Reboots
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reboots
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote  

So some people (perhaps a lot of people) are adverse to the idea of a Star Wars reboot. I'm a very open minded fan, so I'm not against it myself. But that's because I can see the potential for a reboot.

First off, a reboot does not necessarily mean the end of the current story line. A reboot means the story gets to rewind and spin off in an entirely new direction. Look at the last Star Trek film. It's the reason everyone is talking reboots...because it worked. It was fun, it was unpredictable, and people want more. It generated interest and snagged new fans because it wasn't tied down in a plethora of existing content. It could go anywhere it wanted, and the viewers didn't have to know anything about Star Trek to enjoy it.

Now that doesn't mean a Star Wars reboot is a guaranteed success. They could mess it up. But it's the possibilities they could go after that catches my interest. Take a look at Mara's change one thing thread...a reboot could do all those things. Want to retell the Thrawn Trilogy but Thrawn lives this time? Done. Want Anakin to survive the NJO? Done. Jacen doesn't go dark this time? Done. Mara lives? A given.

Depending on how far they go back, a reboot could retell all the stories we loved in a completely new light. All the things we hated could be undone. All the things we loved could remain. But it's unlikely that a reboot would follow to closely to the old EU. They wouldn't simply retell the old books. But then again, they probably wouldn't throw away all that good material either, and some of the best stuff would get incorporated in the new material.

Maybe George decides to play around after ROTJ. He wants to tell the story of Luke and Mara, Han, Leia, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin the way he would have done it. What would he do differently? To me, it would be worth it just to see how George would tell the tale.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This was my primary draw toward the idea of the reboot five to ten years ago, alongside meshing the post-film stuff better with the prequels. Now, however, I think there needs to be a reboot simply for the Expanded Universe to continue existing. I don't think stories not featuring Han, Luke, and Leia can carry the load, and the potential for stories featuring them has really run its course.

I would hope if it is rebooted that there is a lot more oversight, but also a lot less direct control, sort of a mixture between the Bantam and Del Rey philosophies. I like the general oversight Del Rey provides, but I don't find their "collective" storytelling outside the NJO to be particularly good or desirable. Now I think you need someone that knows the universe in and out like Luceno to act in a capacity similar to Lucas does on TCW. And he was, it's my understanding, the nominal "head" of the creative team for the NJO. So...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm rather against it. The Original Trilogy are classic films and I'd be afraid that a reboot would ruin what made them great.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I'm rather against it. The Original Trilogy are classic films and I'd be afraid that a reboot would ruin what made them great.

I took it he meant an EU reboot? Did I misread? I'm definitely opposed to redoing the films.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Ah, perhaps it was I who read it too broadly. I'd be opposed to an EU reboot, as well, simply because I would feel.....cheated. I've spent so much time with the current continuity that, despite its flaws, I have an attachment to it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Definitley agree. True it was sad to see characters go but would we really want them to just come back to life? Somehow I wouldn't.

I'm always loking at this from a different perspective because LotF was my intro into the EU so i didn't get mad at it then and I'm not mad at it now. In the future I may feel differently but right now I would be strongly opposed to an EU reboot.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As I stated several times before, with al the reasons why if feel this way:

NO REBOOTS

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

no reboots

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I waver on the subject of a continuity reboot. On the one hand, doing so feels like it would taint the effort I've put in to stay on top of things, but on the other ...

I'm honestly not all that attached to the EU after Unifying Force. It's become so dark and gritty that it's no longer the escapist entertainment I used to love and identify with. I suppose because of that, I don't have nearly as strong an attachment to the continuity that I used to have.

So, if the EU were to get a reboot to, say, just after TUF ended, I may not be thrilled, but I don't think I would be angry or upset.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote  

To clarify I meant a reboot of the EU, not the films.

Plus I don't think a reboot is actually necessary for the EU to continue. Like it or not, Karen Traviss' Republic commando books were rather successful without the big 3 and they were even anit-Jedi to boot. Karypyshyn has had a lot of success with the Bane Trilogy, and those actually star badguys. There's the TOR books, the KOTOR comics (and upcoming Revan novel), the Legacy comics, and for the most part, even the X-Wing books didn't star the big 3. Han, Luke, and Leia are not essential to the EU.

Now the way I see a reboot, it would be a lot like the infinities stories. I still think it could be fun and that it could work. And the way people are talking about reboots, there's a good chance we might see one, like it or not.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Plus I don't think a reboot is actually necessary for the EU to continue. Like it or not, Karen Traviss' Republic commando books were rather successful without the big 3 and they were even anit-Jedi to boot. Karypyshyn has had a lot of success with the Bane Trilogy, and those actually star badguys. There's the TOR books, the KOTOR comics (and upcoming Revan novel), the Legacy comics, and for the most part, even the X-Wing books didn't star the big 3. Han, Luke, and Leia are not essential to the EU.

I think that remains to be seen. How many people would have read those books and comics if they also weren't reading books about Han, Luke, and Leia? I wouldn't. I only read them as a matter of being a completionist, so to speak, but the reason I keep coming back to the EU is to read about Han, Luke, and Leia, and the continuation of their story, which lately has gone down the drain.

I'm saying once those books stop, I think a lot of people will stop bothering with Star Wars books. Maybe not the demographic of people that post here, but I know I would, and I know people that already have simply because of the quality of the stories featuring Han, Luke, and Leia.

Edit: And to elaborate, I think the Han, Luke, and Leia stories offers a mainstream appeal that is pretty much common across all types of Star Wars fans. Republic Commando, for instance, appeals mainly to Fandalorians, military SF, and Traviss fans, but has a lot of people that aren't fans. Their appeal isn't as widespread. And I don't think the EU can survive without that backbone of stories that can appeal to everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote  

Well I can speak for myself. I read the Bane Trilogy because I love Sith. The chance to get to read a book that starred the Sith deeply appealed to me. Also, I read the Republic Commando books at of great reluctance. I thought it was just a game tie-in novel. But once I read it, I thought it was great.

In fact, when I read Crosscurrent, one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was because it didn't have the big 3 in it. Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I'm tired of reading about the big 3. I'd personally enjoy and EU focused without them in the center of things, and just have occasional books that starred them.

Now, I also have a cousin I got started on Star Wars books. I hooked him up with the Thrawn trilogy a few years ago and he's been steadily reading Star Wars books since then. He hasn't read as many as me, but he did read LOTF, and he's been staying up with FOTJ. But he was a big fan of the Republic Commando books and the Bane Trilogy.

See, we're Star Wars fans, but we're also gamers. We both came off of KOTOR and were starving for a Star Wars fix. Bane, RC, etc delivered on that.

It makes me curious though. I for one could live without the big 3 in future EU books. Does anyone else feel the same way?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Now the way I see a reboot, it would be a lot like the infinities stories. I still think it could be fun and that it could work. And the way people are talking about reboots, there's a good chance we might see one, like it or not.

Unless I'm mistaken all this talk about reboots is pure speculation. I fully expect a new editor to take Sue Rostoni's place and continue the plan.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
It makes me curious though. I for one could live without the big 3 in future EU books. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I would have if Jacen wasn't completely derailed and ruined. I'm not really interested in what they got going now. If they reboot everything after TUF, and kept Jacen around I could get behind that. I just can't understand... they had the perfect transition set up. This is like Alien 3 killing Newt and Hicks in the opening credits.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
To clarify I meant a reboot of the EU, not the films.

Thank you, Skuls! I agree completely. I could kiss you! But I'm not, because that's not my orientation. I'm just not attracted to Darths Laughing .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 6