Star Wars: Scourge by Jeff Grubb (Hutt novel)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That cover looks awesome!

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Shame that they can't find themselves a new lightsaber model though. Getting quite boring seeing Anakin's/Obi-Wan's lightsaber hilts everywhere because they can't be bothered to come up with something different.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote  

I think the cover is pretty good. It's worlds better than some, and I think it's better than Riptide. Course I prefer the style they used with Revan, LSATSOM, and Deceived.

And with the blurb, which I believe is basically the same as the earlier one but with slightly different wording, I think the doubts this Jedi Master has will probably be based on his doubts of whether he did a good enough job in training his apprentice who ends up dying. That would be my bet.

Edit: looking at that lightsaber, it looks just like my FX Darth Vader lightsaber, but with a green blade.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Pretty good cover. Neat layout.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They've used a real picture of a guy in a costume for this cover and then photoshopped it to look as it does.
The reason you keep seeing Anakin's and Obi-wan's sabers is because they all are FX lightsabers. Laughing
And I don't believe Del Ray has a prop departement that will create a custom hilt for every cover. Smile

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Definitely looking forward to reading another book from the "enemies" perspective.. or maybe "employer" in some cases Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm quite liking it. Sure, the tilted wording is a tad showy, but I like the grainy-sharpened look, and the pose.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote  

Anyone else disappointed we didn't see a Hutt on the cover though? Kind of surprising, really. I think the only time a Hutt has made it on a novel cover was one of the Japanese NJO books.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Not so much disappointed. I wasn't surprised. For me, it would have been nice to see a Hutt on the cover, but they probably thought that new time buyers seeing a Hutt on the cover might not find it as appealing as a guy with a shiny lightsabre and looking like he's just about to use it.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
......but they probably thought that new time buyers seeing a Hutt on the cover might not find it as appealing as a guy with a shiny lightsabre and looking like he's just about to use it.

My thoughts exactly. I actually would have been surprised if there where a Hutt on the cover. I kinda guessed that that would have been too much to ask for.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Maybe there will be a Hutt on the back cover.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote  

You know, if they are going to design all the covers with a sales emphasis, they really need to do more character guides with new artwork of the new characters. Companion guides would be really cool. Anything that add artwork and maybe some summary info of battles, new governments/factions/planets. Rather than just doing the occasional guide to blank, a companion guide could specifically focus on recent books, and could combine all the elements in one book (planets/characters/ships/equipment/battles). Plus they could stay current.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
You know, if they are going to design all the covers with a sales emphasis, they really need to do more character guides with new artwork of the new characters. Companion guides would be really cool. Anything that add artwork and maybe some summary info of battles, new governments/factions/planets. Rather than just doing the occasional guide to blank, a companion guide could specifically focus on recent books, and could combine all the elements in one book (planets/characters/ships/equipment/battles). Plus they could stay current.

I would really like to see something like that happen!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
How have they changed it? I'm not a Hutt expert.

The big change is the Hutt's mortality. They were very VERY hard to kill, they were hard to poison, and their skin was hard to pierce. As villains before you couldn't "just blast him" kind of thing. And most Hutts seen were hundreds of years old. IIRC the youth would ride on the parent for the first 100 or so years. It's not a major change, but it does effect how the species is perceived.

Before they were super old, now they can be bumped easily and it no longer takes so long for them to reach maturity so their rarity is somewhat diminished. I liked how as a species they were so old. Sure some can still be, but these are Hutts- gangsters - how many gangsters off each other for control? TCW made it easy to off a Hutt which reduces the long lifespans- sure we'll still have exemptions to it. But it changes.

Unless they say some of these Hutts were related to the Shell Hutts and thus were weaker skinned cause they should have been wearing shells but out of pride refused. lol

Was the age thing ever specifically mentioned? I've only seen the episodes on DVD, but it doesn't seem to have come up, at least not in detail. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ziro was killed far more easily than he should have been though. Perhaps that was a disruptor pistol? That would clean that up, and hopefully avoid retcons

Hopefully they'll just ignore those details and continue on as before.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well I'm hoping for tons of stuff on Hutts since they hyped this as a Hutt novel. I'd like to see Hutt cultural stuff, planets, names, Hutt history, etc. Would be really cool I think. Who knows, maybe they'll mention Jabba's son.

Yeah TCW episodes have left the EU in a place where the Hutts are new again. Retcon time! I'm still slightly irked over the need for the retcon to one of my fav villains, but after they changed everything I'm more curious what they plan to do to make the Hutts a THREAT again!!!!

How did TCW mess up the Hutts? This isn't an aggressive accusation, I just haven't seen these episodes! Smile

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 9