Sue Rostoni Retiring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue Rostoni Retiring
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

StarWars.com announced yesterday that Sue Rostoni, Executive Editor at Lucas Licensing, will be retiring in July. Sue has worked as an editor of Star Wars fiction for over 20 years.

I've shared my thoughts here: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/10742

What do you all think about Sue's retirement?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I am not a happy fan at the moment. Say what you will about the state of the EU at the moment - I personally don't feel it's as bad as some make it out to be - I feel she did a great job, and it was better under her leadership. Besides, I remember her being on the sw.com message boards, and how she was always so approachable. Certainly in the few times I spoke to her.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*salutes*

We'll miss you, Sue.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote  

Hope she's has fun with all the new free time she'll be having. Wonder if she has any writing aspirations?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow, Star Wars Novels without Sue at the helm is almost unimaginable to me Sad
Nothing but respect from me for all her work and her keeping in touch with the community like she did.

We'll miss you Sue and wish you all the best.

(I'm wondering who will take Sue's place, though.)

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bye Sue, I liked the way you ran things and am now a tad worried.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

To elaborate on what I said in the chat box, my fears are for the future of the EU, and that she's retiring doesn't surprise me and is also sort of circumstantial evidence of what I suspect. I just can't imagine what the EU will be like in five years, let alone ten. Perhaps it will die down a bit, and then we'll get a second coming of something like Heir to the Empire that completely reinvigorates interest in the franchise.

On the other hand, she's been in her position since the beginning of the EU (HTTE), if I'm not mistaken, so maybe she's simply retiring from work, rather than anything relating to Star Wars or the current state of the EU, and there's nothing to worry about.

I'm kind of curious to see if they do what I want to see, and get someone like Luceno (if he would have it) to replace her and change the parameters of the position and give him some ability to influence the direction that the EU goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have no idea what Sue's age might be. But I was under the impression that she was "just" retiring from work.
That doesn't mean I'm not a tad bit worried about this news too.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I now worry about the future of the EU. I love Sue and all her hard work. I fear that the next person to fill her position will destroy the EU with their lack of knowledge. I have my fingers crossed that this does not happen though. Mr. Chee is my trump card in all of this. Hopefully the EU will stay in good shape. I am sad that Sue is leaving. I don't know if its just me, but it seems like the EU is going down with the message boards closing on TOS and Sue leaving. I don't see any good coming out of all this personally. Granted all the novels and comics still being released which is great, but the EU has been kicked a lot lately.

-YOU REBEL SCUM!
-Through victory my chains are broken.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Anyone think it possible that a new editor might push for a reboot?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

It is possible that a new editor would ruin the EU, yes.
A rebooot would scare a big portion of the current readers away without really generating a new batch of fans to replace them.

What most people don't seem to realize and George Lucas is with them is that a relatively small group of loyal fans is buying the bulk of the books and comics.
An example of this is Crimson Empire III. If Dark Horse didn't know that the same people that bought Crimson Empire I and II are still reading SW-comics today they would have never continued this series after 11 or 12 years.....
It's the loyal fans that keep the franchise alive by buying (almost) everything Star Wars. The occasional fans/buyers are not the ones that keep the cash flowing in and its that group that deserves some consideration from the powers that be.
I think a reboot of the EU would be the sign for a lot of old time fans that it's time to quit and I think that both Del Rey and Dark Horse (or even George Lucas with the way he butchers everything EU) will have a real hard time finding new fans that would be as dedicated.

And that's what has got me scared for the future of the EU....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

NO

REBOOTS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah! What's up with the reboots already?
Are that all the younger fans that are just thinking "screw those long-time fans and start all over just because I started reading Star Wars Novels just now."?
And then what? In five years reboot again?
If it turns out the reboot has disappointing sales we turn everything back?

I'm 100% with Wookie_Inked.

NO REBOOTS !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

I can hope. Were it me, I'd wait until Return of the Jedi was released in 3D and then do a reboot, though.

Also I've been a fan since Heir to the Empire (or The Glove of Darth Vader), so I'm not a young fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
Yeah! What's up with the reboots already?
Are that all the younger fans that are just thinking "screw those long-time fans and start all over just because I started reading Star Wars Novels just now."?
And then what? In five years reboot again?

That's exactly it. One thing that would be nice about a reboot is that things would be more consistent and clean but, like you said, the EU will quickly become another retconned quagmire.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2