Venturing into Non-Sith Related EU, Opinions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venturing into Non-Sith Related EU, Opinions
 PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

As the title implies, I am considering going outside of the Sith related stories in the EU and I have a few books in mind. However, I would like input from more seasoned EU readers. My considerations are:

Coruscant Nights Trilogy: I have read Shadow Hunter many time and love the lower levels of Coruscant. Those scenes in AotC were my favorites.

Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina

Tales of the Bounty Hunters

Tales from Jabba's Palace

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The stories in the tales from books are hit and miss. The only ones I remember being any good are the Boba Fett stories by Daniel Keys Moran. He also wrote the one about Labria at the Mos Eisley Cantina.

I like Coruscant Nights but they're not very good with continuity, if that sort of thing bothers you. Most people seem to think the second and third book decline in quality compared to the first. I liked them all and Shadow Hunter. Vader is pretty prominent in them so there's some Sith involvement.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

And you can't go far wrong with the Thrawn books, or Stackpole/Allston's X-Wing books.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Thank you both for the replies.

Continuity isn't a huge issue for me, I just enjoy a good story. As far as the Thrawn books go; I give them an honest go before, but I didn't find them to my liking. I've gotten the feeling that those books have become something like the golden standard or something, but they just didn't catch my interest.

I think I will get Tales from Jabba's Palace simply because Ree-Yee's tale is in there, and his was the first action figure I ever owned. Not to mention that Jabba's palace was my favorite part of RotJ.

Also, if it helps in making suggestions: I am not a fan of all the starships and such either. I can be a very difficult person to appease most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm. Not a fan of starships...Yes, you don't exactly make it easy! Wink What does appeal to you?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I definitely recommend Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Specter of the Past, and Vision of the Future. Those are probably my five favorite SW novels, along with Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and Traitor.

None of which really involve the Sith, in my esteemed opinion (YMMV).

Edit: Missed reply. Um, I guess all of the ones I named except Traitor involve starship battles to some degree. Traitor deals heavily with philosophy and the Force. The antagonists don't use the Force. It's part of a 19 book series, and it's book 13 in that series, though...

Edit 2: Regarding Daniel Keys Moran's short stories, he wrote two Fett stories in Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and one about Labria in Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina. The best of the three is the one from Tales of the Bounty Hunters, which wasn't edited from his manuscript -- apparently KJA didn't let them. His other two were somewhat edited. I think his original concept for the Jabba's Palace Fett story was that the sarlacc was a sapient creature, but he had to change that.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I apologize for the inconvience I maybe causeing some of you, having to rack your brains and all, but I do not apologize for my fickleness.

As I said, the books do not need to even involve the Sith, I want to explore outside of them. I have an interest in a lot of the lesser known characters, or ones that aren't "main players", a reason I am asking about the Tales of/from series. I would also be interested in Storm/Clone Trooper based books, ones that deal with specific squads/legions/battalions etc (Wished they made a novel based around the Gloom Walkers). I have no interest in the bigger story arcs such as NJO, Legacy, or Fate series.

Is it possible to read The Jedi Academy Trilogy as a stand alone and still know what is going on? I did read and enjoy I, Jedi, although I found that chracterization of a certain spirit to be rather underwhelming.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I Don't think there'll be much novels you'll like in the EU.
Maybe you could check out some of the comic series....

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Okay, so I have gone back through Amazon.com and found the Republic Commando series. I enjoy the author's writing style (from what I have read of the previews), and I can appreciate what is going on (being in the Army myself and a war veteran). It is very likely that I will be picking these books up. I would just like other peoples' take on these stories, if anyone feels obliged.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

On the whole, I'd think you like it. It deals a lot with the clone slavery issue, but it has that real, down to earth feeling. While I've not been in the army myself, I've spent a lot of time around people who have to feel quite safe in saying it stay true to military protocol and ethos so you'd feel comfortable.

And no need to apologist! I like a challenge.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

the 4 Republic Commando novels are great. Traviss' writing style really captures all individual characterizations beautifully without any quirks getting mixed up between the individuals and she did an amazing job giving each CLONE their own identities. Plus all the Mando vocabulary is a joy to read and learn a bit of. Very Happy The fifth and last book "Imp Commandos 501st" was unnecessary though, I think you can skip it, I wish I had.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I should point out that a few of the books referenced so far in this thread (even from the thread starter) feature Sith quite prominently.

The Coruscant Nights trilogy does a lot with Darth Vader.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy was the first time the novels featured Exar Kun. His spirit had a direct influence on many students, to the point where one was declared a Dark Lord of the Sith.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote  

Republic Commando was a great book, and if you want to get away from the Sith and zero in on the Clones, you'll love it. That said, I loved the series up until 501st, at that point I got turned off. Seemed like Karen lost focus on that one.

As for the Coruscant Nights books, I enjoyed all of them. They were a nice read that was different from the usual stuff. It's not the best series or books out there, and it's probably not for everyone, but I love reading and Star Wars so I thoroughly enjoyed them.

If you really want to jump away from the mainstream, I'd suggest the Medstar Duology. It sounds really lame, but it was a great read. Kind of like MASH only set in the Clone Wars and with more action.

Tales of the Bounty Hunters was my favorite of the Tales books because I loved the bounty hunters from ESB. All of the Tales books are really well suited for fans of the original trilogy. They're not epics, but they're fun.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Tales of the Bounty Hunters was all great except the IG-88 story which is just new levels of stupid.

Tales of the New Republic was bad. All of them reprinted from the RPG journal books and really just didn't read well at all.

Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina were hit n miss at best, 90% forgettable at worse. Most of those stories just seemed so contrived that they were hard to take seriously. (and I HATE the Greedo and Lak Sivrak stories SO MUCH that it hurts my brain to try and block them out)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

wookie_inked wrote:
Tales of the Bounty Hunters was all great except the IG-88 story which is just new levels of stupid.

Tales of the New Republic was bad. All of them reprinted from the RPG journal books and really just didn't read well at all.

Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina were hit n miss at best, 90% forgettable at worse. Most of those stories just seemed so contrived that they were hard to take seriously. (and I HATE the Greedo and Lak Sivrak stories SO MUCH that it hurts my brain to try and block them out)

Ooh, Tales from the Empire has a novella that was co-written by Zahn and Stackpole that's pretty good. Sidetrip, with Corran and Hal Horn as protagonists as CorSec agents.

Tales from the New Republic also has a novella they co-wrote, Interlude at Darknell, but I must confess to having not read it... yet. I might do that today now. I haven't actually read anything out of Tales from the New Republic.

Both Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic consist of short stories taken from Star Wars Adventure Journal. I don't think there's really any difference in quality between them and the Tales from/of books that KJA did, except that in the KJA ones, the stories are centered around background characters in the films whereas the Empire/New Republic ones are almost entirely EU.

Edit: Looking at the list of stories in Tales from the Empire and Tales from the New Republic, Zahn also has First Contact in the former and Jade Solitaire in the latter, which ought to be good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2