The Death of CDs?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Death of CDs?!
 PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Keep in mind this is second-hand information, but I've heard that CDs are going to become obsolete in 2-3 years and MP3 files will be king. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would be seriously upset if this comes to pass. I mean I want to buy stuff, not nice-sounding air. I want to go to a store, buy a CD and proudly display it. Technological progress can usually be counted on for quality-improvement, but MP3 files are inferior to compact discs in my opinion. Sure they take up no room (but is that a good thing?) and they're cheaper, but come one!

If this was CDs paving way for a new medium (like tapes did for CDs) I wouldn't have a problem with this, but as it is, I'm upset. Evil or Very Mad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I have no idea if it's an official plan, but there is no doubt in my mind that it will happen someday in the near future. Just like records and VHS tapes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Personally I don't think it will be too long until we're downloading everything, to the point that Blu-Ray dies out. Maybe 10 years.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I will be sad if CDs are completely done away with. Downloading is easy, but sometimes I want a hard copy with liner notes and such.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll point out that Vinyl Records are a thing of the past, but they are selling almost as good now as they ever did thanks to the "we're cooler than you" crowd (I'm part of it, I'll admit, I have a couple records) so I think CD's will always be available, just less so than before. Best Buy isn't carrying much backstock anymore, they're phasing CDs out for the most part. But for those of us who love liner notes, they will always be attainable in some form Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I find this ridiculously sad, but inevitable.

"All things die, Anakin Skywalker. Even stars burn out."

Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
Personally I don't think it will be too long until we're downloading everything, to the point that Blu-Ray dies out. Maybe 10 years.

Isn't this why SW took so long to come to blu-ray? I recall a Sansweet interview where he said they weren't sure blu-ray would last long before it was supplanted by digital downloads and VOD.

I have to wonder whether the desire of people to own a physical copy will be overcome by the expediency of digital copies. I didn't think Steam would be a success over brick and mortar stores back when it was released in 2003 but look at it now. iTunes also has been successful.

Eventually, I think Internet TV will advance to the point that there's an equivalent for films. And I thought iTunes had pretty much already supplanted compact discs. I haven't bought one in a long, long time. My cousin still buys them though. We were at Best Buy the other day, and I noticed how small Best Buy's music section is now compared to the past.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote  

I hope CDs don't die out. Downloading a song is good if its the only one you want, but for things like soundtracks where you probably will want the whole thing I want a CD.

I also don't think CDs will totally die out, I would think CD reproductions of old vinyl albums can generate a good amount of cash. For example, take any Beatles album odds are sales wouldn't be as good if it was a download only because people want the status of having a CD with the original album art and/or booklets to put on display for their friends to see.

Plus special "collector's editions" wouldn't be nearly as special in a download only format (what are you going to show your friends? A digital download that says "collector's edition" isn't nearly as impressive as a hard copy). So if nothing else they will keep CDs around for that kind of marketing.

Re: The Death of CDs?!
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Keep in mind this is second-hand information, but I've heard that CDs are going to become obsolete in 2-3 years and MP3 files will be king. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would be seriously upset if this comes to pass. I mean I want to buy stuff, not nice-sounding air. I want to go to a store, buy a CD and proudly display it. Technological progress can usually be counted on for quality-improvement, but MP3 files are inferior to compact discs in my opinion. Sure they take up no room (but is that a good thing?) and they're cheaper, but come one!

If this was CDs paving way for a new medium (like tapes did for CDs) I wouldn't have a problem with this, but as it is, I'm upset. Evil or Very Mad

Think about this- there is still a large portion of Americans who don't even use the internet. So there have to be a large amount not using MP3 in their cars, I can see CDs and DVDs being around for a long while- even if they stop being the mainstream choice. We've not 100% phased out VHS- you can still get a DVD VHS combo kit and tapes for them still too. As well as the VCR. So even though MP3s are the wave- I could see many people turning around and burning the mp3 onto a cd to listen to in their car or work cd player.

But yeah it'll be too hard to kill it off completely.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I am a tech-head of the highest degree, but one thing I do not have is an iPod. I still happily listen to CDs in my car. I generally burn EUCast onto a CD to listen to while I drive to school every week.

I think it would be silly to assume that the majority of the world can plug an iPod into their car radio. Because there are still quite a few of us that don't have one.

Until the average car radio can link up to the internet and download songs, CDs are still fairly safe, or so I would think. I can see them eventually going the way of the record, but I don't think they'll ever be as bad off as the 8-track. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I love buying Cd's. I like when I buy the CD it comes with a little book that has the Lyrics in it, who plays what, who wrote what, who the band thanks, what type of musical instruments they play to get the best sound, who produced the album, where it was recorded etc. I will love the fact when the Internet and MP3 technology crashes I will be on a few who has the physical thing in my hand. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Along the same topic:

DVD and game rental company Blockbuster went bankrupt in the US in September 2010 and Blockbuster Canada just went bankrupt last month. A number of Canadian Blockbuster stores have been closed, and other video stores have also started closing locations. This is due, in part, to a loss of market share to VOD services (Netflix and the services of local cable and satellite providers) and the internet (both legal VOD and pirating).

1- Has the trend of video rental stores closing been happening in your location too?

2- What are your thoughts on the decline of video rental stores?

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hollywood Video has gone out of business, and some Blockbuster stores are closing, but now Blockbuster is doing its own online rental service like Netflix and it's doing its own kiosk rental service like Redbox. I think Redbox is what's really killing Blockbuster because you're renting a DVD for one night for $1, and you only watch a movie once so you only need it one night, whereas Blockbuster and other rental companies have been bilking customers for years by not giving that option and requiring a 5 or 7 or whatever day rental period with a larger price tag attached. And Redbox is a lot easier for computer illiterate people to operate than Netflix. Although my grandparents use Netflix and get four discs at a time and just use that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The local Blockbuster in my city is still there, though I haven't been there in ages. But it does look busy, every time I go past (which, admittedly, isn't often).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've officially stopped downloading. I don't have anything against the concept of downloading so I won't call it a boycott but I just really don't want hard copies to go away. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2