Star Wars: Scourge by Jeff Grubb (Hutt novel)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote  

LightsaberRattling wrote:
I want to see some Mama the Hutt Laughing

Mama the Hutt? Is that the insanely huge mother of Ziro? I'm not sure I want to see more of her Laughing

@Reep: well there's Jabba's son. He was never mentioned before and he's a loose end. There may have been some other issues/factors with the new Hutts they showed but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to their names and backgrounds.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
How have they changed it? I'm not a Hutt expert.

The big change is the Hutt's mortality. They were very VERY hard to kill, they were hard to poison, and their skin was hard to pierce. As villains before you couldn't "just blast him" kind of thing. And most Hutts seen were hundreds of years old. IIRC the youth would ride on the parent for the first 100 or so years. It's not a major change, but it does effect how the species is perceived.

Before they were super old, now they can be bumped easily and it no longer takes so long for them to reach maturity so their rarity is somewhat diminished. I liked how as a species they were so old. Sure some can still be, but these are Hutts- gangsters - how many gangsters off each other for control? TCW made it easy to off a Hutt which reduces the long lifespans- sure we'll still have exemptions to it. But it changes.

Unless they say some of these Hutts were related to the Shell Hutts and thus were weaker skinned cause they should have been wearing shells but out of pride refused. lol

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote  

You know, I haven't given that much thought, but Ziro was killed pretty easily. I'm not sure if I caught that before, but now that I think about it, that was kind of a dumb thing to do.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jabba was killed pretty easily. He couldn't defend himself and was reliant upon others.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hutt fanatic that I am, this book is a MUST READ. The Hutts have never been featured heavily enough in the EU. And all too often the ones that are used are poorly developed character-wise, or they're just Jabba... with different names. I sense this Hutt-centric novel will finally give us a truly exciting portrayal of the slugs that I've been wishing for.

Between this book and the Hutt bosses council seen on TCW, this is a great time to be a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Unless they say some of these Hutts were related to the Shell Hutts and thus were weaker skinned cause they should have been wearing shells but out of pride refused. lol

There's always a retcon for everything!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
How have they changed it? I'm not a Hutt expert.

The big change is the Hutt's mortality. They were very VERY hard to kill, they were hard to poison, and their skin was hard to pierce. As villains before you couldn't "just blast him" kind of thing. And most Hutts seen were hundreds of years old. IIRC the youth would ride on the parent for the first 100 or so years. It's not a major change, but it does effect how the species is perceived.

Before they were super old, now they can be bumped easily and it no longer takes so long for them to reach maturity so their rarity is somewhat diminished. I liked how as a species they were so old. Sure some can still be, but these are Hutts- gangsters - how many gangsters off each other for control? TCW made it easy to off a Hutt which reduces the long lifespans- sure we'll still have exemptions to it. But it changes.

Thanks for the info, IR2. Smile

I thought the retcon had something to do with their culture or the way their crime empire was organized so it isn't as bad as I thought. This is pretty easy to write off.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

indeed it is small. though the small ones tend to get overlooked the longest, so unless they really diverge (which I doubt TCW will besides Ziro and a Hutt in The Valesedian Operation, all Hutts deaths before that were pretty hard core, Leia just gets extra props for killing Jabba with her hands and a chain.

I'd rather that Ziro's death get explained better- like maybe Sy had a very powerful Hutt stopper blaster.... IDK, but yes, the Retcon is our salvation. Unless the retcon adds more problems. Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
I'd rather that Ziro's death get explained better- like maybe Sy had a very powerful Hutt stopper blaster.... IDK, but yes, the Retcon is our salvation. Unless the retcon adds more problems. Laughing

Maybe it's just that you have to know where to aim or that Ziro wasn't as big and fat as a lot of older Hutts and more vulnerable because of it. I tend to think about it that way just to save myself the headaches. Wink

Quote:
Leia just gets extra props for killing Jabba with her hands and a chain.

Come on, we all know a Boba Fett T-shirt really killed Jabba Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxsD0MlrIA
Oh man, that keeps cracking me up! Laughing

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

Re: Star Wars: Scourge by Jeff Grubb (Hutt novel)
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Star Wars Books has been revealing new details about the previously unnamed Hutt novel on their Facebook page. The book will be titled Scourge and will take place before the NJO. It will also include a human Jedi Knight named Mander Zuma and the plot "It's about a murdered Jedi and the investigation into the Hutt's criminal enterprises." Will be a paperback novel, and is planned for release in April 2012.

A little early for discussion, but I do love Hutts Very Happy

Holy nerfherders, Batman! This is awesome!!!!!!!!!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That youtube clip is ace. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

sucks I have to wait till next year to read this book

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote  

Interview with Star Wars: Scourge author Jeff Grubb

http://bit.ly/reDiUy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like what he says about how he views Star Wars stories as either being Jedi stories, War stories, or Scum and Villainy stories. I think there's been way too many Jedi stories at the expense of the other two for the past eight years, so it's good that we're getting Mercy Kill, Shadow Games, and Scourge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote  

You can click here for the details, plus the official blurb, and a wrap around image of the cover.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 9