi-Def 40" LCD, and slowly bought Blu-Rays in the meantime.) It's not expensive if the conversion is done gradually.

To those who said they already bought the movies on DVD, so why now again on Blu-Ray, I ask one question: Did you have the same comments when the DVDs came out? Episode III aside, I assume a good chunk of people here owned them on VHS first. I certainly did, and I remember a distinct fan outcry when Episode III wasn't put on VHS.

I'll grant that the hype for this was just too much (I was even thinking the announcement was on the Live Action series!), but this is great news and I'm totally looking forward to getting the complete saga on Blu-Ray. And my wife, who is distinctly NOT a Star Wars fan, actually supports this decision. Yay! And I was hoping to start replacing some of my DVDs with Blu-Rays soon (the only one replaced so far has been Repo: The Genetic Opera).

Yay Blu-Ray!


I went through phases too, and after three or four years now I've got a decent HDTV and sound system setup, which is nice.

And I didn't even know Episode II was released on VHS.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Korriban

I don't have the Blu-Ray player due to almost every cent I have going to gas money or my school bill. As to my setup: in my room I have an old box tv. Its huge. At home the parents have a high def and they want a Blu-Ray player so soon I'll have one available but only while living at home. With car payments, phone bills, insurance, rent, all of that makes it hard for me to upgrade in systems right now. I save for book for entertainment and for school, that's pretty much my expenditures. Oh, and date night like once a week. THat's about it. No moolah for the high def stuff right now. I'm not against it, its just expensive for those of us still up and coming in the world. I actually like Blu-Ray, but I know what its like not to have the money for that kind of thing. Sorry if that bugs anyone, it seems to occasionally
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  VileZero
Master
Master

Joined: 21 Mar 2010
Posts: 816
Location: Maryland

Quote:
I disagree with VileZero about the films not being shot in HD.


I... whaaa? You can't disagree with me... they weren't shot in HD. I mean, that's a fact. Doesn't matter what 35mm transfers to now, it's still not HD.

Quote:
The reason older films may look bad in HD is due to the quality of the film negatives after so many years; I have Blade Runner from 1982 on blu-ray and it looks fantastic. The OT will also look fantastic because the film was restored back in 1996 for the Special Edition.


Right, which is exactly why the Special Editions don't look all that great on DVD. They're 30 years old, they're not supposed to be the pinnacle of great picture quality. As great as the restoration of the OT was, it still gave us stupid things like pink lightsabers instead of red ones. It's not nearly as crisp as the PT. Watch five minutes of the RotS and RotJ space battles, and tell me which you think looks better. There's only one answer: RotS.

Quote:
If you don't have an HDTV, certainly don't buy one for just one move set, but if you have an HDTV there is no reason not to get a Blu Ray player and this movie set


I do have an HDTV, and an HDMI cord that upscales my DVDs. From what I've seen, the leap in picture quality between DVD and Blu-Ray simply isn't good enough to warrant the purchase of a Blu-Ray player, no matter how much it costs. The points I listed earlier are exactly my reasons for why fans shouldn't upgrade to Blu-Ray, or to even buy the disks.

But then again, just my opinion on it.


Last edited by VileZero on Thu May 05, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 3 of 9
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield