Last Legends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Last Legends
 PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Okay fans, here's the pitch:

Suppose 10 years from now, Disney (or whoever holds the rights at that point) commissions one last trilogy of novels, to bring the old Expanded Universe to a definitive conclusion. My question is: what would you like to see in those books? What pivotal or intriguing plot points would you like to see resolved and/or further explored? What are our favorite characters' ultimate fates, or at least the last that we know of them? Where should the focus lie--on Luke and Han and Leia, their families, the wider ensemble of the EU as a whole? Should the story lead us up to the Legacy comics, or allude to them, or ignore them altogether? And who should write it?

In my grander moments, I'd like to see the Star Wars apocalypse. The galaxy far far away is actually, finally coming to an end, and the Jedi must guide the people of the galaxy into a brave new world, an exodus across the stars. I also wouldn't mind a deeper dive into Jacen's time traveling force powers: Jaina (or whoever) leading a journey across time to gather all our favorite characters from each era into a small team that must confront the ultimate evil at the heart of reality seems pretty cool. This is all kind of comic book-y though, and I wouldn't mind a smaller trilogy either, focusing on some minor interplanetary conflict that our heroes get involved with, and resolving all their personal arcs. I think Zahn could be a fine choice for this kind of trilogy.

So what would you like to see? I'd love to see full storyline pitches here, but stray thoughts and character insights are welcome as well. Or if not through novels, which other mediums could be better suited for the task--a comic series? A cartoon? A video game? And are there any other threads you've found that might be relevant to this topic? Please leave your thoughts and join the conversation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Ren! Good to see a new member.

As for your question, that is most intriguing. I can't say I've ever thought about a resolved end to our EU, but now I'll have to think about what I would care to see...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I was hyped for Sword of the Jedi. I wanted to see what they had planned for Jaina and Jag. Obviously we'd want to see the start of the Imperial Knights. I wanted to see what happens with Ben and Vestara. I want to know what happens with Tahiri, Tenel Ka and Jacen's daughter, Allana. I'd like to see how the story would have led into the Legacy era to include the Solo girl.

There was still a lot of story to tell. But, I don't think we'll ever get that story. What I'd like, though, would be for someone like Pablo and Leland to put together a synopsis that answers all of those questions, something that tells us how it all would have gone had it continued.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Welcome! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Welcome to the forums!

While this is an idea that I've heard thrown around before, its one that I generally avoid discussing because there's a central flaw: the assumption that one (or even a set of) novel(s) could close the EU in short order.

The problem is there are hanging threads from multiple eras:

DOTJ - how did the Rakata get defeated by the Jedaii? and the republic form?
KOTOR - how did the jedi rebuild after Kreya?
TOR - how did the sith empire eventually really get defeated
Knight Errant - where did all the sith come from in this era? how did they go away? did they? or did they just stick around until Bane's time?
Dark Times - numerous hanging threads from Pavan, tot he Uhmele crew, to K'kruck, to Vader....
THe final battles between Pellaeon and Ackbar/Antillies (particularly the oft-referenced Borosk/Orinda battles)
NJO-LOTF is basically unfilled
Post-FOTJ/Crucible
Post-Legacy.

There's no way to solve that without really re-starting the publishing within Legends. Which I hope happens some day. But there's no fast way to cap ALL of those stories.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote  

Okay, that's an idea I could get onboard with. Ideally it would have been Allston, Zahn and Stackpole for the final trilogy, utilizing all their favorite characters for one last adventure.

However, since Allston is gone, I'd like three standalone novels. Christie Golden can write the Sword of the Jedi novel showing what would have happened to Jaina had the timeline continued.

Then I'd bring back Stover to write a big epic yarn for Streen. I'd want it to cover all the years we missed out on, from the NJO to the craziness of Abeloth. What was Streen doing during all this?

But the third one is hard. It's a toss up between Paul S. Kemp with a third Jaden Korr novel and Drew Karpyshyn with a Darth Zannah novel. Either one would be good.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Personally, I would like to read about the final fate of the Big Three (Luke, Leia and Han), when and how they died eventually.

Re: Last Legends
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ren Kenobi wrote:
In my grander moments, I'd like to see the Star Wars apocalypse. The galaxy far far away is actually, finally coming to an end, and the Jedi must guide the people of the galaxy into a brave new world, an exodus across the stars.

I've never imagined this as an ending to the EU, but now that I think about, it could actually be a lot of fun. It could bring back every character still alive in 40+ BBY for at least a cameo because they would all need to work together to evacuate the galaxy.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Then I'd bring back Stover to write a big epic yarn for Streen. I'd want it to cover all the years we missed out on, from the NJO to the craziness of Abeloth. What was Streen doing during all this?

Oh, heck yes! I'm surprised at how much I want this and saddened that I'll never get it. Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1