Star Wars: Scourge by Jeff Grubb (Hutt novel)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote  

IR2 was talking about how Ziro the Hutt got killed in TCW just by being shot a few times with a blaster pistol. Plus there's Rotta which could create some issues with the EU concept of Hutts having to stay in their parents pouch for the first 50 years of their life. Rotta isn't seen in Jabba's pouch...not too mention Jabba doesn't have a pouch...and there could be issues with how fast he's maturing.

The Rotta thing is pretty minor, and pretty much a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Jabba himself was noted to have matured fast for a Hutt and left his parent's pouch early so his parent could start training him. Ziro's death is also pretty minor. I like Henning's idea, they should say it was a disruptor pistol or something extra powerful, not a typical blaster.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
IR2 was talking about how Ziro the Hutt got killed in TCW just by being shot a few times with a blaster pistol. Plus there's Rotta which could create some issues with the EU concept of Hutts having to stay in their parents pouch for the first 50 years of their life. Rotta isn't seen in Jabba's pouch...not too mention Jabba doesn't have a pouch...and there could be issues with how fast he's maturing.

The Rotta thing is pretty minor, and pretty much a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Jabba himself was noted to have matured fast for a Hutt and left his parent's pouch early so his parent could start training him. Ziro's death is also pretty minor. I like Henning's idea, they should say it was a disruptor pistol or something extra powerful, not a typical blaster.

It seems the simplest Retcon.

About Rotta though, does it ever say how old he is when he appears in TCW?

If not, heoreticaly he could be, say, 52 at that point. We see Jabba with Gardulla (I think?) in Ep1, what's to say they weren't the parents? Or getting togehter as some other combination of relatives. Unless I've forgotten something Jabba only appears for a few minutes in any media before that, and its entirely possible that Rotta was in the pouch for more than a few years before TCW, but it was just never story-worthy before that. He could be off at Hutt Bording school well before the time of the classic Jabba stories.

And as a kid, he'd have had little importance when dealing with the falllout of Jabba's death, and could just be comming to have some power by the time of this novel. Heck, he could just be starting out in some job, and get wiped out in the coming NJO invasion and nothing about him would matter other than a curiosity of TCW.

(You'll notice i'm all for killing off as quickly as possile most of the original TCW characters).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote  

According to Wookieepedia, Rotta was born 31 BBY, so he's around 9 or 12 during the time of the show. And supposedly this is quoted from TCW Visual Guide "Unlike most Huttlets, Rotta did not spend the first fifty years of his life inside his parent's brood pouch, as Jabba wanted him to directly experience the galaxy."

It's not so much that it's wrecking canon, but that it's not reinforcing canon. As is, it's not a big deal, but it would be nice to see some in-world example of Hutts really adhering to the 50 year maturity thing instead of all of them breaking the norm.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You know, there is something that truly worries me about this novel. Yes, I know we have been complaining for a long time about no having new characters in the EU, but...

Well, Corran told Luke his dream was always to arrest a Hutt crime-lord in Nar Shadda. After the peace with the Empire, he left the military and became a full time Jedi. It has been stated a few times, he is the best investigator in the Jedi Order... And another Jedi is sent to investigate something when the Hutts are involved? I don't know. Something doesn't fit very well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I try not to let things like that bother me. There could be a million explanations. Maybe Corran was busy.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Nedara wrote:
You know, there is something that truly worries me about this novel. Yes, I know we have been complaining for a long time about no having new characters in the EU, but...

Well, Corran told Luke his dream was always to arrest a Hutt crime-lord in Nar Shadda. After the peace with the Empire, he left the military and became a full time Jedi. It has been stated a few times, he is the best investigator in the Jedi Order... And another Jedi is sent to investigate something when the Hutts are involved? I don't know. Something doesn't fit very well.

I don't see a problem with that. Horn most likely isn't the only investigator in the order, much like how the OJO wasn't the only peace-keeping force, or security force, in the Republic. They couldn't be everywhere at once, and so other agencies came in to deal with problems they couldn't rise to, and I see it the same as with Corran. He can't be everywhere, and so sends someone else to go.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interesting about rota ^^ Well, given that he's supposed to spend 50 years in the puch, where was he during ROTJ? In the pouch and died as well? or in care on Nar Shadda/Nal Hutta (he'd only be in his late 30s). Or did he die before then?

That does leave a lot of questions. He'd still be a child at this time, so he may not be useful anyway.

Interesting oddity.

As for Corran vs. new guy (name forgotten ATM), that doesn't bug me. Yes, Corran would be the first choice, but this is right before the NJO begins, and its mentioned very briefly at the beginning of Vector Prime that there's a lot of interplanetary conflicts like Rhomamool/Osarion (pardon spelling) flairing up again. He may well have been trying to deal with those so they sent someone less important to deal with this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote  

Del Rey release a mini excerpt which you can read here on their Facebook page. They also revealed in the comments when the book takes place:

Quote:
It's set after The Hand of Thrawn Duology and before Survivor's Quest on the Timeline. (ES)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Nedara wrote:

I have the same issue, but with a different character - Tionne Solusar.

Mander Zuma is a Jedi archivist. If they wanted to do something with a Jedi scholar, they already have a character still involved in the post-ROTJ EU who would benefit greatly from some backstory. Not to mention that the number of novels with main female protagonists are far too low.

I want new characters in the EU - but going FORWARD in the timeline. Going back and adding in new Jedi, like Mander Zuma, makes me wonder what happened to him afterward.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JediMara77 wrote:
Not to mention that the number of novels with main female protagonists are far too low.

Leia? Jaina? Tahiri? Saba? Padme? Ahsoka? Callista? Vestara? Abeloth? Winter? Allana? Aurra Sing?

I'm sorry, but there are PLENTY of female protagonists in all the different eras of the EU. And those are just "main" protagonists, I'm not even touching myriad minor ones.

And it's pretty good for a franchise geared toward young boys - though anyone with an imagination can enjoy it if its right up their alley. But let's be honest too - the male SW fans far outnumber the female ones. That's like me tuning into the Lifetime Network and complaining that the number of films on the network that cater to men are far too low.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote  

With the main series books, female characters do get their fair share of page time. There's always Leia and Jaina, and often enough there are others showing up, taking center stage (like Allana) and being shown as the villains (Daala, Vestara).

Now with the stand alone novels, it's still a good mix. Zahn has Mara as the star, and even Kemp and Karpyshyn use female characters in major roles.

It is kind of hard to see females being snubbed in the EU.

Now as for Jeff Grubb not using Corran and Tionne, I can completely understand this. He's new to Star Wars and probably doesn't have time to read the entire Bantam era in order to properly handle a bunch of pre-existing characters. Like Kemp, he probably wanted to be able to use all new characters. It just happens that the roles he's using could have been filled by some existing characters in a way that would have greatly pleased fans. It's a missed opportunity, but I'm not going to hold it against Grubb.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Quote:
Leia? Jaina? Tahiri? Saba? Padme? Ahsoka? Callista? Vestara? Abeloth? Winter? Allana? Aurra Sing?

Yes, they are all in the books, and have large roles - but has a book ever been written surrounding a female character as the MAIN protagonist? I'm talking in the vein of I, Jedi or Shadows of Mindor or Crosscurrent/Riptide. The only one that comes to mind is Tatooine Ghost, but that was more of a Han/Leia book. (There could be more in the prequel era. I'm not familiar with those novels.) Oh, and Dark Journey, and how long ago was that?

Quote:
That's like me tuning into the Lifetime Network and complaining that the number of films on the network that cater to men are far too low.

I say this only because the Jedi Order already had an archivist in Tionne. Trust me, I love my male characters, and I understand how Star Wars works.
Of course, I could really love Mander and not care by the time the book comes out. We'll see.

Quote:
It is kind of hard to see females being snubbed in the EU.

I'm not saying they're being snubbed, per se. Perhaps my bigger issue is Del Rey not making good use of characters they already have.

(or that they killed off the most popular female character grumble grumble what?)

Quote:
It's a missed opportunity, but I'm not going to hold it against Grubb.

I don't either. I'm still going to read the book and I hope to enjoy it. But if I don't, I'll just keep wishing it was about Tionne. Just like I still wish that Shadow Games had been Holostar starring Wynnsa Starflare. Wink Laughing

(And yes I know about the Nomi Sunrider book and it's on my most anticipated list for the year!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote  

Mini-excerpt #2 via Star Wars Books

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's a great excerpt to wet once's appetite....

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Lord Ree'dius wrote:
That's a great excerpt to wet once's appetite....

*whet

(apologies for my silliness Wink )

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 9