Star Wars and History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars and History
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote  

The first book in a proposed series that would also include science and politics, Star Wars and History will gather various essays that compare how history found it's way into the Star Wars saga. You can read more about it here

I think this could be a pretty interesting book to see just what sort of historical elements were in Star Wars. And it certainly helps that they've got George Lucas' support.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sounds pretty cool. Star Wars and history... Two of my favorite things combined in one! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote  

Well I got a chance to read this book, and I was disappointed. As a lover of both Star Wars and history, this seemed like a good bet, however the format of the book didn't work very well.

The book is composed of 11 essays written almost entirely by professors and teachers. Unfortunately all of those essays read like your typical college essays...they're not very entertaining. While the book certainly covers a lot of different comparisons between historical places, people, and themes with corresponding ones in Star Wars, none of them are covered in much depth, so you don't get much out of it. It's a good way to expand your horizons perhaps to comparisons you never thought of or people you are unfamiliar with, but you won't really learn much about any of them.

The book also has pictures, most black and white. It's a nicely bound hardcover, over 300 pages, with a good index and a section for notes. If you're looking for Star Wars trivia, you'll find very little. All in all, it's not a book I would recommend to anyone unless your looking for a good source for ideas.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, the cover looks pretty impressive, you got to owe it that! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It sure is pretty! And like you said SW and history together nothing beats that

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1