Request for advice on how to sell SW collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting View previous topic :: View next topic  
Request for advice on how to sell SW collection
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I've been thinking about it for several years...to sell my entire SW collection (minus a few pieces that I and my son want to keep for sentimental reasons). My wife and I are trying to cut back on "stuff". Our kids will be out of the house in a couple years and we'd like to downsize. So, we're starting now.

So you can make an informed "suggestion", here's a little background about my collection:

- I started collecting in 1977 (when I was 7 years old), so the bulk of my collection is vintage.
- All of my toys are in pretty good shape, but most are loose out of the box.
- In the 90's I started keeping things unopened in the box.
- Growing up, I'd get everything I could with SW on it.
- It's not just toys. I have records, posters, bedsheets, blankets, curtains, pencils, coloring books, mugs, banks, porcelain figures, video tapes, books, comics (all Marvel, most Dark Horse), computer games, etc.
- My toy collecting stopped when my kids were young (it was a financial decision), but I kept up with the books, comics, and games...to this day.
- I have a few items from Germany and Japan.

I used to have my collection set up on shelves in my bedroom as a kid. (I was even in the local newspaper in 1983 for my large collection). However, when I went to college, my father took everything down, individually wrapped it in newspaper, and placed it in long rectangular plastic storage containers. Over the years, after college, as my collection grew, it too went into storage containers to follow me around from home to home.

I have never catalogued the collection, but know pretty much what I have. For example, all but Yak Face from the Kenner vintage figures, all but the Skiff for the vintage ships, etc.

What I'd like to do is sell it in one lot vice piecemeal.

So...any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

On the one hand, that is so sad! On the other...

...what is your asking price? Shocked

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, you could always give it to me, I'll be sure to 'find' a good home for it all Wink

Your collection does sound very comprehensive and quite varied - for that reason I'm not sure if you'll be able to sell it all in one go.

But other than that, you could try eBay and Amazon. Craigslist, too, if that's possible in your location.

You could set up a stall at a car boot sale. I'm not sure where you're located, but tables are very cheap in my area. That may be worth looking in to.

Alternatively, leaving an ad in your local newspaper in the Buy/Sell section.

The only other avenue I can think of is to go to your local geeky-type and toy stores, see if they're interested in buying anything in your collection. Or if they don't want to buy it, maybe ask if you could display some (where you could pay upfront or they could get a cut) or leave a flyer up in the store for further enquiries.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
On the one hand, that is so sad! On the other...

...what is your asking price? Shocked

Thank you. It's not really sad. I got enjoyment out of it from about age 7 to 18. And my 20's and 30's were filled with lots of SW comics (Dark Horse) and books. People always saw me with a SW book in hand. Even my dentist, to this day, comments about me having a SW book when I come it (gotta have something to do while I'm waiting for the anesthesia to take effect). After I graduated high school, I never really had a "SW" room, so my collection stayed in the containers in either the attic or the basement. Only the books and comics were able to be displayed on shelves. When my kids got older (yes, I raised two SW loving kids, one is in the Rebel Legion (jedi costume...Jysella Horn) and the other will be joining next year as a X-Wing pilot) they both enjoyed going through dad's SW collection. I let them pick a few things that they want to keep. I am keeping a few pieces, but it's time for the rest to find a new home.

I'm not really sure what to ask for it all. Years ago I used to guess that it was worth at least $5K, but it has grown since then. I think I really do need to look through it again and try to get a rough idea of what it may be worth. Maybe I'll try to do that over New Year's weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Life Is The Path wrote:
Your collection does sound very comprehensive and quite varied - for that reason I'm not sure if you'll be able to sell it all in one go.

*nods* yes. Both comprehensive and varied. For varied, I have stuff from household goods like bedding, curtains, soaps, toothbrushes, tape dispensers, coin banks, pencils, erasers, mugs, drinking glasses, etc. to posters, records, models, porcelain figurines, and of course toys. Most, if not all, of my vintage collection of toys was opened...though not vigorously played with (if that makes any sense). At first my brother and I played with the action figures, but not too long he moved on to other toys and I started just to collect them and display them. Even though they are all opened, I do still have all of the weapons and such for each one! I even have the boxes for some of the other stuff. For comprehensive...I have all of the Micro Collection, all of the ships and vehicles (except for the Desert Skiff), all the figures except for Yak Face, etc. I should try to take some pics and post them.

Life Is The Path wrote:
But other than that, you could try eBay and Amazon. Craigslist, too, if that's possible in your location.

Can you sell whole collections on eBay and/or Craigslist? Yes, Craigslist is an option. We sold a couch through Craigslist several years ago.

Life Is The Path wrote:
You could set up a stall at a car boot sale. I'm not sure where you're located, but tables are very cheap in my area. That may be worth looking in to.

I'm not sure what a "car boot sale" is, but I'm guessing it's like a Flea Market sort of thing. The problem with that would be selling everything piecemeal so that I'd have to know what everything individually was worth. I don't really have the time for that much research. I was thinking more like $5 for each loose figure (with weapons and the card back if I have it...which I do still have some) times X number of figures would be $X for the lot. Some of those figures would be worth less than $5, and others would be worth more than $5, so it would average out.

Life Is The Path wrote:
Alternatively, leaving an ad in your local newspaper in the Buy/Sell section.

Hmmm...that's a good idea. I may even start with that. If I don't get a buyer after a couple weeks, I can try Craigslist...then eBay. The goal would be to try local first, then expand the search.

Life Is The Path wrote:
The only other avenue I can think of is to go to your local geeky-type and toy stores, see if they're interested in buying anything in your collection. Or if they don't want to buy it, maybe ask if you could display some (where you could pay upfront or they could get a cut) or leave a flyer up in the store for further enquiries.

We used to have a couple stores like that, but they all went out of business so I don't think this one will be an option.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would call myself a pretty well educated collector of vintage star wars. The only reason I'd say not extremely well is because I haven't bought or sold anything for a couple years and I'm not up on current value. I'm told that the new movie anticipation has driven up the demand for vintage star wars items, so now would be a prime time to sell.

I can tell you that a ballpark for your Yak Face, sight unseen, would be in the $200 dollar range. *edit* oh, I see you don't have one. too bad.

First of all are you interested in trying to maximize your value, or just get rid of the items and make a little money? That is a serious question because it will effect how to go about it.

If you want to sell it all in one go, Craigslist is the best way. Ebay fees and shipping will not make it worth it, unless it is a screaming deal for the buyer. Craigslist has problems too, because it's limited to your area. You will also probably see a drop in value from what you'd get on ebay.

I bought a large collection like yours from a guy on craigslist, and I know that he had a hard time selling it. He had relisted it several times and lowered his prices.

If you want to maximize value, selling the pieces individually would be the best. I would recommend doing this for the more valuable pieces, and then selling off the less valuable stuff as a set.

The toys will probably be the most valuable items. For the vintage figures, if you have the weapons, they average loose in the ten to 20 dollar range. Around 20 to 40 for the vehicles. Yes, not a huge value for opened toys. In the package will be worth considerably more.

There are some websites that would be the best place to sell them. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to link to other sites on here. I'll PM you if not.

For the toys from the nineties, I'm sorry to say they are worth almost nothing. I'm talking like a couple dollars IN the package.

Original posters can be valuable, but it really depends on what they are.

I really don't know about the micro collection, sorry that is not my thing.

For the rest it varies a lot. Most of the household/novelty type items are not all that desirable/valuable.

If you would like my help in appraising any of your items, I would be happy to.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Cool! Thanks for the tips!

I'm kinda in between. I want to sell it, but not at "yard sale prices". I don't need to make top dollar for it though. I'm gonna give local a try and see how it goes. Whatever I can't sell locally I'll try eBay or something. If you have better alternatives to eBay, PM me.

Based on the suggestions and tips from you all, I'm thinking breaking it up into "lots" may be my best compromise. I'll see what I can do to get some pics so you can get a better idea of the volume.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

PS. Here are the most valuable loose vintage SW figures

Jawa with vinyl cape. Around $400 dollars. You would need to get it authenticated by an expert. Or just hope to hook a sucker on ebay.

Luke Skywalker with two part "double telescoping" light saber. Not sure on the price but I assume it compares to the Jawa, maybe more.

Blue Snaggletooth. $180.

Boba Fett $40. Not really worth it at all, but people will pay it due to the popularity of the character.

Any of the POTF toys, the ones that came with the coins. $40 to $50 with weapon. Coins worth 5 to ten, but some are worth more.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I don't have the caped Jawa (ironically, I saw it but didn't get it, then later saw the cloth one and got that one). Never saw the Luke with the double saber. I did get the Sears exclusive Cantina set with the four aliens (how you get the Blue Snaggletooth). I still have the cardboard back drop and the original four figures (loose...of course). And I had 3 Boba Fett's. Gave one to a friend as a gift.

I have several (more than 3 though) ones with the coins. For those I still have the cards (just no bubble). I also have earlier cards, but some of those have the proof of purchase seal cut out (had to in order to get 4-LOM, Ackbar (with Revenge of the Jedi insert) and survival gear pack...which was the only way to get the blue backpack for Yoda and the breath masks for the Falcon).

Oh, and I have a few of the Droids and Ewoks figures as well. To include the Boba Fett on the Droids card.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Skywalker2B wrote:

Can you sell whole collections on eBay and/or Craigslist? Yes, Craigslist is an option. We sold a couch through Craigslist several years ago.

I collect *cough* Pokemon cards */cough*, and often see whole collections sold all-together, so I see no reason why it can't be done here. Though I have to admit that I see other sellers showing their full collection and allowing you to buy select pieces from it.

Life Is The Path wrote:

Quote:
I'm not sure what a "car boot sale" is, but I'm guessing it's like a Flea Market sort of thing.

That's funny, because I don't know what a Flea Market is! But if what google tells me is accurate, then yes, they're pretty much the same thing. Maybe, since Dog is offering to help price your items, that may be a possibility.

Good luck!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If the collection is that big and that valuable, have you considered looking into a consignment store? Like, you give it to them, they sell it (because they're the experts at selling), and then give you some (but not all) of the money? Or you sell it to them, probably for less than it's worth, and they sell it as they see fit (either together or apart, to the collector market) for a reasonable profit?

The benefit here is that, while you'll probably get more by selling it yourself, it's a lot of work to do that. You don't know the collector's market, you have an idea what things are worth but you're probably not a professional salesperson, and you want to sell it all together, which may limit who would actually buy it. You get a good cut of money, while the person actually doing the work gets a profit.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I live in a "historic" area where all of the consignment stores are almost exclusively antiques. Their clientele are generally not looking for SW items. There is now only one "hobby" shop around where I live and it deals mostly with models and RC cars and planes. So, I don't think this would work for me although it sounds like a great idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Collecting

Page 1 of 1