Star Wars: Scourge by Jeff Grubb (Hutt novel)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I've seen the term used by others too so this on it's wn says nothing. It would be nice if it where a YV of course.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote  

Just to clarify, the use of the word Jeedai in this book has nothing to do with the Yuuzhan Vong. If you re-watch Return of the Jedi, when Jabba says Jedi it sounds like "Jeedai." That's all it is, just some Outer Rim slang.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^^^ I agree with Skulz here.
It is unlikely for a YV to appear in this novel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It's also used by the Morgukai in Republic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote  

I'm 3/4 of the way through the book so far, and I'm really enjoying. It's not so much that it's a Hutt novel and I love Hutts (though I am digging all the cool Hutt stuff) but it's all the fun things Jeff Grubb does. He get's opportunities in the story to do the same old boring stuff, and instead he does something completely new. It's refreshing.

There's also a very heavy mystery subplot which still has me guessing.

It's also worth noting that Jeff's work with the Star Wars RPG stuff really shows in this book. He mentions a lot of cool detail stuff. He doesn't feel like a new author. He feels like a seasoned expert of the EU. I get the feeling that he's very comfortable in the setting.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Isn't this coming out in December?! I didn't know you could get advanced copies this early. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Isn't this coming out in December?! I didn't know you could get advanced copies this early. Confused

Scoundrels comes out in December, this book comes out at the end of this month bro Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh. Embarassed

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha dude don't sweat it. I thought the exact same thing for a second when I read Skul's post, but I 'amazon-ed it' and realized it was the other way around so no worries!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I'm 3/4 of the way through the book so far, and I'm really enjoying. It's not so much that it's a Hutt novel and I love Hutts (though I am digging all the cool Hutt stuff) but it's all the fun things Jeff Grubb does. He get's opportunities in the story to do the same old boring stuff, and instead he does something completely new. It's refreshing.

There's also a very heavy mystery subplot which still has me guessing.

It's also worth noting that Jeff's work with the Star Wars RPG stuff really shows in this book. He mentions a lot of cool detail stuff. He doesn't feel like a new author. He feels like a seasoned expert of the EU. I get the feeling that he's very comfortable in the setting.

I do wish more "new" authors to the EU took some time to do a bit more background research in their writing. It really makes a major difference in the enjoyability of a book I find.

I'm glad to hear that that's present here.

While this isn't a top of my list want, I'm happy to give it a try as a nice fill-in book that gives us a look at galactic events that don't involve the major players.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The preview in the back of Apocalypse did a lot to convince me that I want to get this book. I liked Mander - that he was more of a thinker, and not particularly adept at fighting. Or maybe it's merely that I've been thinking about a detective-style Star Wars story recently. I'll have to find a way to free up some money so I can get this.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote  

It's worth getting. I liked it. And even thought I'm completely biased because of my love for Hutts, Mander was a really cool Jedi. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
It's worth getting. I liked it. And even thought I'm completely biased because of my love for Hutts, Mander was a really cool Jedi. Cool

I would find that just an additional reason, not a bias, as that's part of why I'll be getting it to Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote  

Additional reason, much better way to put it Wink

I've been reading the Tempest Feud RPG book just to see how closely it aligned with the novel. I recommend staying away from it and Wookieepedia cause it'll spoil parts of the book.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Additional reason, much better way to put it Wink

I've been reading the Tempest Feud RPG book just to see how closely it aligned with the novel. I recommend staying away from it and Wookieepedia cause it'll spoil parts of the book.

Tempest Feud RPG?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 6 of 9