One Thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Mara's death, Mara's death, Mara's death! You really had to ask? Crying or Very sad

I second this. I'd have liked it if Zahn could have done many more novels involving Mara. I really liked how Zahn was developing things and I'm disappointed that they closed off that avenue. Who knows how many awesome novels he could have written post-Thrawn trilogy if Mara had been kept alive?

As for a fun plot twist: Revan not redeeming himself (aka cannonize the Dark Side ending to KOTOR).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Ah. Aha!

Well, blaster bolts, what are we waiting for? Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Expanded Universe has become waaaayyyy too Jedi focused since the prequels. Having Tenel Ka in her current position offers more story opportunities that the writers simply don't even attempt, because all they're interested in is doing lightsaber battles and whatnot. Leia worked as chief of state of the New Republic and not as a Jedi, so the fault is entirely on the writers for not using Tenel Ka effectively.

Heck, they made Leia a Jedi simply to foster their Jedi-centric writing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I love Jedi so I can't say anything. If it weren't for Jedi I don't knowif I'd like Star Wars, at least as much as I do.

@Darth Skuldren: I see what you're saying now. I guess if the Queen Mother was a warrior queen things would be different but, alas, she's stuck in an endless bureaucracy.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Could they do a trilogy of her fighting off her political foes? A story about how she is a Jedi lackey???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like Jedi as well, my favorite story in the EU is Jacen's hero's journey in the New Jedi Order series. But as the EU has progressed, starting with that series, the role of non-Jedi characters has become increasingly small. At the start of the EU, Han was the smuggler, Luke was the Jedi, and Leia was the diplomat. Now Luke and Leia are both Jedi and Han is handcuffed to Leia 24/7, and generally does nothing. Jaina is a Jedi, Ben is a Jedi. I wouldn't be surprised if the focus on the Jedi isn't mandated due to sales, TBH.

I suppose the situation with Tenel Ka also speaks to the apparent difficulty the current writers are having with utilizing all the characters. Notice that Artoo and Threepio also generally sit on the sideline, particularly in LOTF, though Allston has given them some stuff to do in FOTJ.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
I like Jedi as well, my favorite story in the EU is Jacen's hero's journey in the New Jedi Order series. But as the EU has progressed, starting with that series, the role of non-Jedi characters has become increasingly small. At the start of the EU, Han was the smuggler, Luke was the Jedi, and Leia was the diplomat.

I never liked Han or Leia's characterizations in the Bantam days though. Wink

I can see what you're saying but it just isn't something that bothers me personally.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
LivingJediDream wrote:
I like Jedi as well, my favorite story in the EU is Jacen's hero's journey in the New Jedi Order series. But as the EU has progressed, starting with that series, the role of non-Jedi characters has become increasingly small. At the start of the EU, Han was the smuggler, Luke was the Jedi, and Leia was the diplomat.

I can see what you're saying but it just isn't something that bothers me personally.

As compared to what? They're fine in NJO, and follow those same roles. The characters are at their best in the films. The novels closest to the films have them characterized closest to the films, with some exceptions, e.g. TCoPL has Luke much more mystical and less grounded than HTTE. All the characterizations kind of suck in TCoPL, TBH. I'm thinking more along the lines of Zahn when I speak for Bantam.

Last edited by Crash Override on Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Leia felt "off" to me in some of the old Bantam stuff, but not nearly as off as just about everyone was in most of LOTF, but especially Luke, Han and Leia. Gah.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Leia felt "off" to me in some of the old Bantam stuff, but not nearly as off as just about everyone was in most of LOTF, but esepcially Luke, Han and Leia. Gah.

I thought Leia was especially annoying in the Black Fleet trilogy. She looked completely incompetent as chief of state. But Han was a million times better in ANY Bantam novel than he is in LOTF/FOTJ. Luke was kind of messed up between Children of the Jedi through The New Rebellion. Still not as bad as LOTF or FOTJ.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LOTF was ghastly. But I think Han's in fine form in FOTJ, particularly when Allston's handling him. Btw, Allston is the master at bringing in all kinds of characters which he did again in Conviction.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
LOTF was ghastly. But I think Han's in fine form in FOTJ, particularly when Allston's handling him. Btw, Allston is the master at bringing in all kinds of characters which he did again in Conviction.

I think Allston does a great job with what's given to him. He seems to be the only one that uses R2 and 3PO, and his books generally give Han and Leia something to actually do.

I need to re-read Solo Command to see Allston's treatment of Han in that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Reepicheep wrote:
LivingJediDream wrote:

I agree with Reep on the non-Zahn Bantam days. I was really starting to dislike the Big Three by the time the NJO came around and saved Star Wars. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I find it curious that my initial point about the narratives being dominated by the Jedi and their concerns has turned toward disliking Bantam characterizations.

And I don't think that really undercuts the general point: in Bantam, we had non-Jedi characters that opened avenues for storytelling that aren't used any longer. This could still be accomplished, even now with Leia as a Jedi and Han handcuffed to her, through different characters, but it's not.

And the NJO did still maintain this. Han had a duology featuring him primarily, with minimal Jedi involvement. Allston's duology also heavily featured non-Jedi characters.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

LivingJediDream wrote:
I find it curious that my initial point about the narratives being dominated by the Jedi and their concerns has turned toward disliking Bantam characterizations.

Yeah Bantam is an old and getting really tired discussion. Been there, done that, over it.

LJD, I do get your point about Jedi domination, but as I said, Allston helps rectify that in Conviction.

Also, Jedi are one of the central themes of Star Wars, and they're kind of hard to not be a part of it. Personally, I don't really like stories that don't have Jedi in them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 4 of 9