E-books and E-readers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-books and E-readers
 PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote  

So, anyone out there have an eReader? I recently bought an Amazon Kindle and it's pretty nifty. Holds a lot of books, easy to read, long battery life, not too expensive, and with any eReader you get access to a lot of free eBooks.

And if you don't have one, are you considering the jump...yet?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I use an iPad as my e-reader, but I've always been fond of the Kindle.

Actually, I heard from Mike Stackpole's blog today that Amazon is finally going to allow the ePUB format to work on their devices. Great news, now the Kindle is compatible with every major format on the market.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I have a Kindle, not the latest edition but the one before it. Since Amazon is allowing an ePub format, I'm hoping that more Kindle-friendly books (including Star Wars of course!) will be available in libraries.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Nope, I don't have one. I've been put off by talk that you can't always download certain books. For instance, if you have a Kindle, you can't read eBooks from other stores, that you can only buy from the specific store and things like that. Besides, I buy most of my books second hand, so the 'it's cheaper than HC prices doesn't really affect me at this point.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Real books for me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Actual pages > eReaders

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote  

I still love books, but I also love the ability to sit on the river bank fishing with the Kindle in one hand. I can turn pages with the push of a button so I never have to relinquish my fishing pole. And if I finish the book or get tired of it, I've got a 100 others to choose from. I think it'll also be really nice to have when I go camping. And to be honest, it's actually easier to hold the Kindle up for reading than it is a book.

Oh, and Life, I know you said you were reading the Sherlock Holmes books a while back. They're all free on Kindle. Free is very cheap. (but that's once you get past the hurdle of the eReader)

On the other hand, new eBooks are not cheap. In fact you can usually get the real book cheaper than the eBook or for like 50 cents more.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I see an advantage only in what you mentioned with turning pages. There are so many times I would like to read while eating lunch or something, but it is first difficult to turn the page, and second I do not want to splatter the book with food. So this would prove to be a good thing.

However, it would be in acquiring these eBooks that the problem arises. As you said, the prices are steep. I'm interested to go read your article on the matter. I just purchased Conviction for under $15, when the Kindle price is $13.99. I paid 51 cents more for a gorgeous hardback. So yes...that is mainly what stops me. If I was saving a phenomenal amount of money, and the library was not providing me with them as well...then I would consider it. And will probably end up getting one in the future, anyway. Such things tend to be inevitable. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote  

With eReaders other than Kindle, you can somehow get eBooks free of charge from the library. Soon the Kindle will be supporting the ePub format so it can do that too, but not yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am hoping to pick up an ipad by the holidays, either a 2nd gen onsale when the 3rd gen comes out or the 3rd gen. itself (depending on money since apple = $$$). I borrowed a 1st ipad and they are super cool.

I like ereaders in general, but in some cases I prefer to buy the book. I really want something that can view both comic books and novels. I am getting back into comics more all the time. I really wish you could just pay like a monthly subscription fee for X amount of content. If I actually paid for the downloads of all the comics and all the events I'd go broke.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote  
VIP
VIP

I have a Nook and also the Kindle and Nook apps on my Android phone. I prefer collecting in paper form, but for sheer portability, especially for huge volumes like many of the things I read as a history teacher, I tend to like ebook form.

In fact, the book series I'm now writing for has used the ebook route as a sort of early edition concept. The second and third books have been released in ebook form FIRST, and now the first three are being released in paperback as one volume. It allows folks to get access early if really heavily interested.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I still love books, but I also love the ability to sit on the river bank fishing with the Kindle in one hand. I can turn pages with the push of a button so I never have to relinquish my fishing pole. And if I finish the book or get tired of it, I've got a 100 others to choose from. I think it'll also be really nice to have when I go camping. And to be honest, it's actually easier to hold the Kindle up for reading than it is a book.

Oh, and Life, I know you said you were reading the Sherlock Holmes books a while back. They're all free on Kindle. Free is very cheap. (but that's once you get past the hurdle of the eReader)

On the other hand, new eBooks are not cheap. In fact you can usually get the real book cheaper than the eBook or for like 50 cents more.

Make that still reading Holmes!

Anyway, a quick perusal puts most older SW books at £4.50, while the newish Cornwell book 'The Fort' was £7.99. However, I think I saw a LOTF book at £4.50, so it seems you don't have to wait long for the books to go down. But, yeah, like you said, the eReaders aren't cheap. That would possibly be the biggest hurdle. However, I'm slightly more inclined to get one now. Just not all that soon!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

A book with always be paper to me. These new fangled e"books" aren't books, just files with words taken from the pages of books. I mean, I understand the concept of the eReader, but I feel that certain things just shouldn't be digitized. Also, with an eReader, you can't just dry out the pages if it falls into water.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote  

Well I'm embracing the best of both worlds. I mostly got an eReader because authors were writing books that were in eBook format only and I hate reading long word docs on my PC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1