Qui-Gon Jinn: Another Time, Another Place

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Library View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qui-Gon Jinn: Another Time, Another Place
 PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote  

The lightsaber hovered just inches away from Qui-Gon’s face. The crimson red glow humming with sweetly promised death.

With an effort, he pushed back and forced his opponent off him. Yet the fiend was not off balance for long, and already his double bladed lightsaber was swinging away like a drunken Houk in a cantina brawl. But one with the Force, Qui-Gon was able to meet each attack. The Living Force was pouring through him; its will would be done.

The Irridonian, or perhaps a Zabrak, Qui-Gon could not be sure which this Sith was, flew through the air in a half somersault. Dodging the blow, Qui-Gon slipped away as Obi-Wan launched his own attack.

You’ve learned well, Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon thought to himself. But I never wanted to test you like this.

It was too late now. Qui-Gon had not anticipated the arrival of this Sith warrior, but even if he had, there was no one else he’d rather have fighting at his side. Years of training and practice had made them a formidable team. When one attacked at one point, the other seamlessly struck elsewhere, constantly keeping the Sith off balance.

Yet somehow the Sith seemed to flow with this constant disturbance. Almost as if he was thriving on the chaos of the attacks; the sheer thrill of living on the edge of death.

Is the dark side clouding my thoughts? Qui-Gon wondered. He wanted to warn Obi-Wan, but there was no time for it.

A lethal stab nearly pierced Qui-Gon’s right shoulder blade, had he not pulled back just in time and intersected the strike with his own blade.

Strike. Lunge. Counter. The Living Force guides my hand. Feint. Parry. Strike. It’s will is my will. A low sweep, a quick stab. Push.

The urge had come over him sudden like, out of nowhere, and without hesitation, Qui-Gon obeyed. He drew upon the Force and shoved at his opponent right as the Sith was sweeping his lightsaber for a lethal strike.

Was it the will of the Living Force? Qui-Gon believed it was, and that was all that mattered.

The Sith skittered backwards and into Obi-Wan’s waiting blade. The blue lightsaber sizzled as an arm was lopped off. The deadly double bladed lightsaber slid off into bottomless pit in the center of the room.

Yet Qui-Gon could still feel the Living Force telling him what to do. Now was not the time to lower his guard.

Sure enough, the Sith leaped back to his feet. His menacing yellow eyes scowled at the two Jedi.

Here it comes.

The horned, demonic Sith lashed out with his one remaining arm, unleashing a mad torrent of Force lightning that threatened to envelop Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in the tingling throes of death.

The vast amounts of dark side power were difficult to counter. Qui-Gon battled back with the Living Force. He used the stoic, all knowing calm to draw the lightning to his lightsaber. He ignored the pain of the tendrils that managed to rake his flesh with their sharp bite. And somehow he pushed forward, drawing his lightsaber and the lightning up above his head, and with a sudden surge of clarity, he lunged upon the Sith.

The Zabrak, somehow Qui-Gon knew that’s what he was now…the Zabrak’s yellow eyes grew large in surprise as the power he believed to be stronger was overwhelmed by the might of the Living Force. The blue lightsaber cleaved through his body, cutting him in two, both halves sliding to the floor in a brief moment of life that quickly fell into death.

Thirteen years later…

“Anakin, be mindful of the Force.”

“Yes master.”

Qui-Gon returned his attention to the cornered mynock in the room. Ah, but you are far more deadly than any mynock, aren’t you Chancellor Palpatine.

“Anakin, remember what I told you." Hissed Palpatine in his reptillian sounding voice, "The only way to save Padme is with me. Together we can use the dark side to save her.”

“Enough with your lies, Sith.” Qui-Gon ignited his lightsaber and focused himself in the Force.

Immediately he was hit by a wave of dark side power unlike any he had ever felt before. He felt like seashell being hit by the full might of a tidal wave as its awesome force crashed down on him. With all his being, he resisted being swept away by it.

Then he felt the reassuring presence of his apprentices behind him. Both of them were full Jedi Knights now, but they had never stopped looking up to him as their master. In a way, they were truly like brothers now. Fighting side by side in the Clone Wars had brought them closely together. And though he was their mentor and master, they looked up to him as the father they never had.

Qui-Gon drew on their strength. The dark tides faltered before him. Soon the waves withered into small eddies. He stood as a delta in the river, crushing its flow into mere gentle streams.

The Dark Lord of the Sith saw how the Jedi stood before him defiant. Two of the greatest heroes of the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, alongside their master, Qui-Gon Jinn, were poised to do battle once more. This would be the final battle. If he died, then a thousand years of Sith planning and manipulation would fail. Sidious’ death would be the downfall of Darth Bane’s legacy.

Yet, if he won, the Sith would have their ultimate victory. Without the Chosen One, the Jedi would fall. He had seen it. He knew it to be true.

There was no turning back at this juncture. Going all in, Darth Sidious ignited his lightsaber as he flew through the air in a rapid, Fore-enhanced attack. The red blade darted with uncanny speed as it struck first into Obi-Wan’s flesh, then breezed through the vaunted Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and finally sank into Anakin Skywalker.

Victory is mine! Sidious yelled triumphantly in his mind as the swift luck of his actions swelled within him. The power of the dark side is truly more magnificent than I ever comprehended!

But what was this? Why did the Sith Lord’s feet fail him as he landed? Why did his body crumple within the folds of his robe, one small mess amongst the luxurious expanse of his carpet? Why do I feel pain?

The Dark Lord looked up and saw the face of Qui-Gon staring back. He did not see pain on the Jedi’s face. No sense of loss that his two apprentices were dead or grievously injured. All he saw was…triumph.

Qui-Gon waited, lightsaber in hand, as the Sith Lord slowly died. He took no chances. When he felt in the Living Force that the Sith was no more, he knew that the prophecy had finally been completed. Anakin struck the fatal blow.

The Clone Wars are over.

The Sith are gone.

“Master, we did it!”

Qui-Gon smiled at the real mirth in Anakin’s voice. He was still young and passionate, something the elder Jedi was want to crush in so promising a Jedi. He knew the younger man just needed more room to grow, to be himself. He was the Chosen One after all.

Glancing between the three of them, he saw that the wounds were minor, Obi-Wan taking the worst of it.

“It will heal, master.” Obi-Wan chimed in, obviously picking up on Qui-Gon’s feelings.

“That it will, my apprentice.” Qui-Gon reached down and picked up the Sith’s lightsaber hilt. “I think it’s time we report back to the council. Master Yoda will want to hear of this immediately.”

In the High Council’s chambers...

“In great debt the Jedi Order is, to you, Master Jinn.” Master Yoda proclaimed from his low lying seat near the council floor.

“It was Anakin who struck the fatal blow, Masters.”

Master Windu gazed over his steepled hands. “You think that this fulfills the prophecy then?”

Qui-Gon replied cooly, “I do.”

“Right, Qui-Gon may be, mmm.” Yoda glanced over at Mace. “Bring balance to the Force, Skywalker has.”

“It’s possible.” Mace conceded. “The veil of the dark side has lifted.”

“Hmmm, still, murky the future is. Skywalker’s role as the Chosen One…complete, it does not feel.”

“Can you explain, Master Yoda?” As always, Anakin’s voice sounded eager.

“Much to learn you have, Jedi Skywalker.” Yoda looked over to Qui-Gon. “Teach him this, have you?”

Qui-Gon smiled. “Always, but Anakin has a thirst for such things.”

For a moment, Yoda and Mace both laid eyes on the Jedi. Like Qui-Gon, he was a threat to the established order of the Jedi. Change was not an easy thing to live with, and the Order as a whole resisted it, especially the High Council. At one time Obi-Wan was within reason, but even now, he too grew like the others. They were full of change and wanted new things for the Jedi Order.

Change had a funny way of bringing fear. Yoda often professed that fear led to the dark side, but that did not mean that Jedi knew not fear. On the contrary, all beings know fear, and against their wishes, it weighs heavily upon them at times.

The ultimate enemy of fear though was time. Nine hundred years is a very long time. Yoda had seen much in that long span of life. He wondered if change was finally on the horizon.

No. Looking at the three Jedi before him, Master Yoda knew that was not true. Things had already progressed passed that. He finally realized that it was upon them.

Change has dawned.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This is terrific Skuldren!

At first, I thought you were going to replay the events on Naboo, with extra insight into Qui-Gon's thoughts (which would have been neat enough). The next thing I knew, Maul's arm was gone, and I was on a totally different track. It was really fun to picture the fight with Sidious, but with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan present. The final scene with the council was great too. You picked a great subject and turned it into the perfect length short story. Love it! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I second his words. This is indeed a great story, Skuls! I couldn't believe it when Maul's arm was chopped off! I must have re-read that part three times!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Coruscant looking at the Jedi Temple in the distance...

Super sweet story... Very Happy

I read about two chopped arms today... Darth Bane and Darth Maul... And Maul's was much much sweeter... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thank you! Wink

HELP ME Obi-Wan ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Great story! Loved the way you portrayed Qui-gon, Obi-wan, and Anakins relationship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Library

Page 1 of 1