True Colors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I think I did a mini-overview of all six movies somewhere on the forum... Let me find it.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Here it is. Scroll down to the bottom.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Lucas has said that SW is really one film comprised of 6 chapters. We can all read a great book but come across one or two poor chapters.

If you look at the films that way treat TPM and AOTC as poorer chapters compared to the rest of it. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

To be fair, Lucas has said lots of things about the films through the years. Whilst making my way through the old Marvel comics in the last few days, it was interesting reading the letters pages, with Empire being slated to be the 2nd film in a 9 film series, and I believe (though I can't remember where I heard this) that before that he said there was meant to be 12 films.

I just enjoy the films for what they are really, Jar Jar wasn't a great character, but I didn't find him all that annoying, and he was obviously there to appease the younger audience, which I think he did judging by how much my son loves him Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think us older fans expected the same impact with TPM that we had for ANH and it didnt happen because we had grown up. To kids TPM and Jar Jar are brilliant.

Also the media hype was massive for it. They built it up only to delight in tearing it to shreds.

I had heard about the 9 chapters but episodes 7,8 and 9 were to be sequels to the story. Lucas has stated that the story was only supposed to be in 6 parts.

If a new trilogy was ever to be made I would love the story to be set in TOR era.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
I think us older fans expected the same impact with TPM that we had for ANH and it didnt happen because we had grown up.

That may be true of some older fans, but nobody's an older fan than I am and I liked that the PT was distinctly different: different more formal era and Jedi Order.

Honestly the thing that bugs me the most about the PT is Jake Lloyd's acting. I can deal with Jar Jar and most of the other stuff. The story, imo, is fine. Inconsistencies between the PT and OT can be explained with not big stretch. For example, when Leia talks about her mother in ROTJ I assume she's remembering Breha Organa who died when Leia was really young, not Padme.

The kid, however, drive's me nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthDov wrote:
To be fair, Lucas has said lots of things about the films through the years. Whilst making my way through the old Marvel comics in the last few days, it was interesting reading the letters pages, with Empire being slated to be the 2nd film in a 9 film series, and I believe (though I can't remember where I heard this) that before that he said there was meant to be 12 films.

Wow. It would be quite a feat even in today's sequel-crazed industry to crank out 12 films, much less back then. Shocked

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

When I was in the process of packing for a move recently I came across my old Time Magazine ESB issue. It's there that they talk about a nine part series. The last three episodes were suppose to be about rebuilding the Republic. But Lucas eventually decided that it was Vader's story he wanted to tell. The proposed third trilogy became moot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Quote:
I think us older fans expected the same impact with TPM that we had for ANH and it didnt happen because we had grown up.

That may be true of some older fans, but nobody's an older fan than I am and I liked that the PT was distinctly different: different more formal era and Jedi Order.

Honestly the thing that bugs me the most about the PT is Jake Lloyd's acting. I can deal with Jar Jar and most of the other stuff. The story, imo, is fine. Inconsistencies between the PT and OT can be explained with not big stretch. For example, when Leia talks about her mother in ROTJ I assume she's remembering Breha Organa who died when Leia was really young, not Padme.

The kid, however, drive's me nuts.

Regarding Leia that may be the case. Which means she died before Alderaan blew up. Years later in the novel Tatooine ghost Leia accepts the fact that Vader wasnt always bad and I think learns of Padme too.

Jake couldnt act but the argument with SW you dont need to Laughing but in all seriousness he was annoying.

For me the movie was very slow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Breha died before Alderaan blew up. That's established and is C canon. In fact, she was having health issues as far back as the Clone Wars. While Wookie says she almost certainly died in the destruction of Alderaan that's outdated. I believe it's the Rebel Force books that establish Breha as having died when Leia was young.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Cerrinea wrote:
Breha died before Alderaan blew up. That's established and is C canon. In fact, she was having health issues as far back as the Clone Wars. While Wookie says she almost certainly died in the destruction of Alderaan that's outdated. I believe it's the Rebel Force books that establish Breha as having died when Leia was young.

It certainly beats the idea that Leia remembered Padme. She was only seconds with her and could not have possibly remembered.

It has to be Breha she remembered which means when Luke asked her did she remember her real mother she was incorrect when she said yes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Here's my take on the original trilogy:

A New Hope: This movie, to put it simply was revolutionary. It took all of the gadgets, planets, alien species, and robots found in Science Fiction of the era, and turned it into an epic. No more dystopian societies where humans have imploded with the advancements of technology, no more depressing endings, and no more of that dreary feeling that was associated with the Science Fiction of the time. A New Hope created this vast universe that was appealing to everyone, and still is today. A timeless classic, and undoubtedly one of the best movies of all-time.

The Empire Strikes Back
: Empire takes the grounds of ANH and continues to develop the Star Wars universe and characters in such an astounding and convincing way that shows the mastery of the story being told by the films. Not only do we see romantic development, we see that the good guys don't always win, and that there's more than just good vs. evil at work here in this world, and that movies like this don't have to be all action to be enjoyable. It is undoubtedly well-rounded and another amazing feat.

Return of the Jedi: Personally, I love Return of the Jedi. While most may find a problem with the Ewoks (I don't, as they show a great reflection between the ragtag minutemen and British soldiers of the Revolutionary War), I see Return of the Jedi as the well-rounded conclusion to the greatest saga of all-time. It fills in the space battles not seen in Empire and shows the flaws of oligarchies and the determination of the human spirit. All with near-flawless acting and battle scenes and a continuous forming of the Star Wars universe.

The original trilogy are such great movies that when the CGI-laden, poorly casted, predictable plots of the new trilogy rolled around, no one was satisfied with them. And for good reason, as this is definitely the greatest trilogy in the history of movies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 2 of 2